spoke to nutritionist

Options
So I visited a nutritionist....
Ive been trying to eat 1200 cals(most days, then i would have 2000+ days) and I have been working out at least 5 days a week(30 min running minimum). I have net been able to lose any weight... i thought i just plateaued

She told me that :
1.) I've not been eating enough cals
2.) the reason I sometimes had candy/food binges aka large meals was because my body was starving and not getting what it needs.
3.) As someone that works out, when she did calculations, it said that I should be consuming 2200 to maintain!

Dilemma.....
There is no way I am going to consume 2200. She told me to start off slow and increase to raise my metabolism (I asked her to measure it and she said NO. She told me if she was to measure it and show me now I would get discouraged). So, Ive been eating around 1700 cals. I have been doing this for a week and I have gained 2lbs. It's become more stable now.
She also told me not to buy fat free, reduced fat or anything like that.....

Its so hard to get over that mentality though. I had a bagel, cream cheese and an apple this morning.... It just made me feel so weird. I felt like I was eating too much for one meal. I also kept thinking, well if I got ff cream cheese I could have saved 50cals... but im trying to deal!

I hope upping my calories works!!!! What do you guys think?

Replies

• chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    do you add calories when you exercise, if not then that's probably why she put you so high.

I have a hard time getting away from the low fat mentality myself!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    2200 sounds high to me, but I agree that 1200 a day might have been low. Hmm,,,

Read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • katie517
    katie517 Posts: 159
    Options
    I just checked your BMI (got your height from your profile – sorry if that is stalkerish). You are already in the healthy range. Therefore, you should probably be losing pretty slowly. And since you are obviously active, it does seem like you are not consuming enough calories. I wouldn’t freak about the 2lb gain. Your body will adjust.

Side note: Your ticker says your goal is 120. That is in the “Underweight” range on the BMI. I know better than most that the BMI is just an estimator. However, I would base your goal off of how you feel. Don’t push yourself into unhealthiness.

Best of luck!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 1200 a day plan and it's wokred fine. You need to at least eat 1/2 of your burned calories or you'll go into starvation mode.
    I'm 'under weight' on a BMI scale. I weight 90 pounds...I'm 5 feet and very small framed...I'm healthy.
  • mrsbice
    Options
    I have a hard time getting away from the low fat mentality myself!

a problem i do not have. lol. i figure if i am going to have something fatty, i may as well have the real thing. i feel cheated if i don't. i just adjust elsewhere.

i think that 1200 sounds okay, that is what i take in...but i don't think that i am as active as you either. :happy:

i would listen to the doc and see how it goes.
  • mystasia
    mystasia Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    So I visited a nutritionist....
    Ive been trying to eat 1200 cals(most days, then i would have 2000+ days) and I have been working out at least 5 days a week(30 min running minimum). I have net been able to lose any weight... i thought i just plateaued

She told me that :
    1.) I've not been eating enough cals
    2.) the reason I sometimes had candy/food binges aka large meals was because my body was starving and not getting what it needs.
    3.) As someone that works out, when she did calculations, it said that I should be consuming 2200 to maintain!

Dilemma.....
    There is no way I am going to consume 2200. She told me to start off slow and increase to raise my metabolism (I asked her to measure it and she said NO. She told me if she was to measure it and show me now I would get discouraged). So, Ive been eating around 1700 cals. I have been doing this for a week and I have gained 2lbs. It's become more stable now.
    She also told me not to buy fat free, reduced fat or anything like that.....

Its so hard to get over that mentality though. I had a bagel, cream cheese and an apple this morning.... It just made me feel so weird. I felt like I was eating too much for one meal. I also kept thinking, well if I got ff cream cheese I could have saved 50cals... but im trying to deal!

I hope upping my calories works!!!! What do you guys think?

I think its so depressing. I had the same thing happen 2 weeks ago when I met with my dietician. I had been eating around 1000-1200 calories a day and working out almost everyday, I thought for sure I would have lost weight but I didnt... I did have her test my metabolism and I was greatly depressed as it dropped to 1250. I've tried upping my calories in the last week and even exercising less because I was sick this past weekend. I go in this coming Sunday to see if I've lost anything, though I dread gaining becaues I did eat more. Its a very hard concept, eating more to lose. Good luck to you and keep us posted on how things work out for you.
  • TracyJean2012
    TracyJean2012 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'm confused please help me why did the Dr tell you not to buy "low fat" items?
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I'm confused please help me why did the Dr tell you not to buy "low fat" items?

Here is a book a friend of mine (also a licenced nutritionist) suggested i read - Eat Fat Lose Fat by Dr Mary Enig it discussed the need to have some fat in the diet. I have lost weight abotu 20 pounds total using this diet. Including the coconut oil in the shakes - I also work out 4-5 times a week
    http://www.eatfatlosefat.com/
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Fat free or low fat items tend to have a lot of "other" stuff in them that can be detrimental to good health. I.E. artificial sweeteners, more sugars, more filler, chemicals...etc. Better to use portion control than add all the artificial stuff in there.

Depending on you're height, and bone structure, sure 2200 is reasonable. Your nutritionist sounds like he/she is giving you solid advice. Don't worry about the weight gain, that happens when you up your calories, until your metabolism catches up to your eating, this will be the case, most of it will drop back off in a few weeks though. Remember, because you had a depressed metabolism, you needed less calories to maintain. It takes many weeks and sometimes months for your metabolism to ramp back up, during that period you can gain. That doesn't mean you should eat less, on the contrary, you should stick to the plan, that weight will come off easilly once your body settles into the new weight.

