Runners

Options
13»

Replies

• Rebroland
    Rebroland Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've just started running myself. I noticed that I have engaged different muscles when running free and outdoors versus running on an elliptical. You need to just take your time. Once I started running outdoors, I've given up running on the elliptical or treadmill pretty much altogether. I ran my first mountain trail race this past weekend and I'm in the Peachtree Road Race on July 4th.

I 100% agree with this - I had a hard time adjusting from running on the treadmill to running outside but now that's all I do and i love it so much more! I'm even running without musice (something I never though I'd do - but it actually helps me focus more on my breathing and i LOVE it). I had to run on a treadmill the past two nights because it was over 100 degrees. I was miserable and SO bored. It ended up really hurting my run.
  • BAP4HipHotic
    Options
    It's called specified training. In order to run proficient, you have to run and become conditioned through progression. It has nothing to do with the elliptical, yoga, biking, bootcamp, or swimming. You can't expect to be a better runner if you are not honing in on RUNNING.

Everyone is different when it comes to running and it depends on if you have previous or prior training or conditioning for long distance or fast sprinting. Breathing is important to keep a stride and rhythm. Also, your body composition plays a part on your performance as well. Set small goals at first to run for a duration of time while recording your distance. Once you have reached those goals, incorporate a small distance in a certain time frame, and so on and so on. My question to you is, why can't your trainer easily answer these questions for you? confused0006.gif This is also basic knowledge for a professional.

FYI, 5k is equivalent to 3 miles..... a good time for a beginner is a 10-12 minute run. Good Luck to you, sweetie!!
  • indefinite00
    indefinite00 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
  • olivia_sweeetie13
    Options
    I have heavy asthma, and I ran a 5k indoors and was perfectly fine. Maybe try that?
  • caitles14
    caitles14 Posts: 89
    Options
    I'm currently up to 10 or 11 miles without stopping on my long runs at about a 10-11 min mile, but I am definitely not a born 'runner.' So I have faith you can do it! I found that slowing down helped me to be able to run for longer. For me personally, I'd rather have the endurance to go long-distance rather than being able to do short, quick bursts of speed. Good luck!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Another quick question, if I slow my pace and run further, is that as effective(burning calories) as running quicker with less distance?

Yes! Calorie burn tends to even out to be close to the same burn per distance, regardless of pace. For example, if you burn 100 calories running a mile in 8 minutes, you will probably burn close to 100 calories running a mile in 12 minutes. The difference is that in scenario A you only ran for 8 minutes whereas in scenario B you ran for 12. Now this is not "exactly" accurate, but I hope you get the gist. Do not worry about your pace yet. It will come in time. And the best way to increase your endurance is to alternate intervals of walking and running. I am not entirely familiar with the Couch 2 5K program, but I believe it relies on this concept and I have seen that it has worked to get many many people into running. Good luck!
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    In the past when I started from scratch it took about 3 weeks to be able to run 3 miles. Once I got to where I could run 3 miles further distances came very quickly.

Agree with this!
  • gone54321
    gone54321 Posts: 19
    Options
    Good morning!

For me when I started running almost 3 years ago I did all of my initial running on a high school track. It is flat and you know exactly how far you have gone, four laps should be a mile, you can also easily gauge your process.

The c25k program has been a huge help for so many people you'll be in good hands if you follow it, just think about trying the track as a place to do your workouts. Then once you can do a couple miles without stopping then you can hit the streets or trails with hills and changes in elevation and you'll have the confidence to power through!!!

Good Luck and keep up the good work!!
  • shanaevans84
    Options
    It takes time and you have to give your body time to respond. I reccommend a couch to 5k app on your phone. I have one on my iPhone and loved it. Just make sure you don't do too much too fast. I did and ended up with a stress fracture. Make sure to cross train and just worry about distance rather than speed on most days and try speed work one day of the week. I read that you should only increase your distance by 10% each week. Stretch and becareful and listen to your body. Also, don't make the same mistake I did.....be informed and educated. runnersworld.com has great articles and if you have an iphone you can check out some podcasts. GOOD LUCK and happy running!!!!