Trying to love & respect myself enough to look like I do

Options
I just started here today. My whole adult life has been dedicated to others. I'm a 36 year old single mom (a good one at that) who's struggled with being fluffy her whole life. I've been fit before (even ran track in high school) but once I get to the goal, I stop. I have to learn to adopt fitness as a lifestyle. I need to do this for me and I now know I that I need support to get there. I really....REALLY hate diets. I'm a bi-polar eater (fruits & veggies for lunch - Little Debbies for dinner) but my hope initially is to get moving and at least start with that.

Replies

• katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I love your "bi-polar eater"! I've been there! I'd do good all day, then stop at the store on the way home, buy an unhealthy snack, then go downhill from there. This is a great site - lots of motivation and great ideas. Good luck with your journey!
  • bf43005
    bf43005 Posts: 287
    Options
    Welcome! This is a great place to start. I like knowing I have to put in what I eat in my Diary. It keeps me from eating junk constantly. You can add me if you would like. I'm 30 (almost 31) no kids yet but I would like to make this a lifestyle change as well. My family is big on just eating and doing what they want, and it shows in their weight.
  • SCSleeve2012
    SCSleeve2012 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    "bi-polar eater" LOVE IT! I've been there! Lots of motivation and great ideas. Good luck!
  • lynseybreit
    Options
    I think once you get a visual on what those little debbies are doing to your diet in terms of numbers, you'll have a change of heart. That makes me feel very accountable for eating garbage!
  • ramgi
    ramgi Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I like you already. You admitted to being a great mom:-) You totally rock! Add me as a friend if you want.
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    I so also love your "bi-polar eater" term you just made up! When my family sees me doing this they go nuts, but to me it indicates I'm trying and succeeding half the time :P I agree with others that the more you come here, talk to others, and make your best effort every day the better it gets.

I just had a two week long plateau that was induced by my poor diet choices! But instead of saying oh well I ruined my diet I decided to keep going and I've relost all the weight I regained. lol. Keep with it and you will make yourself happy as you achieve your goals here! :flowerforyou:
  • PangelJ
    PangelJ Posts: 28
    Options
    Glad to have you here! I know this has been a great start for me too!~
    Welcome!
  • Iron_Maiden
    Iron_Maiden Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I'm super excited to be here!! I feel sorta like I've blown the dust off my mojo and am getting things back in gear! Cheers to great beginnings!
  • Ridesredmule
    Options
    What do I put in to show I want to walk, not run. I'm 65 years and I don't want to be shaking up everything but I want to move.
    I joined yesterday.
    I'm not very good with Diets. When I get hungry I get to be a Bear. I can't bear myself...:-)) I'm sure no one else could either....
    I believe this is a very good start....
  • fitandstrongmommy
    fitandstrongmommy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    welcome, I think you will find this site very helpful. i have only been on for a week the people have been wonderful
  • ernieb83
    ernieb83 Posts: 8
    Options
    Everyone needs an occasional treat....I'm right there with you! I have been finding that I can still treat myself to a degree. Instead of buying a tub of Breyers Ice Cream and eating however I want of it (cuz usually it's as full as I can fill a bowl lol) I'll go buy the little Skinny Cow 1 serving size cup of frozen yogurt or their ice cream sandwiches. Instead of Little Debbies, I will have fat-free pudding or a weight watchers Mint Cookie Crisp or something. There are ways to treat yourself and not be SO bad as long as you watch portions. :)
  • ChristinaBarnhouse
    ChristinaBarnhouse Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I love the "Bi-Polar Eater"... kinda sounds like me too! You will always have your good days and your bad days. Just remember to always get up and get back on the track if you fall off! :happy:
  • miatavixxen
    miatavixxen Posts: 373
    Options
    Awesome phraseology! From one bi-polar eater to another, track your foods, If you know you have to hold yourself accounting in writing for that twinkie you are holding in your hand you just may make a better decision. Love the "dust off the mojo" - with you on that one. Gotta put on my big girl pants, hold myself accountable for my choices and get a move on.

Welcome!
  • b_fit4life
    b_fit4life Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! MFP has helped me lose 31 pounds since January 23!! It really does help with making concious decisions about food choices. The community here is awesome when it comes to getting suggestions. One of my favorite indulgences is No Pudge Brownies! It's a brownie mix that you just add yogurt to before baking it...I can eat a whole rich fudgie brownie for only 120 cals! Brilliant!