Paleo & CrossFit Friends

Options
Hey everyone,

I have been on MFP for about a month and a half or so, but I have been on my weight loss journey for about 5 months now. (minus a few hiccups along the way)

I am a big time CrossFit enthusiast and love to eat Paleo. I am looking for "friends" who are either currently doing the same, or even people who are interested in learning more about either of the two. I am more than happy to share my knowledge and am always eager to learn from others! I will ask though that you PM me as to why you want to be friends instead of just send me a friend request... at least introduce yourself! ;)

Replies

• holisticmama
    Options
    Thats awesome! I am going paleo (again) too.. how do you use MFP in the paleo context? What do you set as your goals for fat/carbs/protein and do you worry about your calorie count?
  • JoseP204
    JoseP204 Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi there,

I have been transitioning my nutrition into a Paleo diet for the last 3 weeks. Next week or so, I should be cutting my grains. I thought it was going to be difficult to cut out dairy, fruits but the transition has made it easier and I think that I can go Paleo 100% soon.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I want to be as balanced as possible, so I set my goals to
    Carb 30
    Fat 35
    Protein 35
    obviously, I don't buy into the whole "You gotta have 80% carbs" crap that a lot of people unfortunately do ;)

Honestly I don't really worry too much about any of it. I eat to my hearts content and I still don't go over my 2000 a day! So I use it more for 2 things. First, with the 35% protein I can make sure I eat my body weight in protein every day and two, I like to keep track of my weight and body fat on it. I think that the act of actually counting calories is kinda lame (sorry, its just my opinion) because eating Paleo I am only eating whole/clean foods. So even if I eat 3000 (which would be pretty difficult) I know its all from good meats, good fats, fruits and vegetables. I also like to use MFP when I go out and "splurge" because it is entertaining to see the "(lack of) nutrition facts" in the foods I used to eat on a daily basis...
  • PhilyPhresh
    Options
    That's awesome Jose! So will you be doing Paleo with zero fruit whatsoever? I eat very little fruit, and I know some people on it who eat none, but others who eat probably a bit too much. It can be rough, but once you learn how to make recipes you enjoy it really isn't that bad! Typically when you cut grains you will probably feel a little sick for a day or two... its kinda weird, but don't worry! The feeling will pass and you wont really care about them after a little while.
  • CWSpiegel
    CWSpiegel Posts: 114
    Options
    Add me if you want. I'm a 6 day/week CF'er. I don't eat Paleo by any means though, but I eat very clean.
  • anthonysig
    anthonysig Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Been doing crossfit since August 2010. Overall been pretty good with a modern day paleo. Went really scrict last summer and fat came off pretty quick. I'm on day 12 of going really strict again.
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    what is Paleo?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I've been using MFP and going fairly strictly paleo (~95/5) for about six months and it works great. I have my macros currently set at 25/25/50 p/c/f, but honestly, I don't pay close attention to those. I rationalize that if I need more fat/protein/carbs, I'll crave more fat/protein/carbs. I've never had much of a problem with weight gain, so I suppose it's working just fine. (I did intentionally go from a softish 180ish pounds to a less-softish 150ish from 7/2011 to 12/2011. Been slowly building from there and am back up to an even less-softish 163ish while eating ~2800-3k daily cal.)

As for fruit, I'll eat as much as I want of a fruit as long as it is in season and reasonably local. Fruits out of season or geographically far away, I eat sparingly.

I was interested in CF at first, but too many horror stories of bad instruction have me waiting this out. Couple that with the cost and I'm taking a pass for a while. Maybe if I was in my 20s, I'd give it a try, but I'm in my 40s, which means far less room for error when doing potentially "stupid stuff"...and I think high-rep oly lifts and kipping chin-ups potentially fall into that category. I know, there are good trainers out there, but they tend to deviate from the CF corporate template. (Hmm, I wonder why that is?)
  • kturner2012
    Options
    Yea! I'm glad to see some other CrossFitters on here! I'm new to the sport and have not gotten up the courage to go Paleo yet. Any advice you guys can give me would be very helpful! Let's keep this group together so that we can encourage each other along the way!
  • PhilyPhresh
    Options
    what is Paleo?

Quick answer (If you want more in depth you can PM me or google it)

Paleo is eating like our ancestors throughout the Paleolithic era. Basically they didn't have bread, eat legumes, drink dairy, go to McDonalds... etc ;) When eating Paleo you focus on getting you protein from meats and eggs, your carbs from fruits and vegetables, and your fats from thinks like nuts, olives or avocados (sadly not from bacon...). There is a lot of do's and don'ts that go into it, but thats about the just of it, and like I said, if you want to know more or know "why..." ask and I'll let you know. If I know of course...
  • PhilyPhresh
    Options
    Been doing crossfit since August 2010. Overall been pretty good with a modern day paleo. Went really scrict last summer and fat came off pretty quick. I'm on day 12 of going really strict again.

