Bodyweight Exercise + Bad Knees

Options
So last night and the night before I did a bunch of squats, no weights, just me. I haven't done any strength exercises in quite a while. Last night I woke up around 1am with extreme knee pain, which faded after I made myself get up and hobble around a bit. Today my knees are just a little achy. But I'm worried about the knee pain as my knees have misbehaved a lot in the past. What's the best way to make sure I don't really hurt myself? Should I not be doing squats at all? Are there other exercises I can do to prevent the pain?

Replies

• Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Proper form is essential. Don't let your knees go past your toes -- it puts stress on your joints.
  • spartacus69
    spartacus69 Posts: 235
    Options
    Maybe you just overdid it, but have you seen a doctor or physical therapist about your knee issues?
  • Selfmadepsyche
    Selfmadepsyche Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I haven't been to a doctor about it since high school. That might be a good idea.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    No, go swimming and let your knees heal.
    I have to really watch it myself, and swimming is a great exercise when your body is not 100%
    Have fun and good luck:drinker:
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    you have to build your knees up just like any other boy part....the muscles around your knee are just as weak(or fit) as the rest of your body....so next time you should probably wear an ace bandage just for support. but def don't completely give up, its all about streghtnening them too.....I had knee surgery when i was twelve and my dr used to make me do squats against the wall and hold my opsition for as long as i could, or sit on a high enough spot where your legs hang, place a rolled up towel inbewtween your legs and life one leg at a time while squeezing the towel
  • Selfmadepsyche
    Selfmadepsyche Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Oh, I wish I could go swimming, but that's an expensive hobby in NYC. I guess I could sit in my bathtub and splash water everywhere!
  • ShaSimone
    ShaSimone Posts: 276
    Options
    No, go swimming and let your knees heal.
    I have to really watch it myself, and swimming is a great exercise when your body is not 100%
    Have fun and good luck:drinker:

This^^

I was doing lots of squats, lunges, and running so much my knees were taking a beating.
    I got an awesome workout in the pool yesterday, it will give your joints a break.
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I have a bad knee and I work through it. I just finished 60 days of P90x and some days are harder than others on my knee. I take advil and use Icy Hot on it when it acts up. I use good form and when my knee starts feeling like its had enough I stop and rest. If you are concerned you can go to your dr to check to make sure all is good. Otherwise it could just be pain from strengthening around the knee.