awkward poop question

Options
Okay so this morning i woke up with a slight stomachache (probably the heat. Its been 90plus lately) and i went to the bathroom and noticed that i had a streak of blood on the toilet paper after i pooped. I went again and it wasnt as much but still there a half hour or so later. The blood is light pink. Should i be worried? It has happened before and went away after a few days of increasing my fiber intake. It doesnt hurt to go to the bathroom or sit or anything. Please help. Kind of embarrassed :{

Replies

• myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    It's probably nothing, but worth mentioning to your doctor at your next physical (or sooner, if it persists for more than another day or so, or comes back).
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it was from your poop and not just from your butt?
  • angiebarker
    angiebarker Posts: 127
    Options
    Are you sure it was from your poop and not just from your butt?

It honestly may just be from my butt. Its strange because nothing feels wrong just shows up on the paper.
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    It is probably an anal fissure (sorry TMI, but you asked :smile: ) It sometimes happens when you increase your bowel movements or are straining to have a BM. Streaks of blood (as long as it goes away in short order) is OK. If the blood increases or your begin to have drops in the toilet or in your underwear call your Dr. right away. If you are concerned about talk to your Dr.
  • barbaratracy
    Options
    I agree with above, probably nothing to worry about however telling your doctor at your next physical. Also I would increase your fluid intake and you could take an over the counter stool sofener if needed. ( again youd want to consult an MD before adding any new meds) :)
  • buckeyegirl0103
    buckeyegirl0103 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It is probably an anal fissure (sorry TMI, but you asked :smile: ) It sometimes happens when you increase your bowel movements or are straining to have a BM. Streaks of blood (as long as it goes away in short order) is OK. If the blood increases or your begin to have drops in the toilet or in your underwear call your Dr. right away. If you are concerned about talk to your Dr.

^^this^^- if its bright- I heard somewhere that is better-probably just this^^- if its dark-call the dr.
  • angiebarker
    Options

Thanks :) it eases my worry knowing its not like wicked F*d up
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    Anal fissures or internal hemorrhoids come to mind. If you're constipated, it can cause little cuts and for you to bleed a little. If its just a little bit I wouldn't worry. Mention it to the doc when you go. (of course not medical advice, ask your doctor).

If it keeps happening, or there is more blood than that (like dripping or a period), I would definitely book a doc appt asap.
  • Jessamine
    Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    It might also be small abrasions or a small hemorrhoid forming. Those don't always hurt. The doctor will likely tell you to increase water, fruits, and veggies.

I would get it checked out by a doctor, but I wouldn't stress about it.
  • odmadden2
    odmadden2 Posts: 5
    Options
    Sounds like hemmorhoids. You should be concerned if blood from the rectal area is black and looks like coffee grounds. This would be internal bleeding. What you are describing is most definitely hemmorrhoids. You can have inner hemmorrhoids which don't hurt. The exterior hemmorrhoids hang like little grapes.
  • angiebarker
    Options
    Thank you all for the help. Ill increase my water and fiber intake and keep an eye out for any changes :)
  • sundaywishes
    sundaywishes Posts: 246 Member
    Options

Agreed. If there is blood in the toilet, don't freak out because just a few drops will color the water and look like way more than what it is. Upping your fiber a lot very quickly can cause increase in bowel movements or in how, um, abrasive they are and how much you have to strain. If you notice the blood is dark, tar-like and funky smelling, definitely go to a doctor. That means it is internal bleeding, rather than light pink bloo or bright red blood beign ecternal bleeding (such as a fissure). I just did a bunch of research on this for my brother.
  • smittytech
    smittytech Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree with most everyone that it is probably just a fissure...but one other possibility that I found out about recently (TMI)...Eating Beets will cause you to piss and poop red. It can be very shocking, if you aren't aware.
  • SisterC
    SisterC Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I agree with most everyone that it is probably just a fissure...but one other possibility that I found out about recently (TMI)...Eating Beets will cause you to piss and poop red. It can be very shocking, if you aren't aware.

Haha! Just last week I cooked up some beets and my son went wild for them...thank goodness I did remember that this happens & was able to warn him so he wouldn't be shocked.
  • chrissistarr
    Options
    being that It was red and pink tinged I would have to say that it is most likey from a hemorrhoid. try to drink more fiber and taking in more water. this comes from stress and pushing to hard when trying to have a BM.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    It's probably just vegetable fibers...I can see "stuff" I ate the previous day all the time. I have what appears to be red streaks in mine the day after eating guacamole, but it's obviously from the red bell peppers in the guac