Runners

Options
This question is for the runners. How long did it take you to be able to run a significant distance? I can exercise on the elliptical machine for 45 minutes, but can only run for 5 minutes. I went to Piedmont Park yesterday(thinking the packed gravel would help), but still could only run about 5 minutes. I'm going to meet with the couch to 5ker's tomorrow. Just wondering if it usually takes everyone a long time to ramp up, or if I'm just not a "runner."

Replies

• Spence_
    Spence_ Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I started in March and could do about 1.5 miles (with bits of walking). Three weeks later I noticed a significant improvement and could do 2 miles (slow) without walking. End of May I ran a 10k (6.2 miles) without any walking, averaging about ten minutes per mile :) It's amazing how quickly you improve! Just stick at it and try walk, jog, walk, jog for a few weeks.

Oh and this was running every other day :)
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I run half marathon distances, but I still can only run 5 minutes at a time. 10 minutes on a really really good day.

I started running in January 2011.
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Slow your pace!! I'm a slow runner but did a 10 k race last Sunday
    In 01:25:28 3 min quicker than my training run slow your pace and work on endurance the speed will come later :-)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    In the past when I started from scratch it took about 3 weeks to be able to run 3 miles. Once I got to where I could run 3 miles further distances came very quickly.
  • indefinite00
    indefinite00 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Another quick question, if I slow my pace and run further, is that as effective(burning calories) as running quicker with less distance?
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I started C25K the tuesday after Memorial Day. I struggled on day 1. I'm now up to running 12 minutes at a stretch (which is a little over a mile). I'm not following the program exactly, but using the concept. I don't run the fastest, but I'm going for endurance at the moment, since I've never been a runner!
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    it takes as long as it takes - for you! Slowly slowly catchy monkey!!

be patient - people you see running like it doesnt fizz on them have been running for YEARS week in week out.

Just do your runs and before long you will be doing stuff that you thought you never could do. Last year I wondered if could manage to run 10k - last night i did 10k in an hour as a slow run. It's all relative. Did i say "be patient"
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I'm a former cross-country runner and I was pretty quick over shorter distances too-- I had my mile down to under 7 minutes.

That was a long time ago, though I'm still a casual runner. But I drop out of it every so often, and every time I start running again, it's hard, it hurts, and my lungs and heart really get worked up.

What I do is intervals. After I warm up, run (don't jog! only one foot allowed on the ground at a time!) at a pace that's difficult but I want to go at least 1-2 minutes without stopping. Then I walk for as long as it takes to get my breath back, not too slow, not too fast. Then run again. I do this for 30 minutes or so. It usually takes a few weeks to get to running the whole time, then I either extend my time or start to push my speed.

If you've got the time and you think a marathon might be fun someday, by all means do longer slower runs. It won't be as efficient as far as burning calories goes, but just keep running until you get the burn you want.
  • indefinite00
    Options
    last night i did 10k in an hour as a slow run.

Congrats!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I used to run for about ten minutes at a time and just recently started trying to run five miles twice a week. I'm slow and walk a bit when I feel like my calves are about to explode. Make sure you pace yourself, keep a positive attitude and just make yourself do it! :smile:
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Come join our club!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

I started four weeks ago barely able to run 30 seconds; now I'm doing 5 minutes repeatedly with walks inbetween. Amazing what we can do when we put our minds to it.
  • immarungirl
    immarungirl Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am on my 2nd week of C25K app on my iphone and I noticed today running on the treadmill I ran faster and for a longer distance. One day I will take it to the street :smile:
  • wiglett
    wiglett Posts: 53
    Options
    my dietician told me to slow it down because i like to run short and fast so now I go slower and farther. you burn carbs for quick release energy at a higher heart rate, the slower the heart rate, you burn energy from fat stores.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I Used to HATE running. I just "wasn't a runner" and I'd do 5 or 10 minutes and basically get bored and give up. I started setting a goal of distance instead of time and gave myself permission to cover that distance however I wanted, walking, running, or a combination. I started by walking/running and gradually the running got easier and I spent less time walking. This way you don't have to totally give up and you can see your time improve over that same distance as you get better. Plus it motivated me to keep running because the faster I went the faster I was done!
  • indefinite00
    Options
    Come join our club!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

I started four weeks ago barely able to run 30 seconds; now I'm doing 5 minutes repeatedly with walks inbetween. Amazing what we can do when we put our minds to it.

Joined! Thanks!
  • slim_photographer
    slim_photographer Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    It took me about 3 months to start running/jogging more than 30 mins at a time. Even following the c25k program I just did over any session that I couldn't do as in the program.
    Keep in mind that there's no shame in taking walking breaks.
    I ran a 5k in 24 mins years ago, so if I'm not a runner you are neither but if you can run 8 min miles for 3 miles that's pretty good still :)
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    When I trained for my first marathon, I had never run before. I joined a running group that followed USA Fit's training schedule. During the week, you run a timed run and on the weekends you do a distance run. I think we started out with 30 minutes during the week and the first long run was only a mile. So, you'll build up your distance slowly.

There was no way I could run 30 minutes or one mile without stopping, so I also incorporated Jeff Galloway's interval running/walking into my runs. So, at first, I would run for 2 minutes, walk for 2 minutes. Do that your first week. Then the following week, run 4 minutes, walk 1 minute, etc.....Before you know it, you'll be running without stopping! Good luck!
  • fabafter5
    fabafter5 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It took me awhile to get a good mileage up now I can run 10 miles (walking some). Have you heard of the running group Black Girls Run? My niece went from couch to just finishing her first half marathon! The group is a natioanl organization that gives running support to Sistas. You train together and they are on the sidelines cheering their members on at all the local races. My niece is part of the Cleveland group. I checked to see if they have one in my area and they don't but I inquired about starting one. Check your area!
  • jon40084
    jon40084 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Read no need for speed - it turned my running around. I could only do 20 mins but after reading this I could run forever.
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Bump