Love Handles & Baby Belly

Options
Does anyone know an excercise that I can do at home gets rid of love handles?

What about belly fat? I had a baby 10 months ago & I cannot get rid of this flab.

I am losing weight everywhere, but those 2 places :o(

HELP! HELP! HELP!

292859.png

11/2/09 172lbs
11/9/09 171lbs

Replies

• kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options

What about belly fat? I had a baby 10 months ago & I cannot get rid of this flab.

HELP! HELP! HELP!

292859.png

11/2/09 172lbs
    11/9/09 171lbs

Are you doing a lot of cardio? Cardio is great for blasting fat!! :laugh:
  • cwvanek
    cwvanek Posts: 111
    Options

HELP! HELP! HELP!

292859.png

11/2/09 172lbs
    11/9/09 171lbs

Like the previous poster said, cardio is key. Make sure that you're working your muscles too that way you can tone as well.

Baby fat is pretty stubborn fat (in my experience anyways) It took me about a year to lose all the weight from my first. I have a 5 month old baby I'm trying to lose the extra weight from now.
  • allisontaylor
    Options
    In addition to more cardio as already mentioned, I highly recommend pilates - it provides an excellent core strengthing work out. It won't remove the fat, but will certainly tone and firm what you've got!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    No such thing as "spot reducing", and no way to control where the body will remove the excess stuff. I've lost 13 inches off my waist and I still have a double chin.

Just work on losing the bodyfat, and when it goes the baby belly and the love handles will go with it.

Cardio cardio cardio, and calorie control. :bigsmile:
  • jhall1980
    Options
    Thank you.

I try to work out as much as I can. My daughter soesn't let me get much time to myself though lol

I'm trying to come up with a routine. I'll add more cardio into it.

292859.png

11/2/09 172lbs
    11/9/09 171lbs
  • CasperO
    Options
    Have you tried the 30 day shred? I'm about 1/2way thru it and it's just vicious - fantastic workout. It's as hard as you make it, and you can make it way hard. :laugh:

$10 DVD at walmart. Just get your shorts on, grab a couple little handweights and hang on. 30 minutes later you'll be whipped. It's part of my routine and I really enjoy it.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    for the love handles I recommend doing twists.
    Option A. take an exercise ball/medicine ball ( the one with different weights on it) or dumb bells hold up to ur chest or stomach (wherever u feel it comfortable) and TWIST - side to side, focus on engaging ur abs and obliques.

Option B: using a light barbell, put it across ur back and hold on lightly and TWIST
    ( this just keeps ur hands out of the way)

again engage the muscles ur trying to target and really feel the burn.

Option C: (u can probably do this with ur kid if they're old enough) Wacky Jacks!
    this I learnt on P90x believe it or not and its fun. It's like jumping jacks but u sway ur arms side to side along with ur legs. I would google a video of it or look for it on You tube as its hard to explain. It's fun and if u really try to get ur elbows to touch ur waist/sides its like crunches but standing and they're fun.

Now for the lower abs.....
    Lay on ur back and bring ur legs straight up, now slowly bring them down in front of u, then back up, then slowly to ur right side, then back up then slowly down to ur left side. The key here is not to use ur back or leg muscles for this exercise but really engage ur lower abdomen. You should be able to feel the burn. If you wanna engage you little one u can have her stand behind ur head and have her push ur legs down in front of u each time u come up for added resistance.

hope that helps. try 3 sets of 12 or increase as u get comfortable.
  • jhall1980
    Options
    Have you tried the 30 day shred? I'm about 1/2way thru it and it's just vicious - fantastic workout. It's as hard as you make it, and you can make it way hard. :laugh:

$10 DVD at walmart. Just get your shorts on, grab a couple little handweights and hang on. 30 minutes later you'll be whipped. It's part of my routine and I really enjoy it.

I have the Slim in 6 DVD. I like it & before I had my baby I would do it pretty regularly. I am trying to get back in the swing of things. Lately I have only been using the elliptical & doing a few crunches. Between my work schedule & my girls i'm pretty much too exhausted to do anything else.
    I'm trying not to make excuses anymore. I figure in a month I will have my schedule down pat.

Thank you for your advice

Jen
  • jhall1980
    Options
    for the love handles I recommend doing twists.
    Option A. take an exercise ball/medicine ball ( the one with different weights on it) or dumb bells hold up to ur chest or stomach (wherever u feel it comfortable) and TWIST - side to side, focus on engaging ur abs and obliques.

Option B: using a light barbell, put it across ur back and hold on lightly and TWIST
    ( this just keeps ur hands out of the way)

again engage the muscles ur trying to target and really feel the burn.

Option C: (u can probably do this with ur kid if they're old enough) Wacky Jacks!
    this I learnt on P90x believe it or not and its fun. It's like jumping jacks but u sway ur arms side to side along with ur legs. I would google a video of it or look for it on You tube as its hard to explain. It's fun and if u really try to get ur elbows to touch ur waist/sides its like crunches but standing and they're fun.

