How can I tell if swimming is doing me good?

Options
Hi everyone!

I am in the process of a lifestyle change. Though I enjoy walking, it has been so hot lately here in South Ga, that I've decided to start swimming. I have attempted to find a routine online, and haven't been very successful. I 've just been doing laps, kicking my legs while holding on to the wall, jumping up and down. I do this for about 30 minutes. I do get out of breath and thirsty. How do I know that I am doing it right? I am 5'7, 301 lbs.

Thanks!!

Replies

• sunshinedean
    sunshinedean Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    At the moment swimming is the only exersize that I can do..... I tread water, various exersizes ~ as long as you get your heart rate up you'll do fine!! I can see it the way my clothes fit & my energy levels have increased. I have lost 22 lbs so far with eating right & water exersizes!! good luck to you! :happy:
  • icerafta
    icerafta Posts: 38
    Options
    I have taken to pool excersize as well. I have severe osteoarthritis in both knees and weigh twice what I should.
    My water aerobics classes 5 days a week are great. Sometimes as well as swimming and calisthenics I like to water walk as a warm up before my more rigorous activities. I am very exasporated this morning, because I have spent a full hour searching the web for a calorie calculator. There are several "fitness" sites out there that advertise one on their site. I go to the site and find no calorie calculator, unless I want to pay to join their site. I just want to know how to calculate calories burned while water walking. I know the figures include your weight and a certain "variable but applying algebraic rules to it, I am missing something. If anyone out there can give me a mathematical formula for calories burned during water walking (not swimming or running), I would be forever grateful. (-:
  • lenema
    lenema Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    icerafta, mfp has a listing in the exercise database for water aerobics and water calisthenics. You might plug your time into that and see what it comes up with. Wish I had a pool nearby. Thats my favorite form of exercise.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I am in the process of a lifestyle change. Though I enjoy walking, it has been so hot lately here in South Ga, that I've decided to start swimming. I have attempted to find a routine online, and haven't been very successful. I 've just been doing laps, kicking my legs while holding on to the wall, jumping up and down. I do this for about 30 minutes. I do get out of breath and thirsty. How do I know that I am doing it right? I am 5'7, 301 lbs.

Thanks!!
    Do you feel better? Do you enjoy it? Can you see yourself doing it as a lifestyle? If yes to all questions, it's doing you good.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Mandyc1981
    Options
    Where do you live? I feel you on the hot. I am in Albany, Ga. The pool is the only thing that cools me down.
  • tammyclair
    tammyclair Posts: 38
    Options
    www.swimplan.com also try http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=528

i know it sounds hard the whole triathlete thing. but this workout isn't too bad. and I am heavy and old and have never been an athlete.