diet pills and protein shake

Options
Hi,

Does anyone know if any of the pills available for dieting are actually any good? E.g. Adios, acia berries, etc. And will protein shake actually help...or is it just something else out there for financial gain?

Replies

• ndnerock
    ndnerock Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey
    Ive never took diet pills but i know protein helps. It helps if you dont get your protein intake for the day. I just get my protein from wal mart. Its cheap and it does the same thing as the proteins at the GNC. The only difference is your paying 50 bucks compared to 15.
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    No such thing as miracle pills. You still have to diet.

Protein shakes are *supplements*. Take only if your regular diet doesn't give you enough protein.

A lot of the people who take them regularly are body builders that require 180 ++ grams of protein. Some of them have a hard time consuming that much chicken/beef or find using protein shakes more convenient to hit those numbers.
  • black_sabbath
    Options
    Thanks guys, it's just annoying you see it advertised everywhere and begin to think what if? But the money that you'd waste on just trying it wouldn't be worth it.
  • lotOFbody
    lotOFbody Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been taken the Lean Shake from GNC for about a month now & i love it. I usually dont have time in the mornings to make breakfast & this is great. It gives you more vitamins then most shakes i have had & it also has more bang for your buck. I think its about 14oz & i almost never finish it in one setting. Good price i think when at the first of the month with the gold card as well as it being buy one set of 4 & get the other half off.

22289326.png
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Diet pills are bogus unless you are trying to cut from 5% body fat down to 4% for a body building competition otherwise you can burn more calories by doing anything.

Protein however is fantastic. With protein you get what you pay for, most brands are not regulated or lab tested so they may say you are getting XXg of carbs when you are getting a lot more and XXg protein when you are getting a lot less. Dymatize Nutrition, Optimum Nutrition are both tested in labs to be what they claim to be, because they are used by competitive athletes. ON has some delicious flavors and don't let the price scare you pound for pound this is the cheapest easiest way to get good quick protein.
  • black_sabbath
    Options
    Well knowing that will save me some money. I'm trying to think of supermarkets round my way that have protein shake i'm sure a few do.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I usually dont have time in the mornings to make breakfast & this is great.

I'm sorry but I find it really difficult to believe that preparing a shake takes less time than making a bowl of cereal
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I hate to break the bad news....the pills are mostly worthless gimmicks that are nothing more than caffeine laced pills disguised as "health and diet" supplements. This is BIG BUSINESS!
    They prey upon those desperate to lose weight.
    Notice that no matter the pitch, the one thing most all of these pills have in common is caffeine - lots of caffeine.
    That's reality.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Well knowing that will save me some money. I'm trying to think of supermarkets round my way that have protein shake i'm sure a few do.

Buy online they are usually cheaper and you can pick from every flavor that is offered
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    no to the pills, yes to the shakes(if you can't get your required protein from your diet).
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3rDooaD6ctY1gOrrLGreKVwFQew_n5vXQFDXU_m1jJpR4KKyxsA
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, it's just annoying you see it advertised everywhere and begin to think what if? But the money that you'd waste on just trying it wouldn't be worth it.

protein shakes

both PHD and ON do sample packs for around £1-2 so you can see if they are for you before you commit to spending £15-50 on a big pack (or $ equivelent?)
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    i think it's all hype. A lot of diet pills are really just based on caffeine. Caffeine suppresses your appetite, acts as a laxative, and can pep you up for a decent workout! But save yourself money and just drink a cup o' joe!

Some, like acai berry, may have some value as super rich in nutrients (the raw foodies call these "super foods" and it includes many things, like maca, raw cacoa, goji berries, wheatgrass juice, etc.) but not something that is going to magically peel off the pounds. I personally like some of these foods from my raw foodie days and it makes me chuckle to see the new acai berry fad- like it just got discovered or something.

Protein shakes are great for hitting your macros (carb/fat/protein ratio) especially if you don't eat meat. But I think if you do eat meat, you may be better off eating fish or lean chicken than eating a highly processed powder (I drink lots of shakes because I'm a vegetarian and tofu is only tolerable so much).

The only way to really succeed is to eat healthy and get exercise. You can use some of these supplements/items, but you can also do just fine without them!

Good luck! <3
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Protein shakes are good if you don`t have time to make something yourself.

There used to be some tablets that you could buy over the counter from the chemist/pharmacy `celevac`. They are good for colitis and other gastric problems, they are also useful as a dietary aid as they swell in your tummy and make you feel full. They have no known adverse reactions. You can buy them over the internet. But having said that it is so much easier to just change your diet and try to live and eat a bit healthier long term.
  • jicarter01
    jicarter01 Posts: 53
    Options
    Pills: I have taken OxyElite Pro and Hydroxycut. Of course they arent miracle pills, but both have done what they said they would do which is increase energy and focus along with appetite supression. I am taking Hydroxycut Hardcore Xtreme rt now. I am def more focused and energetic at work (No 2pm tired feeling) and it also makes my body temp increase. I can literally feel the heat inside my clothes about an hour after dose. I also drink tons of water daily and urinate frequently which cuts water weight. Personally I like the stuff. As far as protein, I have taken all kinds. 10 years ago Myoplex was the only way I could gain weight. I went from 160 to ab 200 my Junior/Senior years of High school. Right now I am taking Monster Milk. (The chocolate is the best tasting shake I have ever tried) Drinking 1 - 2 shakes daily is about the only way I can my required protein dose for the day. I have been taking Nitrotech for the past 3 years and I can tell it helps with my workout recovery time and soreness.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I agree. I've made scrambled eggs the night before and put it in the fridge.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    skip the pills, but invest in a good shake. The higher amount of protein will help cur your hunger too.
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I use protien shakes only because I dont eat much protien. Not much meat, cant eat nuts, and eggs are out. I do eat some greek yougurt, and would eat tofu also. But that is why I use it. The only diet pills I have taken are. Xenical-- huhuh dont take those unless your prepared for some disgusting side effects- (ALLY prescription strength) -- and Adipex again script, (basically speed) made me feel like crap insomina- racing heart- irritablity- and so on... Needless to say I have lost 50 pounds with lifestyle changes.