The Scale in a Doctor's Office

Options

Replies

• Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Forget what the Dr.'s scale said. Go by your own scale. Either way it doesnt matter. The scale is only ONE gauge for weight loss. I tend to rely more on how my clothes fit.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Dr office said 140lbs two weeks ago, I'm actually 136-137. I hadn't eaten anything when I went, but yeah it's the calibration factor plus clothes.
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    Same for me.

I weigh in undies before breakfast or drinking anything.

So I'd put on clothes, eat some food and drink water, coffee.

That adds up to a few pounds! But if the difference were really big like 7 lbs I'd be looking for a new scale unless I had an enormous bkfst or heavy clothes.
  • phitless
    phitless Posts: 9
    Options
    We recently purchased a digital scale to place our old analog one. The first time I stepped on, I was 5 lbs heavier. Not knowing which was more accurate to my actual weight, I decided to measure the precision (yes, I geek out on numbers). So for a week, I measured myself with both and consistently there was a 5 lb difference even as my weight fluctuated normally. So while I may not know my "true weight", I can still see trends. Am I losing, gaining, or maintaining?
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    My winter clothes weigh 2 to 2.5 lbs. My summer outfits up to 1.5 lbs. I don't stand naked at the Doctor's office like I do at home LOL. And it's usually afternoon instead of first thing in the am when I go to the doctor's. But, I do think my scale is less accurate then theirs by probably 2 lbs. My visits usually have me 4 to 5 lbs. heavier at the Doctor's.
  • natvanessa
    natvanessa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I had my annual recently, and I was in a paper gown no shoes (so basically naked), it was early morning and I hadn't eaten or drank.
    The scale was 10 pounds over my scale at home!!

I was kinda freaked because I wondered if maybe my scale at home is wrong, and the doctor's is maybe correct. But whatever, I'm just gonna stick to the scale at hiome cause I can see gains/losses on that one consistently. This thread makes me feel a little better though!
  • lil_bit_crazy
    lil_bit_crazy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I think I need a new scale. Got on mine yesterday and it spun around and said "to be continued" .....
  • Ashatack
    Ashatack Posts: 41
    Options
    Maybe your home scale is the one thas off.... ?
  • vltaylor35
    vltaylor35 Posts: 72
    Options
    all of my patients say that my scales weight them differently to their scales at home. my work scales weigh lighter (about 3 pounds)even though i am fully dressed and would have eaten. therefore they are my favourite scales to stand on!
  • epmck11
    epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    When I get weighed at the doctor's office, they have me keep my shoes on. Obviously I will weigh probably about 2 pounds more with my shoes on than without.
  • Joanne_8595
    Joanne_8595 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    We recently switched doctors and my husband got weighed not long before the change at the previous office, and as usual was about 5 lbs off. The new docs office weighs him at 26 lbs more than our home scales, and the same with me. I refuse to weigh myself at their office anymore, because there simply is no way that all the other scales in town are wrong and theirs are right.

Normally mine at home weighed about 5 lbs lighter than the docs office, which I can handle because the doctors office scales are always like that.
  • heggleston921
    heggleston921 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I think I need a new scale. Got on mine yesterday and it spun around and said "to be continued" .....

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Mine says, "one at a time, please!"
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    We recently purchased a digital scale to place our old analog one. The first time I stepped on, I was 5 lbs heavier. Not knowing which was more accurate to my actual weight, I decided to measure the precision (yes, I geek out on numbers). So for a week, I measured myself with both and consistently there was a 5 lb difference even as my weight fluctuated normally. So while I may not know my "true weight", I can still see trends. Am I losing, gaining, or maintaining?

If you have weights at home just put those on the scale to see how accurate it is, that's what I do.
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    typically most people weigh themselves at home with little or no clothes on and in the morning before eating/drinking. At the doc's you have the added weight of your clothes and shoes plus you may have eaten and drank something.
  • debswebby
    debswebby Posts: 326
    Options
    Every scale will weigh you different. I have gained 2kgs just walking from one room at the doctors office to another.
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options

If you have weights at home just put those on the scale to see how accurate it is, that's what I do.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I will try this when I get home. I may not like the results though.
  • blair_bear
    blair_bear Posts: 165
    Options
    When the RN says, "Hop on the scale" I just say, "No thanks, I'm not into that kind of thing, but I'm totally flattered." They usually just look at you like you're nuts and move on. I'll weigh myself at home, where no one can see my tears.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I've always found the doctor's scales to be high.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I always take my weight first thing on Monday mornings wearing light jammies. I always weigh nearly 5 pounds more at the doc's office, due to clothes, I've eaten at least one meal, and it's usually later in the day. I don't pay attention to that weight. It just gives the doc a reference since I am usually dressed about the same when I go for a visit. Try weighing yourself first thing in the morning, then weigh again right before you go to bed or right after dinner. That's why it's important to weigh the same time of day for your records.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I judge my weight loss by the difference between what I originally weighed on the scale at home pushed right up to that line in the tile on the floor. It's ability to weigh me remains constant and consistent. I'm happy I didn't take my beginning weight at the doctor's office because I'd want to go there weekly to weigh in and that's not gonna happen.

Now the odd thing is that I just had my physical and I'm 1 inch shorter than at my last physical. I made the Physicaian's Assistant measure me again because it was wrong. So either I shrunk an INCH in the last 16 months, their measuring thing on the wall is off, or my head and feet got thinner and I'm effectively shorter.

I've been this height for the last 24 years.