Old Habits!

Options
Hello,

I've been using My Fitness Pal for a couple of months now and it was going so well...until I had a food slip. That slip turned into 3 weeks of bad eating and no exercise where I saw myself gain 10 pounds. I was totally demotivated which made me eat more. Any tips for staying on the wagon? Particularly night time eating which I can't stop!!!

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Did you continue logging during those 3 weeks? I find that if I feel myself slipping, continuing to log everything gives me a bit of a reality check and minimises any damage.
  • tonyote40
    tonyote40 Posts: 30
    Options
    I am a night time eater, bad. Keeping track of my calories helps me put my eating into prespective. I try to keep myself busy doing chores around the house or playing with my kids. Once I am in bed, I have to say, that is it. Sometimes I will walk into the kitchen and open all of the cubbards and look through the fridge and have to physically and out loud tell myself to put it down. Drinking alot of water helps sometimes. Good luck to you, it is a nightly fight for me. If you need some encouragement let me know, sometimes I do too.
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    What I do when I feel like snacking late night? I GO TO SLEEP lol.

I have guilt issues so if I ever fall off the wagon, it's about 2 - 3 days tops. I also give away food that I like binging on after one binge session. Getting rid of temptation helps a lot.
  • amielizabeth1
    amielizabeth1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Buy the strongest toothpaste and mouthwash you can find and brush your teeth, then gargle with the mouthwash. NOTHING tastes good after that!
  • TheAnonGit
    TheAnonGit Posts: 123
    Options
    When I feel like eating everything in my house, I do something really nasty that will make me not want to eat. Usually I clean up the cat litter box, or separate recyclables through the garbage. It usually seems to do the trick.
  • doodah85
    doodah85 Posts: 2
    Options
    Wow guys, thanks! All your suggestions are really helpful. I think I need to be extra disciplined with my food tracking and be as honest as possible - I think that is what holds me back sometimes. If I eat a chocolate bar the guilt doesn't seem to go and I don't want to track but honesty will help.
    The toothpaste/mouthwash solution is a good one, although I've brushed my teeth and still found food (not proud of this!)
    Never thought about doing something gross! Will use night time to clean bins perhaps lol!
    I think a big part of the problem is my insomnia so if I get that in order hopefully I'll stop raiding the fridge! I've been good the last couple days but need to keep it consistent! Good luck to you guys and thank you for your suggestions and for inspiring me to be better :)