Ok to take creatine if not lifting heavy?

Options
At the moment I'm doing Insanity and Karate. So pretty much cardio though there are strength elements like sit-ups, press-ups, squats etc. I do want to do weight training at a future point - but trying HIIT out at the moment as part of a drive to radically improve my cholesterol.

Anyway I bought some creating a couple of weeks ago as had been intending to weight train at the time and have been taking 5 grams a day but not sure if I'm really meant to be taking it if I'm not doing heavy weights?

Replies

• aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Whats the point really if you aren't lifting heavy.. Thats how I see it at least.
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Id only take what was in a pre or post workout but too much is just making your kidneys work harder...
  • bgomey
    bgomey Posts: 4
    Options
    creatine is more important for anaerobic exercise (short, high intensity routines that involve “fast twitch” muscles) than aerobic exercise (long endurance routines such as steady state cardio)

So i would say its not very important to take it right now, but not detrimental. You will see a slight volumization of your muscles due to water retention which in turn will lead to water weight gain but thats about it. You can save it for when you do jump after the weight training aspect.
  • bazfitness
    bazfitness Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    creatine is more important for anaerobic exercise (short, high intensity routines that involve “fast twitch” muscles) than aerobic exercise (long endurance routines such as steady state cardio)
    what I'm doing in Insanity involves HIIT - and afaik quite a bit of it is anaerobic.
  • bazfitness
    Options
    Id only take what was in a pre or post workout but too much is just making your kidneys work harder...

Thanks. I have a protein powder with some creatine in it, perhaps it's best to stick with this.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Save it for when you lift. Essentially, creatine helps your body store more glycogen to use while lifting. If you're concentrating more on cardio and fat burning, then too much creatine can actually sabotage those efforts, since your body will have more glycogen at it's disposal, and will burn less fat.
  • bazfitness
    Options
    Save it for when you lift. Essentially, creatine helps your body store more glycogen to use while lifting. If you're concentrating more on cardio and fat burning, then too much creatine can actually sabotage those efforts, since your body will have more glycogen at it's disposal, and will burn less fat.

Ok thanks for your reply. Sounds like I best leave it for now then.
  • SergeiKay
    SergeiKay Posts: 90 Member
    Options

Exactly. Creatine is helpful not only for lifting, but it's kind of pointless if you're not doing any explosive energy bursts. So, you'll be almost literally "pissing" your money away.
  • FlyeredUp
    FlyeredUp Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt take it even though I do lift heavy.