This is a very common issue I see on here. People always seem to underestimate their metabolic rate because they have had a depressed metabolism so long, they just don't think they can eat a "normal" amount of food (between 1800 and 2500 calories) and still maintain their weight. Well, you can, you just need to give your body time to recover it's metabolic functions. Assuming no chronic health conditions, and a consistent, healthy diet, your metabolism will ramp back up, not only allowing you to eat more, but giving you more energy, allowing your organs to function as they should, and reducing stress on your heart and brain (among other organs).

stick it out, you'll be pleasantly surprised!
  • 15togonar
    Options
    Why did the nutritionist suggest not buying fat free or low fat?
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Why did the nutritionist suggest not buying fat free or low fat?
    um, read the post above you. The question is answered there in the first part.
  • borjanap
    borjanap Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thanks 4 the great advice everyone. I've been doing it my way 4 a long time with no results. I figure I should give this a try and see what happens in the next month or so. I hate feeling bloated all the time and thinking that I am eating way way 2 much. But I'm giving it a try.
  • allisontaylor
    Options
    Here is another thread to check out on the subject :

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/70189-eat-more-to-lose-more-group-week-1

And an article I found very interesting and helpful:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/core_march_8.htm

In case my circumstances might help reassure you, here goes - I too have been stuck at the same weight for a few years. I work out vigorously (even teaching weightlifting classes), know about all there is to know about maintaining a healthy diet and calorie counting, and was eating too few calories myself. For about the past month or so, I've been super diligent about eating MORE during the week (which is when I was really on the low side). Weekends, I have continued to eat more calories for both Saturday's and Sunday's (around 2400-3000 at the most - with eating out, having a few frosty beverages, and kid birthday parties, etc.). BUT, for the most part, my calories are still at least 80% clean and healthy. Anyway, when I first upped my calories, I gained a pound or so...then stayed the same for a few weeks. Well, this week, I'm happy to say that 2 pounds have dropped! So, like you, I decided that what I'd been doing hadn't been working, and I'd try the upped calories thing - and it seems to make sense and to be working....slowly but surely. So keep at if for a few months (patience needed) and see how it goes. Good luck!
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Fat free or low fat items tend to have a lot of "other" stuff in them that can be detrimental to good health. I.E. artificial sweeteners, more sugars, more filler, chemicals...etc. Better to use portion control than add all the artificial stuff in there.

Depending on you're height, and bone structure, sure 2200 is reasonable. Your nutritionist sounds like he/she is giving you solid advice. Don't worry about the weight gain, that happens when you up your calories, until your metabolism catches up to your eating, this will be the case, most of it will drop back off in a few weeks though. Remember, because you had a depressed metabolism, you needed less calories to maintain. It takes many weeks and sometimes months for your metabolism to ramp back up, during that period you can gain. That doesn't mean you should eat less, on the contrary, you should stick to the plan, that weight will come off easilly once your body settles into the new weight.

This is a very common issue I see on here. People always seem to underestimate their metabolic rate because they have had a depressed metabolism so long, they just don't think they can eat a "normal" amount of food (between 1800 and 2500 calories) and still maintain their weight. Well, you can, you just need to give your body time to recover it's metabolic functions. Assuming no chronic health conditions, and a consistent, healthy diet, your metabolism will ramp back up, not only allowing you to eat more, but giving you more energy, allowing your organs to function as they should, and reducing stress on your heart and brain (among other organs).

Maybe this is answered elsewhere on MFP, but couldn't find it. Do the concerns about low-fat or non-fat products apply to milk and yogurt as well? I consume skim milk and 0% fat greek yogurt which is made with skim milk.
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options

Maybe this is answered elsewhere on MFP, but couldn't find it. Do the concerns about low-fat or non-fat products apply to milk and yogurt as well? I consume skim milk and 0% fat greek yogurt which is made with skim milk.

I don't think the problem is necessarily with products that are naturally or inherently low fat such as your skim milk or yogurt...the problem is with products that are created as low fat substitutes for the real thing - ranch dressings...cream cheese...mayonnaise, for example. The problem is that in order to create the same taste/texture of the regular fat versions, other things such as starches, gums and sodium are added. Even from a caloric standpoint, if you compare some low fat options to the full fat versions, the calorie content is similar,,,it's just the fat grams are lower. As long as the fat is lowered without processing or substituting, I think it is just fine. Kind of like choosing a pepper vs an avocado - one is lower in fat but naturally so.
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options

I don't think the problem is necessarily with products that are naturally or inherently low fat such as your skim milk or yogurt...the problem is with products that are created as low fat substitutes for the real thing - ranch dressings...cream cheese...mayonnaise, for example. The problem is that in order to create the same taste/texture of the regular fat versions, other things such as starches, gums and sodium are added. Even from a caloric standpoint, if you compare some low fat options to the full fat versions, the calorie content is similar,,,it's just the fat grams are lower. As long as the fat is lowered without processing or substituting, I think it is just fine. Kind of like choosing a pepper vs an avocado - one is lower in fat but naturally so.

That's what I thought too, thanks for the answer. Just gets kind of confusing...

I still eat full fat cheese, because I haven't found a low fat one that doesn't have some kind of thickening agent added to it.