Too Much Protein

Options
It appears that although I (for the most part) stay within my calorie range, I have too much protein. Is it possible to have too much protein? And why would too much protein be a bad thing?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Replies

• Renee253
    Renee253 Posts: 16
    Options
    This is exactly the question I have...I always exceed my protein intake on my food log. I thought protein was good for building muscle and the more, the better? Is it possible that too much protein can be harmful? Really interested in the answers to this...
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    you should be eating around 1g of protein for each lb of lean body mass apparently. I try to eat at least 150g of protein a day. I have my goals set to 40% Carbs 30% Fat and 30% Protein
  • oldmanstauf
    oldmanstauf Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I think I have read that it's possible to have too much protein, but generally most people wouldn't need to worry. I think it's a crazy amount.
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    Usually the only time you have to worry is if you have kidney disease.
  • shanice_22
    shanice_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I've heard lots of different things about protein and how much you should eat, but I've also heard that in order for it to be harmful, you need to be eating a stupidly excessive amount.

There's some info here though, hope this helps towards clarifying it for you: http://www.maxitone.com/articles/protein.html
  • turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I am lifting weights and eat 150-200 grams of protein a day. I also have a bodybuilder friend that eats around 300 a day. M.f.p. has protein set low, unless you've changed it yourself. You would need to eat a TON of protein to do harm.
  • overfences
    overfences Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    The pre-set macros on MFP are not at all what you should be aiming towards. You really want to go into the settings and change all those to reflect healthier goals. I agree that 1g of protein/lb of lean body weight is ideal --it's really unlikely that you're consuming an unhealthy amount of protein.
  • tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    This is like the 100th time this question has been asked. Search for similar posts and you will get answers.
  • Brim__
    Brim__ Posts: 14
    Options
    This is like the 100th time this question has been asked. Search for similar posts and you will get answers.

Thanks for your help, Tina !
  • moxiecowgirl
    moxiecowgirl Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    A significant protein overload can affect your kidney and liver function, but it's got to be an obscene amount of excess protein for the average, healthy person, and you'd know about it well before it went south.