Are "cheat" days a wise idea?

Options
Having “cheat” days in the past has certainly helped me with the psychological parts of dieting (i.e. sticking to it) as I believe that trying to be 100% strict 100% of the time will ultimately lead to failure.

However from a purely physical point of view is it a good idea? Will one day (or in my case one evening) a week eating stuff I avoid the other six days of the week cause setbacks in my weight loss?

Friends have given me conflicting advice so far. Some have said that eating high cal/ carb/ fat food(s) even on just one day will essentially erase all the good work I have done through the week. Another has said that my appetite will be naturally less now I’m losing the weight (which it does appear to be) so even when I have the opportunity to eat what I like I’m unlikely to gorge myself and a few extra cals/ carbs/ fats eaten periodically might even help kick start a metabolism that has adapted to having less.

Can anyone advise?

Replies

• mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I think it can help IF you still meet your weekly calorie goal. Or IF you have so much weight to lose that going 15% or more over your calorie goal for the week isn't going to matter much. Otherwise, I wouldn't.

It takes me a long time to burn off 400 calories through activity and about 60 seconds to take it in by eating a brownie. If I ate like a king for a day I could blow my whole week of deficits easily. No thanks.

I think it can also make you miss eating indiscriminately like that the other 6 days. I think it's good to learn that our food choices always matter. Overeating can be like a drug for some. You wouldn't want to just smoke cigarettes one day a week if you were trying to quit. A lot of people quit craving the junk food if they just give it up completely or eat it very rarely;
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    I think that it's a pefectly fine idea. It give you a reprieve if you're being really strict and so you don't get board, you enjoy some form of a reward.
    No one likes monotony
  • TimeWarp9
    TimeWarp9 Posts: 91
    Options
    In my experience, a 'cheat' day every once in awhile actually helped in more ways than just the psychological benefits. It seemed (in my case) that an occasional switch up actually helped kickstart additional losses by giving my metabolism a bit of jolt. I didn't do it every week - I tried that, but it turned out to be detrimental to losses - but every once in a while. Define once in a while? I did a couple to three times a month - no set schedule. My attitude was that I was trying to accomplish a lifestyle change - but I still wanted to have a life! :smile:
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I personally don't have "cheat" days because I refuse to diet. My plan has been to eat healthier and keep within my calorie goal. However, I hear that cheat days are supposed to keep you from going overboard when eating the things you like that are high in calories.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I have one every Friday. It has not stopped my weight loss at all. These are the reasons why I think a cheat/spike once a week is good.

1. Mentally: It keeps me on track for the other 6 days. If there is something that I want to eat, I know that I can have it Friday.

2. Good Example for my kids: I think it is good for my kids to see that I eat healthy, but I can still have treats with them. Again, it is Friday when we eat out and have dessert.

3. I have read that as we eat less to lose weight, our bodies will adjust to that lower calorie intake. By spiking my calories once a week, this will keep my body from resetting to a lower calorie need.

Now, I can usually gain 2 pounds after a spike day, but by Monday that is gone. I think it is water weight from the carbs because I spike my carbs on Fridays too. There is no way that the 2 pounds is fat...that means that I would have to eat almost 10000 calories in one day to gain two pounds of fat. (3500*2 + 2250 TDEE) I am not eating that much on a spike day.
  • cvance3
    cvance3 Posts: 64
    Options
    My fiance & I are reading the "Four Hour Body" by Tim Ferriss, which he is an advocate for eating yourself silly once a week. Based off his personal research, the "binge day" sends your body into metabolic shock. After even a few days of no simple sugars, our bodies work more efficiently (aka: requiring LESS calories to do the same work) so by giving it a blast of carbs or sugars once a week, you're throwing it off of being too efficient. Its the same idea with working out & weight lifting - if you do the same thing every day, your body doesn't require the same amount of effort to complete the task, but by switching your routine up, your body has to react differently to the change.

Hope that's not too confusing!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I think that it's a pefectly fine idea. It give you a reprieve if you're being really strict and so you don't get board, you enjoy some form of a reward.
    No one likes monotony

for me cheating is cheating. The approach I have finally found is not ever being "too" strict and not getting bored. I dont consider my decision to limit junk like candy a deprivation. People who say they will be deprived if they dont have an occasional cupcake are setting themselves up. If you want a cupcake, then plan for it, or fit it into your calories and have it.

some believe a cheat day is helpful and some say it isnt necessary if your plan is already sensible. whatever works for you is what works for you. try it and see
  • rmalford
    rmalford Posts: 58
    Options
    Cheat days will happen it seems. I suspect that using them as a "reward" reinforces the concept of food=love or something along that line, and may be psychologically confusing. Thinking of food as fuel might be more accurate. I know that a cheat cigarette seemed to lead to eventually re-starting smoking. Now after a couple of decades not smoking, a cheat cigarette just makes me gag...

From a physical viewpoint, a cheat day really couldn't change much.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Having “cheat” days in the past has certainly helped me with the psychological parts of dieting (i.e. sticking to it) as I believe that trying to be 100% strict 100% of the time will ultimately lead to failure.

This is enough reason to utilize a cheat day.
    However from a purely physical point of view is it a good idea? Will one day (or in my case one evening) a week eating stuff I avoid the other six days of the week cause setbacks in my weight loss?

This depends on where you end up for energy balance by end of week.
    Friends have given me conflicting advice so far. Some have said that eating high cal/ carb/ fat food(s) even on just one day will essentially erase all the good work I have done through the week.

They cannot say this with certainty unless they know your net deficit throughout the non cheat days and the surplus on your cheat day. Without this information they are probably talking out of their *kitten*. I also don't say *kitten* in normal conversation but it was so fun right there.

Another has said that my appetite will be naturally less now I’m losing the weight (which it does appear to be) so even when I have the opportunity to eat what I like I’m unlikely to gorge myself and a few extra cals/ carbs/ fats eaten periodically might even help kick start a metabolism that has adapted to having less.

In my opinion it takes much more than a single day of overfeeding to have an appreciable effect on hormone levels and metabolism. I could be wrong on that.

I say, incorporate a cheat day and monitor results for 1 month. Adjust the cheat day or the steady deficit (or both) as needed based on results.
  • losingitincollege
    losingitincollege Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    "Cheat Days" vary from person to person. For instance, my friend has one day a week where she pigs out on whatever she wants. I, however, will treat myself whenever the opportunity arises and I know that I've the calories to splurge.

This way has worked best for me! I've found that when I eat a bunch of junk in a single day it throws me off nutritionally and it's way harder to get back into the swing of things.

Plus, I like being able to enjoy a slice of pizza or a muffin whenever I want! :)
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I don't do "cheat days" because I don't want to stay in the mindset of rewarding myself with food.

If I feel like going out or eating something kind of junky I do it, I just try to make reasonably wise choices, not completely stuff myself, and compensate by doing some extra exercise.
  • plbrown81
    plbrown81 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Its a personal decision. I did extremely well when I had a cheat day in the past and ate well the rest of the time. This time around I'm allowing myself little cheats here and there - like if I crave a cookie I eat a single cookie and don't kill myself over it. However, I'm still trying to set aside a cheat DAY so that I can eat the things I craved the rest of the week. When I previously did a cheat day I found that eventually I only craved a few things, and some days I really didn't WANT to cheat.

I've known some people who can't because they can't put themselves back on track if they start. Of course, sometimes that's the benefit of a cheat DAY. If you start eating bad and have a hard time controlling after that, at least the next day you can start fresh and not feel bad about it. On the other hand, if you have a hard time getting back on track you may want to avoid the cheat days all together until you have conquered most of your cravings!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I think it can help IF you still meet your weekly calorie goal.

^^^ This.

If by "cheat day" you mean simply going over your calories, but you go UNDER your calories for a couple of days and try to keep your weekly eating reasonable, then to me that's not a "cheat day", that's just learning to be flexible.

If by "cheat day" you mean one day a week where you log nothing and intentionally eat all the foods you are not allowed in mass quantities, this runs a real risk of derailing your progress for the whole week. But, guess what? Only you are responsible for deciding how you want to go through this crazy thing we called life, and if you can self-regulate well enough to continue losing weight then you're learning valuable lessons on how you can maintain your weight after you've met your goal, and that's a good thing.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine. If I go out with friends or to a family event, I know I'm going to eat some things I don't usually and/or have a bit of alcohol. I also know I don't do this all the time and with my new lifestyle, I will exercise and eat right most of the time. We all want to be fit and healthy - but this is our one and only life. You have to enjoy it, too!
  • cfm919
    cfm919 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was about to post this same question, but what I want to know is it still ok with me just starting this monday. Please message me with answers. Thank You!
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat, I just live my life. I work out hard and stay below my calorie goals most days of the week, and if I decide to go over, I go over.

However, I also use weekly goals for calories, not daily, so by the end of the week I usually have a couple thousand stocked up for whatever I want.

Life is too damn short and unpredictable to worry about every little thing I eat.
  • amanda3588
    amanda3588 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    It's a personal choice of what works best for you.

Personally, I don't have "cheat" days. I see a lot of people write down everything they want for their "cheat" day and gorge. I don't think that's the healthiest approach, Again, it's a matter of opinion.

I focus more on controlling my portions, staying within my calories and macros and eating some unhealthier options whenever it fits into my daily goal. Yesterday I had chinese takeout but I planned the day around it to accomodate for higher calories, fat, sodium,etc. Will I have another heavy meal like that again this week? Probably not, but I will have a piece of chocolate here and there or munch on a few chips. It's all about balance, because you're right. Cutting out foods or completely eliminating them aren't long term goals, nor is it practical. But neither is stuffing my face for one day and regretting it for the next few days.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    You can "cheat" (Eat something high cal/sugar/fat) and not go stupid crazy. Do I eat pizza and sushi still? Yes. Do I eat ice cream at the new Culvers two blocks from me? Yes. Do I go bowling and drink 4 mixed drinks with friends? Yes. Do I do all of these things once a week on the same day and consume 6000 calories? No. I am never more than 200-500 calories over my TDEE and I always come in at or below my weekly goal. Just be reasonable about it.
  • Spankymonkey79
    Options
    Thanks all. Really excellent answers.

After thinking about it I don't think cheat days are for me as I'm going the way I want and don't desperately crave any junk food so eating it for the sake of it would be self defeating.

Then again if I occasionally falter (which I will cos I'm human) I'm not going to beat myself up about it.
  • mikem45
    mikem45 Posts: 35
    Options
    Rather than a cheat day I have a cheat meal every Sunday where I just have whatever I want I find this approach works best for me. Everybody needs to remember we are all different what works for me might not work for you so don't be afraid of trying new things and see how they work out for yourself. I've always been told in the end nobody can know your body better than yourself.