Moms that work full time

Options
Hi, I was wondering how moms that work full time get in exercise when you have zero time for yourself? I'm a mother of 4 and work full time and as soon as I get home I'm cooking, cleaning and giving kids baths. After all the kids are taken care of I'm so tired I just want to go to bed. Joining a gym is impossible for me. I've started the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and its working great but I would still like to add more exercise in if possible. Feel free to add me if your a full time working mom too. Maybe we can help eachother out! :)

Replies

• qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Crockpot meals and having a husband that watches the kids while I work out are what helped me. I do bodyrock workout, which are 12 min... very intense 12 min. I also do weight lifting. I only have 2 kids though, so I can't imagine how hard it is with 4.
  • kkeys
    kkeys Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Same here - husband watches the kids. Also, my house is messy! Meals are quick or made ahead on workout days. And when my husband can't watch them, I let them watch (gasp!) TV or a movie while I work out. I clean and cook on the weekends when I have more time. Or on weekdays that I don't work out.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I have to do most of my workouts in the very early morning. I'm usually up by 4:30 to get a run in before starting the rest of my day. I do take spin classes, but those are only scheduled on evenings that my husband is available to stay with our daughter.

I'm lucky to have a wonderful support system (husband, parents, in-laws) that help me a lot! But I have had to let some things slide....I don't cook as much as I used to (not elaborate meals, anyway), my house is a little messier, and I don't get much sleep.

I figure a messy house and less sleep is a decent trade-off for a healthy, happy mom and wife!

Good luck & feel free to add me :)
  • NakAttack
    NakAttack Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I only have one child, a VERY supportive husband and a flexible schedule, so my schedule is a little easier. But, in most cases, I rise 45 minutes earlier than my family to go for a 30 minute run in the mornings. When I am working from home, I run during my lunch break and I am also known to go for a late night run after I have put my daughter down at 8pm in the evening! DH hates it because the sun is/has set, but he knows that exercising is good for me both physically and mentally!
  • ebonyroche
    ebonyroche Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    We have a 9mo old, so the only time I have to workout is in the morning before work and everyone is still in their slumber.
  • Texmom_2003
    Options
    I am like you with 2 kids 4 and 8. I go directly to Gym from my work and do a 45min to 1hr work out, if I miss it I miss it as another job equivalent to full time is ahead. That's the only time I get but my work hrs are little flexible and thanks to my husband his co-operation and help is always there. These days I started doing Jillian michaels 30S in the Mornings, its a pretty good and tough workout, works for me and also its a good change from routine gym workout. I am seeing results in inches though not a drastic fall in weight. Keep doing what you can and don't get discouraged. something is always better than nothing.
  • darbylicious
    Options
    When my husband is home he can watch the kids so I can do a quick 30 minute walk in the neighborhood. Jillian Michaels is great if I'm stuck at home with no babysitter. Also, the YMCA gives a free 90 minutes of childcare - so I can always bring the kids with and get some ME time.

I find that since I've started working out, we eat dinner a bit later and I don't always have time to get everything else done at home if I go to the gym. However, as I'm losign weight, I also have way more energy and endurance to get stuff done at home, so with less time, my house is looking better!
  • msgunder
    msgunder Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I work out ever day during my lunch hour and then eat my lunch at my desk. I just started this in May. Years ago I would go to a gym in the evening after I got home and my husband pretty much raised the kids M-F evenings. I lost a lot of weight but once they got into school and travel time to the gym and not being able to see my family I stopped going. Gained almost 60lbs. I love going on my lunch hour now and it doesn't interrupt my family time. Plus people at work know I go during lunch so it keeps me going :)
  • emom3boys
    emom3boys Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I teach full time and have 3 kids (8,6, and 2). My house is messy all week until the weekend when I get a chance to clean it up. I have been known to exercise after dinner by taking the puppy for a walk, then I get on the bike when we watch TV at night (after the boys are in bed). I try to get up a 1/2 hour early to do an exercise video before I have to get ready for work, and if that doesn't happen then I do the exercise video in my classroom during lunch. It works.
  • prov31jd
    prov31jd Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have a full time job and 5 kids. I take breaks at work ,or use part of my lunch, and go outside and walk or run -- 15 mins, 20 mins, or whatever I can do. And I live in TX -- it's in the upper 90's here already. By the end of the day, I've usually put in at least 30 minutes of cardio. Every other day I do 30 minutes of circuit training, and my kids often do it with me (my 4 year old has her own little 1 lb. weights she uses. It's adorable!). In the evenings we all go on walks together -- actually, I'm usually running, and they ride their bikes.

Having a husband that helps out with the kids is a plus -- I'm thankful for mine!

As for housework: get your kids to help you, if they're old enough! Even my 4 year old can fold washcloths, dust window sills, pick up her own toys, feed the dogs, etc.

I admit, sometimes I also let my kids just watch a movie or something while I'm working out.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Not sure how old your kids are. But I work full time, plus have a second side job that I do to keep my skills up since I work outside of my degree field. I mainly get up early, or workout on my lunch hour. I also workout after I put them in bed. I need 30 minutes of my own to unwind anyway, so might as well do that on an exercise bike. Now that mine are older, it's clearly easier, I can run before they get up and not worry about be back in time for DH to leave for work before i get back, they can be alone in their beds for a bit. My kids will also come with me, if I'm doing track work, they come along and walk/run the track too. Or we bike to school too.
  • TaxGirlxo
    TaxGirlxo Posts: 27
    Options
    I just worked a full time (55 hr/wk++) internship for 5 months and have a little boy who is 3. At the end of it, I actually declined an amazing job offer because I had little time for my boy and gained some serious pounds, to top it off. The dream job wasn't worth it to me at the expense of my son and my health. It turned out that my firm was understanding of the situation, and we ended up talking out a "flex" schedule. If it's so tough that you can't take care of yourself, maybe your office would consider something similar?
  • barbara4599
    barbara4599 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom working full time! This is one of the reasons (excuses) I have used for letting myself get so unhealthy. I bought a treadmill out of my tax refund and put it in the garage. Saturday and Sunday I do 60 minutes early in the morning. Most Wednesdays I work from home so I do 60 minutes that morning too. I'm trying to get 30 minutes in 3 more days, sometimes I do sometime I don't. I am trying to put together some easy strength training I can do several evenings a week - either during TV time or bath time. I know that finding the time to exercise is setting a good example for my kids. Good luck!
  • ssuksdorf
    ssuksdorf Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I work 3/4 time right now, so it's easi*er* (not necessarily easy) to get my running/walking in. But when I was still working full-time I walked on my lunch breaks and snacked on my lunch throughout the day.