Replies

• graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Two thumbs UP!
  • Kitzey
    Kitzey Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I agree with not depriving yourself, I find if I deprive myself I want it more and more to the point I'm miserable. Seeing as how this is a lifestyle change, I don't want to live in a miserable state. I'm trying to eat "non processed" foods as much as possible, it's tough with daily life but I'm trying! My success has been based on not depriving myself of foods I know I love, I just have them occasionally and one serving rather than not watching how much of the food I'm eating.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I agree....I found when I deprived myself of something I wanted it only seemed to make back track. If there is something I want I work it into my calorie goal and will even get an extra workout in to so that I can have it. Moderation is the key to success!
  • Chantal34
    Chantal34 Posts: 128
    Options
    <~~~~eating pop chips with my veggie burger right now.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Lol, the foods JM mentioned are processed and all have chemicals.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Specifically?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Ordinarily I would question anything that came out of her mouth since I know for a fact she doesn't know nearly as much as she's made out to and promotes a lot of misinformation. This area however is one where I am inclined to agree. I saw a lot of progress when I continued to eat the same foods I always had, just prepared them myself at home using fresh ingredients rather than going out to fast food places or restaurants for them, or buying them pre-made or boxed.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I agree that you shouldn't deprive yourself - but I'd be eating the Snickers.

this!!
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I agree except I tend to go more 90/10, rather than 80/20.
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    lol product placement

I was thinking the same thing however the logic behind the idea I think is pretty good not the foods she mentioned lol
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I don't often agree with her but I think this is ok advice but for maintenance. When you're losing, I think that 20% can get out of hand, especially if you have to track things carefully and are not at the 'eyeballing' stage.
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I agree that you shouldn't deprive yourself - but I'd be eating the Snickers.

^this.

I've always been told everything is ok in moderation. I can understand where she is coming from though. Many say that dark chocolate has more nutritional value. So, if you are going to cheat on something, make sure if gives you the most bang for your buck. So, you want something that gives you some sort of added value besides sugar or whatever it is you want to eat. However, instead of Snickers, I'd go for the peanut butter cups.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Specifically?

Specifically, all of the following are processed: chocolate (no matter who makes it), pop chips, frozen yogurt, and PB cups. So she's really just pimping the products who've paid her to.
  • twinkle320
    twinkle320 Posts: 23
    Options
    I agree and I do not deprive myself. I eat dark chocolate EVERY day. I take 2 Hershey's miniatures to work and eat one with my morning snack and one with my afternoon snack. They account for 80 calories of my day, I enjoy them, and since I allow myself to have it, I am not tempted to indulge and over eat it at another time. I try to keep 80/85% of my diet "clean" in general and then due to working 2 jobs and having 2 kids, hectic times occassionally call for processed or convenience foods but I limit that. I believe in everything in moderation.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Specifically?
    All the foods she mentioned go through processing. In other words, they don't grow on trees or are harvested from the ground.
    Pop chips (though more "natural") still have a preservative and chemical in them.

Don't believe everything JM says. She touts supplements too.

IDEA Fitness member
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If you look at NI and ingredients, regular ice cream is not that much different than frozen yogurt.

I agree about Green & Black's, though. Best chocolate I ever had in my life. The only dark chocolate I can stand, too.

EDIT: I tried G&B on my own before it started popping up in magazines and stuff. I tried it on a whim, not because of an ad or endorsement.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Specifically?
    All the foods she mentioned go through processing. In other words, they don't grow on trees or are harvested from the ground.
    Pop chips (though more "natural") still have a preservative and chemical in them.

Don't believe everything JM says. She touts supplements too.

IDEA Fitness member

She didn't say anything about not being processed. As you said, if it isn't picked straight from the plant, it's processed. She says chemicals and preservatives. I was wondering specifically what chemicals and preservatives are in these foods that I should be avoiding (serious question)?
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I don't care for Jillian but I think this is good advice.

However,I think she is just promoting products. I think junk food is junk food and it doesn't matter if you're eating a Reese cup or a Newman's organic peanut butter cup. If you like the taste and enjoy paying more, go for it. Otherwise, just eat healthy foods and junk food in moderation.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    the way i see it,she is right BUT that's only if you have alot of weight to lose and you have a long road to travel so to speak! If you only have a little weight to lose then no get it over and done! :wink:
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I love JM so I fully agree...

This!

You can like a person, but that doesn't mean you HAVE to agree with everything she says... just because SHE says it. The real advantage to being human is the ability to exercise a higher level of cognitive functioning, and this includes such higher order tasks as questioning and analysing - not just accepting on face value the things that are spoon fed to us...

I think generally what she is saying is sound, but don't just accept it because JM is saying it, she's almost as prone to cashing in on products as Oz.