Fitbit

Options
ibcsrl19
ibcsrl19 Posts: 75 Member
Hi, I recently purchased a fitbit. I love how easy it is to use. But I can't help but wonder if it will actually help motivate me. Has anyone had success using a Fitbit?

Replies

• mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I lost 35 lbs with it.
  • ibcsrl19
    Options
    mcarter99, did you do anything special?
  • GemmaRowlands
    GemmaRowlands Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I am seriously considering buying myself one of these things, but haven't quite decided whether I want to yet. It's quite a lot of money to me, and I need to know that it's going to be useful!
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    Very Very addictive...Unless its just me..
  • Faeriegirl74
    Faeriegirl74 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have one and love it. I love that it shows me I haven't hit my targets and encouarges me with its features to get in my miles of just everyday movement as well as food choices to stay within goal. It integrates nicely with mfp
  • ibcsrl19
    Options
    GemmaRowlands, first off congrats on 95! that is inspiring. I have been using it for about a week, it is a pretty cool gadget. and like jonski489 said, it is very addictive. I like looking at the steps i have taken and seeing a graph of how I am doing.
  • ibcsrl19
    Options
    Thanks Faerigirl74!
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I was plateau'd at the time I got the fitbit, pretty frustrating as I had finally gotten under 200 pounds, now I have lost 7 lbs in the last month. Only difference is I am very competitive and I am constantly trying to get 10k and 10 flights in, admittedly I miss when work keeps me too busy or too much going on in the evenings but I am getting ever better at stairs and even with going to the gym 3 times a week my fitness on stairs had not improved hugely. So yep, lots of benefits to the fitbit. I love that it syncs with MFP too.
  • nicoleandlosing
    nicoleandlosing Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I love my FitBit! I wear it everyday and check it at least a thousand times a day to see what I have done. I think it helps me to exercise after work when I see that I have only done 2,000 steps by 4p.m. (Stupid Desk Job!).
  • spoonful
    spoonful Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have (had) a Fitbit. I've had two of them within about five weeks, actually. They really helped me a lot. I loved them. They are very fragile though. You need to protect it from perspiration which is pretty absurd given what the thing is for. The terminals corrode very quickly and it will die after a couple of weeks. I felt like I was beta testing something.

I'm just waiting to see if they'll replace yet another one.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    mcarter99, did you do anything special?

Yes. I made myself hit 10,000 steps a day for six months while logging everything I ate and kept a 500-1000 calorie deficit per day, on average, until I hit my goal weight. I maintained it for about 8 months. Now I'm back losing what I re-gained.

spoonful- Mine is about 2.5 years old and sweat doesn't affect it, though I'm not a heavy sweat-er. I agree they are a bit fragile, though. This is my second one. The first one never did work right but they replaced it. There used to be a ton of replacements needed but I think they got the manufacturing improved some. I bet they will replace your's again if it's acting up. I think they have to replace a fair share, still. I doubt the variable costs on them are high, though, so they should. I've never heard of the terminals corroding but I live in the desert. Do you carry it in a pocket? If so, maybe try carrying it in a tiny zip top plastic bag?
  • red1123
    red1123 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love mine. Just last night I took to dog for a looooong walk to get to my 10,000 steps. I also have a desk job and when I got home after work I saw I was under 5,000. That's definitely exercise I would not have gotten if not for the Fitbit.

I went back and forth for about a month before I got one because to me it seemed like a really overpriced pedometer. I kind of is, but I find the Fitbit website and interface with MFP made it totally worth the purchase price!
  • amyniceneasy
    amyniceneasy Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    love mine! I let MFP set my calorie goal for sendentary but them my fitbit adjusts it to reflect how active I really am...and I eat those calories back. I love it...the more I move the more I get to eat!
  • laurels12
    laurels12 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Love mine!! It keeps me aware of how active (and inactive) I am and I make sure that if I do nothing else in a day (ie. gym), I at least ge my 10k steps in!!

I've lost 8lbs since I got mine a month ago!
  • mskared
    mskared Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    How does everyone feel about how accurate it is on caloric burn? I feel that it is over estimating my caloric burn. Just curious.