Anyone losing weight just by calorie control?

Options
I wanted to know if its possible to lose weight by just eating less or by doing a light exercise like walking 30minutes a day? I dont mind losing weight slowly .

Replies

• vabrewer33
    vabrewer33 Posts: 185
    Options
    If your only goal is to lose weight than yes its completely possible. But to be in good shape AND thin? Nope, that takes dedication and hard work. You will have to decrease your calories and add some serious cardio. Walking 30 minutes a day is exercise we recommend for our geriatric patients or those with injuries. Sorry to be blunt but walking is not very good exercise for young (and by that I mean less than 60 years) people. Thats just my 2 cents
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    If your only goal is to lose weight than yes its completely possible. But to be in good shape AND thin? Nope, that takes dedication and hard work. You will have to decrease your calories and add some serious cardio. Walking 30 minutes a day is exercise we recommend for our geriatric patients or those with injuries. Sorry to be blunt but walking is not very good exercise for young (and by that I mean less than 60 years) people. Thats just my 2 cents

I completely disagree. Brisk walking is a great way to get the heart rate up, requires no special equipment, and is an activity most people can do. Will walking give you ripped abs? No. Is it good exercise? Absolutely. Find me one medical professional who states otherwise. Personal trainers would probably state otherwise, as it is in their best interest, but no sane medical professional would.

People make weight loss and healthy living more difficult than it needs to be. Do what exercise is sustainable for YOU.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Of course it's possible. There is no reason to kill yourself in the gym for weight loss. Health gains come with as little as 30 minutes of a brisk walk, 5 times a week, which is why that's the recommended minimum.

N.E.A.T. (non-exercise activity thermogenesis, or moving around throughout the day but not as part of intentional 'exercise', ie, parking further, taking the stairs) has more of an effect on total calorie expenditure than discrete 'workouts'. When people do an hour of a gym workout 3-5 times a week, they typically move less the rest of the day than they would have without the workout, without even realizing it. They can negate all those calories with it. People who just have a daily movement goal instead like 10,000 steps/day often burn more overall than the gym folks.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Yes, right now I'm losing weight by doing nothing at all. But I feel terrible and it's slow and I hate it. It's so hot during the day that I can barely drag myself around the house, so I'm going to start working out at 4am or whenever it cools off a little. I can't go on like this, it's too frustrating and miserable and I wouldn't wish it on anybody.

Edit: Walking is exercise, if you go for a walk just to go walking, you're doing something besides just calorie control.
  • alumpoflard
    alumpoflard Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I only walk and count calories, and I'm doing ok, 62lb since january 1st :-)
  • KIMBAILEYWILLIAMSON
    KIMBAILEYWILLIAMSON Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    It is possible because that is what I did in the beginning and now I get on the elipitcal but didn't in the beginning so for me it was possible. Usually after you lose some weight you will want to do more but in the beginning walking was about all I could do and had to work my way up on that. Good Luck!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 lbs once with NO intentional exercise and then 35 lbs. with only walking.
  • rmalford
    rmalford Posts: 58
    Options
    Certainly. I've lost somewhere around 18# by only watching my intake of food. I've been unable to exercise recently for various reasons. Obviously exercise has other benefits but the issue is calories in v calories used.
  • jmcross1980
    Options
    Yes, it is very possible. I'd say your diet is 80% of getting in shape.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I was 335 lbs in the beginning. The first 60 lbs of weight loss was done on diet alone, no exercise at all. When I hit 275 was when I started exercising.
  • bgomey
    bgomey Posts: 4
    Options
    In the end if your calories in is less than your calories expended you will lose weight. As far as exercise goes, walking is an ideal way to start if your intention is more intense cardio in the future. The biggest mistake ive seen is people jump into running withuot first building up the connection tissue and muscles required to be able to run and end up with severe shin splints, runners knee, IT band syndrome....etc, walking will strengthen those up for you and in time a walk jog kinda a workout would be ideal followed by steadily and slowly increasing your mileage. Weight training is also a great way to burn calories too, not just running/walking.
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    That's how I lost my first 20 pounds. My next 20 will need the help of exercise!