Running: Treadmill vs outside

Options

Replies

• Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I have been offered the job of a lifetime, but it requires that I pass a physical fitness test that I must continue to pass every 6 months. Anywho, one of the tests is a 1.5 mile run in 16 min and 35 seconds. I timed myself yesterday on the treadmill, and I fell a little short....(in that time, I did 1.32 miles). I was soliciting advice from co workers who are used to running, and they both told me to not practice my runs on a treadmill at the gym because it's completely different than running outside. I'm a beginner runner, so what do they mean? Will it not do me any good to practice my running at the gym? Running outside right now is pretty out of the question unless I do it in the middle of the night....it's AZ in the summer which means 115 degrees plus with crazy humidity.....Thanks for reading....looking forward to some answers....sorry so long LOL

OP I am wondering how they will test you, if it is on a treadmill, you will be well away! Stick the treadmill (in your training) on a slight incline, this will mimic ourdoors more than if you just leave the treadmill on "flat".

11:04 minute per mile is what you need - 5.5mph (8.8kph).

However, never settle (in your training) for the bare minimum, aim for higher, that way if you fall short, you still attain what you need.

If you manage to run 1.5 miles at 6mph, that will be 15 minutes, well within what you need.

All the very best OP! Fingers crossed for you. How long do you have until that test?
    The test will be outside. It is an outdoor track out on the rec field of the academy grounds. The Commander didn't give me a time frame, he just said to keep him updated on my progress, and the job is waiting when I'm ready for it. Thank you for the crossing of fingers....:)
  • Jacole18
    Options
    Running outside is a different dynamic than running on a treadmill. Here is an article to read that might help you http://askcoachjenny.runnersworld.com/2010/12/1062.html
    I found this article SO helpful...thank you!! Great info!
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    However the test is administered, train that way. It would suck to train on a treadmill and then have your test outside on a hot & muggy day, and not do well.

For me, they are totally different experiences. I hate the treadmill. Five minutes in and I am bored, lethargic, and cranky. Put me on a track and I'm better.... I'm good on the road... and I haul a*s on the forest preserve trails. I'll run outside when it is 95 with 80% humidity, or zero degrees with snow on the road before I'll use a treadmill.

Good luck to you!!
  • stepharega
    stepharega Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Running outside is a different dynamic than running on a treadmill. Here is an article to read that might help you http://askcoachjenny.runnersworld.com/2010/12/1062.html
    I found this article SO helpful...thank you!! Great info!

Bump!
  • Run4Health66
    Options
    Something else to keep in mind is that when you lose weight, you will increase in speed. I think the average is every 10 lbs equals 20 sec per mile.
  • halejr23
    halejr23 Posts: 294
    Options
    Running outside is much more taxing on the body. That being said, you CAN train on the treadmill. You just need to be aware that your time will be slower. How much slower depends on the individual.

I know what you mean about the heat as I am in AZ as well. I usually get up at 4:30 on run days so can be outside running by 5 on run days.

Since your test is outside you should try to train outside as much as possible to get your body used to the difference. An added benefit is you burn more calories and your legs get a lot stronger.
  • ilovemyboysx3
    Options
    You've got to go out early. I'm an AZ (Phoenix) runner - outdoors. It can be done, especially for the job of a lifetime! Freeze a bottle of water that holds about 3 cups of water about 3/4 of the way full the night before and then to the top on your way out of the door. Plug in your earphones and run your little heart out! I find the heat helps motivate me to get it over with already! Good luck.!
  • Jacole18
    Options
    Something else to keep in mind is that when you lose weight, you will increase in speed. I think the average is every 10 lbs equals 20 sec per mile.
    Ooohh...that's awesome to know...thanks! :)
  • monyango
    monyango Posts: 166
    Options
    I think if you are being tested on a treadmill than you should practice on that. If you are being tested outside than I'd run outside! If you don't know, then I'd run outside. Practice multiple times a week (maybe do the couch to 5k program) and see where it takes you. I detest running on a treadmill but I get the weather thing...it's tough running in the scorching heat.

A little bit of motivation. I was training for a 5k run and my sister and I entered a 10k race. The furthest I had run before my "race" was 3km. When the day came to run the 10k I ran the whole thing and finished in the middle of the pack. I was SHOCKED. You'd be amazed what some pressure can do to you:) But don't rely on that. Preparation is your best chance!

Best of luck.
  • Jacole18
    Options
    You've got to go out early. I'm an AZ (Phoenix) runner - outdoors. It can be done, especially for the job of a lifetime! Freeze a bottle of water that holds about 3 cups of water about 3/4 of the way full the night before and then to the top on your way out of the door. Plug in your earphones and run your little heart out! I find the heat helps motivate me to get it over with already! Good luck.!
    Great advice....thank you!! :)
  • lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    This is just my own experience but I find the treadmill much more challenging that running outdoors. The treadmill forces me to keep a steady pace, even if it's faster than my usual slow plodding jog. When I am outside, I fall into my usual pace and start enjoying the scenery, etc.

