Getting Motivated to lose Weight

Options
Hello.

Im trying to get started, getting in shape. Ive had a very hard time getting motivated though. After I had kids I gained a lot of weight and when the Dad and I broke up It didn't help. I currently weigh 175 and I wanna lose 40 pounds. If anyone has advice on getting up and going please feel free to send me some love.<3

Replies

• Debidonut1971
    Debidonut1971 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hey...... for me, the motivation is the feelin that you get after the exercise is done! The buzz, and the general feeling of achievement. Even when the weather is appaulling, putting my running clobber on, and forcing myself out of the front door, was a massive achievement, when the television and the chocolate was a far more appealing option! I found that setting myself small goals was a boost, and making sure I set aside time for exercise, and building into my daily routine helped. Back when I was a complete novice, I booked myself onto a half marathon, I had six months to go from a couch potato, to someone who could actually complete the distance without the aid of an oxygen cylinder, or a qualified first aider!! Facing the embarrasment of being overtaken by people twice my age, dressed as rhino's ect, was enough to force me out of the front door even in minus 2 degrees!! hope this helps xx
  • violetta88
    violetta88 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    What sort of exercise are you doing? I was exactly like you - could NOT make myself get out there and exercise - until I discovered that I loved classes like pilates and yoga. For once I was enjoying exercise, not counting down the clock until the class finished, and I found that that was all the motivation I needed!

Try different things until you find one you like - maybe you're a dance person, or karate, or team sports, or running ... who knows? :smile:

And if you're busy (as I'm sure you are with two kids!) maybe bring something into the house you can use, like workout DVDs or an exercise bike? Sometimes it's easier to get started when the stuff's right there and you don't have to slog it all the way to the gym!

Best of luck!