Runners

Options

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I started with only being able to go about a 1/2 mile before having to walk (in late March, early April). Now, I can run 3 miles straight and am training for a half marathon.

Don't worry about your speed.....that will come with time. I started with a 13 minute mile. Today I did 3 miles at 11min/mile each. Your time will improve on its own. Just focus on your distance!

The only advice I have for you is that if you are going to run longer distances, get properly fitted for shoes. The right shoes will make all the difference in your comfort level and ability to run farther. Go to a specialty running store and find out what kind of stride and foot strike you have and buy a pair of shoes recommended for that.

Good luck & Congrats on getting started!!! :)
  • HeartME511healthy
    HeartME511healthy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    This question is for the runners. How long did it take you to be able to run a significant distance? I can exercise on the elliptical machine for 45 minutes, but can only run for 5 minutes. I went to Piedmont Park yesterday(thinking the packed gravel would help), but still could only run about 5 minutes. I'm going to meet with the couch to 5ker's tomorrow. Just wondering if it usually takes everyone a long time to ramp up, or if I'm just not a "runner."

start with your five minutes and add another 5 min everyother day or once aweek. Not sure how fast or how long you want to run for, however adding is a good thing, and at times we have to push ourselves to the uncomfortable to increase... I was only a 3 mile jogger, however I knew I needed to step my game up so I would add a mile per 4 days, then stoped at 7 miles I had a friend @bizeebec150, who wanted me to join her for a half marathon, and I did, her training method for this was to start at 6 miles and add one mile every Saturday come the marathon, I was ready to do the 13.1 miles and to my surprise it was awesome did my first half marathon May 12th in 2 h 40 min
  • WhoDat5o4
    WhoDat5o4 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    be kind and patient to yourself!! be kind to your body and listen to it! I was never a runner as a kid. I'd struggle to run one mile. Over the years i sort of became a runner able to run 45-50 minutes no stops. one day i decided to push myself and run 75 minutes no stopping to see if I could do it. I did do it, and messed up both knees in the process. Couldn't run 5 minutes without terrible pain. Stopped running for 2 months and went to physical therapy. Just starting again a few days ago with baby steps, 15-20 min max. It sucks to go backwards but I am thankful to God to be able to run again at all.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    It took me about 15 weeks to go from couch to completing 5K. So a LONG time LOL.
  • NakAttack
    NakAttack Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I would say slow your pace. I have been running now for just a year...June 2011 C25K grad. I am now up to 5 miles but I do not run it VERY fast. I am an 11'30" mile but can run forever at this pace. I have plans to try for a half marathon in November, but do KNOW that I will not be running the miles in less than 11'00". I am okay with that...I LOVE to run!!!!
  • Mceastes
    Mceastes Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Most people start exactly where you are. I sure did. Just be patients, soon that 5 minutes turns into 6 and then 10. It happens over time. Don't push yourself too soon and keep a slow pace. You'll get there!
  • bholmes21
    bholmes21 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It takes time to build up. Everyone is different and going from an elliptical to running on the ground is totally different and works you very differently. It took me a few months to get up to being able to comfortably run 3 miles and now I've completed a half marathon and run 15--20 miles a week (on a good week). Find a running program C25K seems to help a lot of people get started and once you get past the three keep building till you get to where you want to be. There are TONS of training programs that give you a weekly schedule on how far to run when to do cross training etc.

hang in there. If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask I can TRY to help :)
  • theresmynapkin
    theresmynapkin Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Anyone can be a runner. I never thought I was because running used to make my vision black out for like 15 seconds or so at a time. Then I bought a treadmill and started doing the walk/jog thing. It took me about a month to be running for a substantial amount of time.
  • bxbutterfly
    bxbutterfly Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    i by no means consider myself a runner. i've started and stopped C25K a couple of times..i've also run with BGR(black girls run here in atlanta) which has been very motivating. my bodysculpting teacher makes us run on leg day so with all these things i've seen myself improve. i've been able to run almost 2 miles without stopping. i'm a slow runner and i'm working on endurance. once i conquer endurance then i will tackle speed.

i can say one thing i've come to really like running. the sense of accomplishment really makes me feel good.

happy running
  • bxbutterfly
    bxbutterfly Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I started with only being able to go about a 1/2 mile before having to walk (in late March, early April). Now, I can run 3 miles straight and am training for a half marathon.

Don't worry about your speed.....that will come with time. I started with a 13 minute mile. Today I did 3 miles at 11min/mile each. Your time will improve on its own. Just focus on your distance!

The only advice I have for you is that if you are going to run longer distances, get properly fitted for shoes. The right shoes will make all the difference in your comfort level and ability to run farther. Go to a specialty running store and find out what kind of stride and foot strike you have and buy a pair of shoes recommended for that.

i agree with this poster. since you are in atlanta i would say go to peachtree running or Phidippides. i got fitted and its made my running so much better.
  • edieness
    edieness Posts: 9
    Options
    C25k is awesome. I started it in April and then I couldn't even run for a whole min. Now I can run 5 miles. The thing that suddenly made my efforts easy was the discovery of the jog. Its not a race and it's supposed to be enjoyable. I finished the program in 6 wks and I'm betting u might to since u already have gym machine endurance... but if u don't no biggy. It depends on each person. Sometimes u may have to repeat a week; other times u might feel like a super hero and do two run sessions in one day... you may be a speed demon or u might be a comfort runner. The key is to figure out what speed makes it feel like fun and do that. One Day you'll be a runner and you'll feel super.
  • jonnyb62
    jonnyb62 Posts: 426
    Options
    Agree with a whole lot of what has been stated here - slow down, keep at it, and be patient. Significant improvement will come quickly, but remember to keep track of that improvement. Don't feel like you aren't succeeding because you haven't met some magical time or distance - you are succeeeding every time you take another step.

