Exercise with a hernia

Options
What kind of exercises can I do without aggravating my hernia? It's in the upper middle part of my belly. It's pretty big. It pokes out. I know I can do cardio, but is there any strength training I can do also?

Replies

• kfitzpa
    kfitzpa Posts: 326
    Options
    Seems too dangerous for me. You'd be walking on eggshells. D:
  • melissarosati77
    Options
    That's what I was thinking.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    What kind of exercises can I do without aggravating my hernia? It's in the upper middle part of my belly. It's pretty big. It pokes out. I know I can do cardio, but is there any strength training I can do also?

You can sprint to the surgical consultant and get an appointment to get it fixed.

I would ultimately suggest this over anything else. You're risking making that hernia larger.
  • melissarosati77
    Options
    I am....as soon as my health insurance kicks in. :)
  • kfitzpa
    kfitzpa Posts: 326
    Options

You can sprint to the surgical consultant and get an appointment to get it fixed.

I would ultimately suggest this over anything else. You're risking making that hernia larger.

This exactly. Yiiiiiikes
  • skinnynerd
    skinnynerd Posts: 110
    Options
    When first starting out, you can do general aerobic exercises for no longer than 30 minutes. You should not lift, pull or push. If it hurts stop and try again the next day. It may take a few days to build up to 30 minutes. After you build up to 30 minutes, you can add additional minutes. I am up to 1 hour of walking everyday. This is the advice my doctor gave me. I have a hernia located at the bottom of my esophagus.
  • melissarosati77
    Options
    Thanks! I'll do that!
  • cjw6
    cjw6 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    What kind of hernia is it? Is it around your belly button, or is it over a surgical scar?

Hernias are often not as big a deal as people imagine- if it is over a surgical scar site then lifting etc might make it bigger during the exertion (as the intra-abdominal pressure goes up) but it should go down right after with no harm done. That kind pretty much never strangulate and are unsightly rather than particularly dangerous. If its another kind of hernia with a narrower 'neck' then it might be slightly more risky.