Why am I so hungry?

Options
I have a minor cold at the mo ... it's playing havoc with my eating plan ...I'm continuously hungry and fighting the urge to raid the cupboards.

Does anyone have ideas on how to combat this or why it's happening?

Replies

• caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    when i eat fat and protein, i stay full for 5 or 6 hours.
  • debbiestine
    debbiestine Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    You should be getting 1.1 grams of protein for every pound of lean body mass (weight minus body fat) I weigh 110 and have about 20%fat so 110-22=88lbs of lean body mass x 1.1 =96.8 grams of protein I should be eating. Yours looks very low- increase it.
    Don't worry about fats as long they are healthy fats from olive oil, avacado, almond butter, eggs etc.
  • katieacor
    katieacor Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I suffer from this on a monthly basis! I have heard that drinking loads-loads of cold water, brushing your teeth often, eating pickles and going to bed earlier help.
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Your goal is quite low and you're probably hungry because you're not eating enough... Your body needs more calories, especially when its trying to fight off a cold.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I get really hungry right before a nice drop in scale weight. That is enough motivation to just grab a cup of coffee or some veggies.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    My mom always told us we were hungrier when we had colds because our bodies were working hard to fight the bad guys.

If your body is telling you it needs more fuel right now, then eat. Chicken noodle soup is culinary penicillin.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Your body gets energy nutrients etc from food. If your body wants something, it will ask for it.

I suggest eating lots of 'healthy' foods.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I have a minor cold at the mo ... it's playing havoc with my eating plan ...I'm continuously hungry and fighting the urge to raid the cupboards.

Does anyone have ideas on how to combat this or why it's happening?

raid the cubbords. work it off tomorrow. weight loss is a journey and not supposed to be miserable.
    if you eat the right macros of fat, protein and carbs, you should not be a raider too often. start with more fat and protein in the morning.
    good luck and best wishes
  • shayleeloves
    Options
    eat food.
    drink water.
    a lot of the time our hunger is really thirst...so drink up!
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry it's because you're..... hungry. Eat when the body needs it. Fuel it with good solid foods that fit within your macros.
  • motown_groove
    motown_groove Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks people :O) ... I upped my lean protein and put on the weight i'd lost last week ... arrgh!

I've completely cut caffine, sweets and obvious sugars. I'm still working on reducing the sugar in processed foods. I can't digest animal fats without experiencing pain, so my fat intake is generally pretty low.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I agree with the theory that your body needs more nutrients when you're sick. And I think it's pretty much the same concept as why we women are more hungry a few days a month. When your body is working hard at something, it's going to require more calories!

Get a couple extra snacks in while you're fighting this cold or whatever it is and try to make them healthy for an extra punch of vitamins and nutrients. Drink a bit more water than usual too.

ETA: Not sure the protein is what caused your weight gain... I took a quick peek at your diary and it looks like a lot of your foods are prepared or packaged, which usually means high sodium. I would trade out one of your other nutrients for sodium on your tracker for a week or two so you can keep an eye on it. A few high sodium days can really wreak havoc on the weigh in!
  • motown_groove
    Options
    I took a quick peek at your diary and it looks like a lot of your foods are prepared or packaged, which usually means high sodium. I would trade out one of your other nutrients for sodium on your tracker for a week or two so you can keep an eye on it. A few high sodium days can really wreak havoc on the weigh in!

Thanks for that nugget of info ...i'd no clue about sodium. I do think I need to get my head screwed on re nutrients. I know the basics, but this is obviously not enough. Thanks for replying.
  • motown_groove
    Options
    I've just switched my record sheet to show the sodium levels .. I'm waaaay waaay under target on almost every day... so i'm stumped!
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I hope you're feeling better! Try bulking your meals up with veggies. They won't add much calorie wise, but give you extra volume in your stomach and extra fiber which will keep you fuller longer.