Lastly, you adressed your OP to the runners. YOU are a runner. You became one the first step you took on that first run. I overuse the following because it's how I and the millions of other runners feel --- Runners run, period. Some runners run ultra-marathons and some run/walk intervals as little as a minute or two at a time. Then there are all of the rest of us who are somewhere in between. Welcome to the club!
  • Rebroland
    Rebroland Posts: 92 Member
    Options

I cannot echo this enough! When I first started running I had shin splints and really bad knee pain. I went to a running only store and they watched me walk and fit me properly. Turns out I have a pronation and I was also wearing shoes that were 1/2 a size too big. After a few runs with the new shoes - I have no knee pain! and no shin splints (provided I stretch really well before & after)

So anyways - I started C25K on Jan 3rd. I ran my first 5K on April 7th. I lost motivation a little after that and only ran sporadically. (had a lot going on with work and school and wedding planning etc). Three weeks ago I decided that I wanted to run a 5 miler. I was able to work myself back up to where I'd left off and ran my first 5 miler this past Sunday. I did it in an hour and 4 minutes (13 minute miles). Right now I'm training for a 10k that I am doing on July 4th. I want to do a half marathon this fall.

What worked for me is to not focus on the time - work on the distance and the time will come. I am a very slow runner. I eventually want to work myself up to a 10 minute mile - but I'm going to focus on distance and the time will come as I train.

Good luck!!
  • indefinite00
    indefinite00 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    YOU are a runner.

Thank you everyone! I will incorporate the tips suggested. @jonnyb62 that made me smile :)
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Took me months to string together more than a few minutes at a time! I kept stopping and starting and repeating weeks in a C25K program.

If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how far, how long, or how fast. If you run, you are a runner. :drinker:
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    This question is for the runners. How long did it take you to be able to run a significant distance? I can exercise on the elliptical machine for 45 minutes, but can only run for 5 minutes. I went to Piedmont Park yesterday(thinking the packed gravel would help), but still could only run about 5 minutes. I'm going to meet with the couch to 5ker's tomorrow. Just wondering if it usually takes everyone a long time to ramp up, or if I'm just not a "runner."

I am a distance runner (working on my second marathon at the moment) but started at the same place you are, could run 5 minutes then felt like dying. It takes a while to ramp up, running is a very different form of exercise than other activities, especially when you're learning to run outside and it's not assisted by the motion of a machine. Stick with it, I always had minutes in mind, I'd run as far as I could then walk until I was done my 30 minutes of training. Once you hit 17 minutes straight it goes a lot better because you start getting the fun endorphins which make you feel like you can run forever. At least that was my experience! it took me about 3 weeks of consistently working on it every day to be able to run 17 minutes straight.
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    Options

Lots of good advice above. My thoughts echo the "slow it down' mantra as well but intervals are a great way to train your body to go faster but give you the ability to rest.

When I did intervals initially, I could run 6 mph for 10 minutes but anything past that wore me down quickly. For my intervals, I would run 6 mph for 2 minutes, walk 2 minutes, run 7 mph for 2 minutes, walk 2 minutes, run 7.5 mph for 2 minutes, walk 2 minutes, then ramp it back down to 6 mph. Depending on your initial fitness, the numbers may vary. By ramping up and back down, it allowed me to warm up to speed but also by slowing down later, it kept my heartrate in a range where I was burning fat too. On the days when I wasn't doing intervals, I would run as long at 6 mph as I felt comfortable, than take a two minute walking break, than go again.

After a couple years and losing 20 lbs since February on MFP, I typically run 9 mph when I do 2 minute intervals and 8 mph when I'm running 4 minute intervals. I no longer ramp up and down. I can knock out 20 minutes at 7 mph whenever I feel like it and I'm very happy with my improvement. A lot of times I just run at 6.2 to 6.3 mph just to take it easy. If you stick with it, you'll find out that you can make dramatic improvements over time. Don't get caught up in keeping up with others. Life is a race with yourself. Oh, and even though I was a good runner in high school and have improved dramatically, I have no desire to run in a half marathon or anything like that. Don't feel obligated to do that.
  • WhoDat5o4
    WhoDat5o4 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    the only person you have to compete with in running is yourself. we're all a bunch of apples and oranges out here lol.
  • halhix
    halhix Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've just started running myself. I noticed that I have engaged different muscles when running free and outdoors versus running on an elliptical. You need to just take your time. Once I started running outdoors, I've given up running on the elliptical or treadmill pretty much altogether. I ran my first mountain trail race this past weekend and I'm in the Peachtree Road Race on July 4th.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Another quick question, if I slow my pace and run further, is that as effective(burning calories) as running quicker with less distance?

The calories burned are a function of time, velocity and distance (we'll leave sprinters out of this as that's a whole different story - they're going anaerobic).

I'm with the "slow down and run longer" camp as longer slow runs are the ones that build your endurance, as your endurance improves you can either run even longer or start focusing on speed (in a perfect world you'd do a little of both, varying your workouts between speed & endurance).