Yep this ^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

exactly my experience :bigsmile:
  • lastchance2010
    Options
    Running outside is a whole different beast.

Personally, I run faster, more easily, outside than on a treadmill. It's unnatural to keep one EXACT steady pace the whole duration of a run. When you're running outside, you go a little faster, then a little slower, as needed. In my case, that evens out to a much faster average pace than when I run on a treadmill. I can easily run one mile in under 8 minutes outside, but if I try running at an 8 minute mile pace on the treadmill, I'm ready to fall off after three minutes!

That's not to say you can't improve on a treadmill. Try adjusting the speed as you run. Start off at your normal pace, then bump it up a little for a minute, and depending on how you're feeling bump it up a little bit more for another minute, or back down a little slower, and keep adjusting it.

Hmmm...I like this advise. I run m-f on the treaddy and rarely on the weekends outside, I avg like 14:20 mile run on the treadmill. I"m curious now to see how I would do on actual pavement. That just motivated me to run tomorrow morning. Thanks! :drinker:
  • nauticaboo
    nauticaboo Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I did the first 5 weeks of C25K on a treadmill, and when I started running outside, I was able to almost match my treadmill pace, and that was with adding a jogging stroller with 40 lbs of weight in it. I also added an injury, due to the differences in impacts and poor foot mechanics. So just another thing to think about. Depending on how much weight you're carrying, you might want to start on a treadmill, but I would give yourself a couple of weeks to switch over to outside running before your test if you do.
  • lastchance2010
    Options
    Dreadmills

LOL Dreadmill....:laugh:
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Have to agree with many on here - treadmill vastly different and is actually easier (it propels your feet for you whereas outside you have to do it yourself). But there is a good use for the treadmill, particularly when you are in Arizona heat. Of course, if your test will be outside, you need to do some running outside - but an outdoor track doesn't have hills, etc. which is a huge plus. So, I would say you can use your treadmill for the majority of your summer training but DO go get outside early early morning when you can and definitely when it cools off a bit. Getting acclimated to the heat is something you'll want to do at least 2 weeks before your test (experts say that 2 weeks of regular running outside, gradually bumping up) will get you acclimated. You are only talking about 1.5 miles which is not that long in the heat. So, use the treadmill definitely to stay in shape and get outside when you can. ALso, yes, incline your treadmill about 2 degrees as that supposedly makes it a little more difficult and more in comparison with outside running. An outside running track for your test is really IDEAL conditions. Practice on that type of track if you can also. Good luck on the new job!!
  • jickalina
    jickalina Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm really surprised to hear the varied responses on whether the treadmill is easier or harder for people. I've always thought it was easier. I've been doing C25K for about 4 weeks now and in the beginning, on a friends' gym pass, I jumped on the treadmill for a run. I shocked myself with how long I lasted and how great I kept pace, breathing etc. I thought, woohoo, I must be getting better at this whole running thing. Then two days later back at the outdoors and BAM. Hard as ever to find my rhythm, keep up with my distance, pushing myself to keep going, etc. The treadmill really propels you forward, not to mention all the other conditions (inclines, uneven ground, heat) aren't there that make it harder to keep running.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    For building running fitness the treadmill is fine. However, you have to be used to running outside to translate that fitness into a good outdoor timed run. So, do both. Try and get outside at least once a week and more often as the big day approaches.
  • Lisseth03
    Lisseth03 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    i'm curious, what is the job of a lifetime that requires this?
    I myself just started running outside, and I find it is a bit harder (for me) but a lot more enjoyable
    but obviously everyone is different.
    I am a Sergeant for the AZ Department of Corrections. The academy Commander offered me a job to be an academy Sergeant, which I have always dreamed of doing. The job requires strong physical fitness skills and the ability to train and motivate new cadets.

corrections?! that's sic! I want to be a corrections officer, going to school in the fall :)
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    It is very different. And I hear a lot that if you incline, it is the same as running indoors but from MY personal experience there is no comparison. It works totally different muscles in different ways. Both are great workouts but I ALWAYS feel like I got a better workout when I run outside. BUT my neighborhood is extremely hilly and that is probably a huge reason why. And I despise running on the tredmill. :) I guess it all comes down to how they will be testing you. I also agree with those who mentioned the Couch to 5K. It is a great running program and will really help you lower your time.
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    I preferred the treadmill because of the a/c and honestly its generally easier.

The thing you run on can honestly go faster than your legs are moving, so you are kind of "hopping" slower than the treadmill thinks and calculates you are. When you run outside, your muscles and legs have to adjust to uneven pavement, hills, etc and you are going your TRUE speed. I think the treadmill artificially reflects a higher speed than the runner is necessarily doing.

Outside is harder. It will keep you in the safe zone to do it there.