You Won't or Can't

Options
There are people in my life that have tried to bring me down...I just won't let them. Well, one did, but you can't win them all.

My HS counselor told me I wasn't smart enough for college. She's an idiot! Not only did I graduate, I earned my masters degree as well.

My family, specifically my sister, told me I wasn't going to be successful in my profession. She's an idiot! I've coached multiple state championship teams in different sports (football and golf) and I see no chance of that stopping. Soon, I'll be rising up the ladder in administration.

My point is this: Don't let anyone, NOT ANYBODY, tell you you can't do something (within reason and legal). With the right mindset and determination, you can accomplish anything.

Remember: The I WILL is much stronger than the IQ.

Replies

• Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    It was hard for me to accept that family was NOT a good source of support.
    There was collective doom prophesied by all.
    At the end of the day, I am the one retired, married still and with the best kids in an unbroken home.
    They seethe with envy.:laugh:
    Why me and not them?
    Who knows; the best revenge to to live well.
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    There are people in my life that have tried to bring me down...I just won't let them. Well, one did, but you can't win them all.

My HS counselor told me I wasn't smart enough for college. She's an idiot! Not only did I graduate, I earned my masters degree as well.

My family, specifically my sister, told me I wasn't going to be successful in my profession. She's an idiot! I've coached multiple state championship teams in different sports (football and golf) and I see no chance of that stopping. Soon, I'll be rising up the ladder in administration.

My point is this: Don't let anyone, NOT ANYBODY, tell you you can't do something (within reason and legal). With the right mindset and determination, you can accomplish anything.

Awesome post...... :flowerforyou:
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Thanks, good points, I am glad you saw past the bad advice. You must have believed in yourself to keep going.
    I was told that my back would need surgery and that running is out of the question. I perfer hiking but when I get a burst of energy I will jog my trails. And no I haven't had back surgery, the problem is still there, I am just builing a strong core of muscle around it. Most days it works well.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    You're awesome and absolutely correct. Glad u proved them wrong. I wish u the very best in life :)
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    So do you think you'll have to get that taken care of before too long?
  • coachblt
    Options
    I don't think it was a determination for me to prove them wrong. I couldn't have cared less about them. I just had goals, dreams, ambitions, that's all.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I don't think it was a determination for me to prove them wrong. I couldn't have cared less about them. I just had goals, dreams, ambitions, that's all.
    but you do care - we all did. At some point I realized that life was a competition. They were competing against me - not with me. That opened my eyes and saddened me greatly.
    That's when we moved away.
    I relate to your situation. KEEP PUNCHING!
  • still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    "The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."
    -Ayn Rand

and good luck to those who do try to stop me :)
  • FrkFreckle
    FrkFreckle Posts: 11
    Options
    Both my family and friends don't believe I can achieve this... My parents don't care at all and my friends just reply sarcastically "Good luck" :i
    Makes it hard to keep being motivated... I always end up quitting, because I lack support, but I'm glad i found this site :happy:
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

I'm not going to let anybody tell me I can't do it even if it is unreasonable and illegal!

But what boggles me is that a counselor told any kid 'you're not smart enough for college'. What a horrible thing to say to a kid! And how would the counselor really know? Kids are still developing well into their late teens. Turns out a 15 year old has a concept of some math skills a 13 year old can't grasp due to the developing mind, just as an example.

If said counselor is still around, I'd go pay her a visit if I were you and set the idiot straight.
  • jhigg11
    jhigg11 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I was told I can't for most of my childhood, and I didn't really start to let myself believe it until after I graduated high school. I have two children, and I would love to show them that hard work, dedication, and loving yourself with carry you through every storm in life. I know that this time in my life, everything is different. I have determination to achieve this goal for myself, and to make sure I live a full happy life. I want to experience all life has to offer me. I don't seek support from my family. I definitely don't ask their opinion on what I should do. 1 because they are clueless, and 2 because they have never had to overcome these obstacles. My husband is my amazing support system cheering me on and making me feel beautiful when I need that pick me up. But most of all, I am the one driving this, and I have a clear view of the finish line. I don't plan on taking any detours for anyone.
  • coachblt
    Options
    Atta girl. You can do this.

Nobody is telling me I can't anymore. They learned their lessons. This weight loss thing is all me and I never asked anybody what they thought. For once in my life, I'm going to be selfish. By being selfish, it benefit others.

Don't give up...don't ever give up. YOU are the most important person to YOU. If you're not, you should be.

Be strong and courageous!
  • DEEDLYNN
    DEEDLYNN Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    great post!!!! and great timing for me....THANKS!
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    It is ALL mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
  • potatoyam
    potatoyam Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    haha, when my family told me i wasn't " made for university" i pretty much forced myself to come out with a degree after that.
    #1 motivator, tell me i can't do something... just try to tell me i can't.
  • MaretL
    MaretL Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Great post, thanks!
    Same here... there were so many things they told me I cannot do. But I can and I will! The only thing I regret now is that I actually listened to them, believed them instead of listening my own heart. Easy thing for young person to do really. I am on an exciting journey which is all about ME this time and whoever has anything negative to say then they'll better mind their own business!!!
  • Vnhealth
    Vnhealth Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This whole thread is soooooooooooo inspiring ........its beyond any camparison. Everybody's post is like a wall poster with a motivating quote on it. I am going to come back again and again if I need any motivation. Thank you guys.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!