Glad to hear you're back on the bus! When you say you are going really strict, are you going "Whole 9"? Or just strict Paleo (no cheating)?
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I do Paleo but not to the max , I'll still have Greek yogurt and cottage cheese from time to time ( both awesome sources of protein ) Feel free to add me
  • PhilyPhresh
    Options
    Yea! I'm glad to see some other CrossFitters on here! I'm new to the sport and have not gotten up the courage to go Paleo yet. Any advice you guys can give me would be very helpful! Let's keep this group together so that we can encourage each other along the way!

If you are interested in going Paleo (and I understand it's not for everyone) I would recommend start getting off a few things now instead of jumping into it all at once. start easing off your reliance on breads or milk, next week pick another, next week cut out sugars... actually do that one right away! I think for me the hardest thing to give up was sodas. I probably drank about 2 liters of soda a day for several years straight! But I have been away from them for a few months not and I don't much care for the sound of one anymore. How long have you been doing CrossFit?
  • dunc289
    dunc289 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi Dude,

3 on 1 off CF'er here. Not Paleo, but close to it.

Would love to eat what I kill, but here in LA that would restrict me to a lot of moths and June bugs.

Hardly noticed stopping bread, but I do like a beer now and then.

Oh yeah, doing Tough Mudder in a couple of weeks. Apparently cross fit is next to useless for that. Brilliant!

By the way, when you talk about cutting sugars, do you mean actual "sugar", or the kind of sugar in milk and suchlike?
  • JoseP204
    JoseP204 Posts: 16
    Options
    I already cut fruits and dairy. I know what you mean about feeling sick, I have been feeling that! But i figured it was just my body adjusting to not getting some of those foods.
  • kturner2012
    Options
    start easing off your reliance on breads or milk, next week pick another, next week cut out sugars... actually do that one right away! I think for me the hardest thing to give up was sodas. I probably drank about 2 liters of soda a day for several years straight! But I have been away from them for a few months not and I don't much care for the sound of one anymore. How long have you been doing CrossFit?
    [/quote]

I've been doing CrossFit for about 2 months now. I don't know how other facilities run, but we have a 8 session fundamentals program (4 weeks at 2 classes per week), so one full month was fundamentals. I'm starting my 3rd week of the "real" class. Although it is absolutely the most intense workout I've ever done, it is the best thing I've done in a long time.

About Paleo: I've actually already cut out soda and most breads. I have a really hard time finding enough protein without eating meat exclusively because I'm allergic to treenuts. That really hurts me when I am looking for a quick snack that isn't meat. Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of meat. I used to live on bread, vegetables and dairy, so I've changed my diet a lot. Any suggestions on quick snacks that don't include tree nuts??? Or other sources of protein?
  • PhilyPhresh
    Options
    I've been doing CrossFit for about 2 months now. I don't know how other facilities run, but we have a 8 session fundamentals program (4 weeks at 2 classes per week), so one full month was fundamentals. I'm starting my 3rd week of the "real" class. Although it is absolutely the most intense workout I've ever done, it is the best thing I've done in a long time.

About Paleo: I've actually already cut out soda and most breads. I have a really hard time finding enough protein without eating meat exclusively because I'm allergic to treenuts. That really hurts me when I am looking for a quick snack that isn't meat. Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of meat. I used to live on bread, vegetables and dairy, so I've changed my diet a lot. Any suggestions on quick snacks that don't include tree nuts??? Or other sources of protein?

Do you like hard-boild eggs? I typically go for Jerky, nuts (almonds or macadamia nuts) and fruit (apple, mango, strawberries) but once in a while I will make a batch of hard-boiled eggs and I really enjoy them for snacks.
  • kturner2012
    Options
    Hmm... I hadn't thought about hard boiled eggs. I'll give that a try. Thank you!
  • PhilyPhresh
    Options
    By the way, when you talk about cutting sugars, do you mean actual "sugar", or the kind of sugar in milk and suchlike?

I mean added sugars. Fruit and vegetables with sugar in them are fine (still in moderation) but things like ice cream, candy, soda (those are obvious ones, but you get what I mean) stuff like that.
  • blinkinglight
    Options

I was interested in CF at first, but too many horror stories of bad instruction have me waiting this out. Couple that with the cost and I'm taking a pass for a while. Maybe if I was in my 20s, I'd give it a try, but I'm in my 40s, which means far less room for error when doing potentially "stupid stuff"...and I think high-rep oly lifts and kipping chin-ups potentially fall into that category. I know, there are good trainers out there, but they tend to deviate from the CF corporate template. (Hmm, I wonder why that is?)

I understand what you're saying, but just like anything you have to use discretion. No, not all CF boxes are created equally. There are a lot of trainers who don't know what they're doing, unfortunately. I agree that CF headquarters doesn't do the best job of quality control. You can open a box by forking over the money, and that's all. However, I just can't imagine how boring it would be (for me) to workout with a trainer one-on-one. I love the community/competitive aspects of CF. Thankfully our trainers have been doing this a long time and we train with a purpose and intentionally, not just copying the WODs off the mainsite.