Now for the lower abs.....
    Lay on ur back and bring ur legs straight up, now slowly bring them down in front of u, then back up, then slowly to ur right side, then back up then slowly down to ur left side. The key here is not to use ur back or leg muscles for this exercise but really engage ur lower abdomen. You should be able to feel the burn. If you wanna engage you little one u can have her stand behind ur head and have her push ur legs down in front of u each time u come up for added resistance.

hope that helps. try 3 sets of 12 or increase as u get comfortable.

thank you so much. I can feel the burn just thinking about it :laugh:
  • cwvanek
    Options

I have the Slim in 6 DVD. I like it & before I had my baby I would do it pretty regularly. I am trying to get back in the swing of things. Lately I have only been using the elliptical & doing a few crunches. Between my work schedule & my girls i'm pretty much too exhausted to do anything else.
    I'm trying not to make excuses anymore. I figure in a month I will have my schedule down pat.

Thank you for your advice

Jen

I try and squeeze a short workout in during naps. I do 30 day shred or BL Cardio Max which are about 20 minutes long. During his longer afternoon nap I will try something like Jillian's Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism. I have a 2 year old who gets pretty angry when I turn off his Dora or Spongebob to exercise so I've included him too. He looks forward to exercising with mommy in the mornings and it cracks me up to see him doing jumping jacks and crunches.

Only bad thing is he's started yelling at Jillian too :P
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options

I second the 30-Day Shred DVD. I only did it for 10 days, and lost 2-3 inches from my waist alone. It's a combo of cardio and strength training, so like Casper said, it's a fantastic workout. Jillian Michaels suggests reverse crunches (you do some in level 1 of the DVD) to help firm the baby belly. Remember, when you were pregnant, you didn't just gain weight in your belly, you also stretched your ab muscles completely out of whack, so cardio will reduce the fat, strength wil get the muscles back in shape.

Like another poster said, time is key too. It took me 14 months from when my baby was born before I would even look at a swimsuit.
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    Thank you.

I try to work out as much as I can. My daughter soesn't let me get much time to myself though lol

292859.png

11/2/09 172lbs
    11/9/09 171lbs

I have a two year old with me all of the time (a five yr old in school during the day)... My daughter LOVES to dance, so I started "dancing" with her... We turn on music and SHAKE OUR GROOVE THANGS!!! Its a great time for both of us and we are both getting in some really fun cardio... Just a suggestion on how to work a little workout in and spend some quality time with your daughter :happy:
  • jhall1980
    Options
    Thank you.

292859.png

11/2/09 172lbs
    11/9/09 171lbs

I have a two year old with me all of the time (a five yr old in school during the day)... My daughter LOVES to dance, so I started "dancing" with her... We turn on music and SHAKE OUR GROOVE THANGS!!! Its a great time for both of us and we are both getting in some really fun cardio... Just a suggestion on how to work a little workout in and spend some quality time with your daughter :happy:

My little one is not quite there yet... but you better believe as soon as she is we will be movin' & a shakin' all around the house :smile:
    I also can't wait for summer to come around again... Michigan winters are loooong & cold

If I have to do a lot of mall walking with her during the winter I will... I am determined to meet my goal & then set another

Thanks again
  • jhall1980
    Options

I second the 30-Day Shred DVD. I only did it for 10 days, and lost 2-3 inches from my waist alone. It's a combo of cardio and strength training, so like Casper said, it's a fantastic workout. Jillian Michaels suggests reverse crunches (you do some in level 1 of the DVD) to help firm the baby belly. Remember, when you were pregnant, you didn't just gain weight in your belly, you also stretched your ab muscles completely out of whack, so cardio will reduce the fat, strength wil get the muscles back in shape.

Like another poster said, time is key too. It took me 14 months from when my baby was born before I would even look at a swimsuit.

Thank you Jenna

I may have to pick that up.

:happy:
  • CasperO
    Options
    Have you tried the 30 day shred? <<SNIP>>

I have the Slim in 6 DVD.<<SNIP>>
    Jen

I try and squeeze a short workout in during naps. I do 30 day shred or BL Cardio Max which are about 20 minutes long. During his longer afternoon nap I will try something like Jillian's Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism. I have a 2 year old who gets pretty angry when I turn off his Dora or Spongebob to exercise so I've included him too.

He looks forward to exercising with mommy in the mornings and it cracks me up to see him doing jumping jacks and crunches.

I would pay $ to see that! Cool,,, you're teaching him good stuff that will last the rest of his life. Good for you both.
  • cwvanek
    Options
    Have you tried the 30 day shred? <<SNIP>>

I have the Slim in 6 DVD.<<SNIP>>
    Jen

I try and squeeze a short workout in during naps. I do 30 day shred or BL Cardio Max which are about 20 minutes long. During his longer afternoon nap I will try something like Jillian's Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism. I have a 2 year old who gets pretty angry when I turn off his Dora or Spongebob to exercise so I've included him too.

He looks forward to exercising with mommy in the mornings and it cracks me up to see him doing jumping jacks and crunches.

I would pay $ to see that! Cool,,, you're teaching him good stuff that will last the rest of his life. Good for you both.

Thanks! :happy: