does sugar trigger binges?

Options
If I weaken and eat cake or rubbish at work at my morning break I find that I am much more likely to then go in a downward spiral for the rest of the day. It is possible that it is just pyschological and me thinking that I've blown it and sub-consciously writing off the day. However, I do wonder if maybe it is actually the sugar that triggers the continued bad eating as it is well-known that sugar is addictive. Does anyone have any evidence for this?

Replies

• jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I don't think sugar is addictive, rather we are biologically inclined to be attracted to it, science its energy in a nugget. Also why fat taste good.

I would say none you have some cake, you know its tastes delicious and you just plain out want more deliciousness.
  • missy5277
    missy5277 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    ha..i believe so, for example someone brought in some cheesecake so i ate a little piece (log it) about an hour later i grabbed a reese cup then 10 minutes later i grabbed 2 lifesaver mints....mind you i havent eaten sweets in about a week for this reason!
  • eodvarka
    eodvarka Posts: 30
    Options
    Oh yeah, for sure. I know for a fact that we are addicted to sugar--- there more we have of it, the more we want it. Don't you find yourself hungrier for more after a piece of cake? That's why. It's important to cut out that extra sugar in your diet. I have been doing that for a little over 2 years, and I've really seen a difference. I don't crave it as much, though I allow myself some once in a while, and when I DO overload on the sugar, my head starts spinning and I don't want more.
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I finally figured out that not only does it throw me off track, but I get a carb crash. After I eat sugar in the A.M., like a donut, then I feel so tired about an hour later. So, what do you do when you're tired- you snack. My whole day is ruined if I eat sugar in the morning.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. Don't use one slip up to excuse another. Also, I always have too much sugar in my diet (thankfully mostly due fruits and carrots) and I have never had a binge eating problem.
  • shunyata13
    shunyata13 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Sugar will trigger food issues in that it affects our brain where we want more. It will also trigger issues where we want to eat salty foods after sweet foods which will then go back and forth between the two. If you are under stress mentally or physically eating sugars gives instant relief to the brain as to how the brain reacts to the chemicals in sugar. Even people with fibromyalgia get muscular relief from chocolate when they eat it. If you want to know more just do a general search on the internet as to how sugar affects the brain. It unfortunantly increases cancer growth so its not the best option to turn to.
  • Erika1962
    Erika1962 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I know it does for me, that is why I have been avoiding it like the plague in almost 7 month, since then I have not experienced any food cravings or went into any eating binges at all :smile:
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    personally it does for me. However its the "bad sugar, ie not from fruit" that does it. If i have a bit of something junky sweet then it seems like I want nothing else but sweet and its hard to get out of that mode.