Bikram yoga??

Options
Was thinking of starting this and I am wondering how many days do you do it a week and if I could stand the heat. Any input would be great :)

Replies

• cookieluvsya
    cookieluvsya Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    bump I was thinking the same thing =)
  • lbaileyjohannsen
    lbaileyjohannsen Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My sister in law does bikram three days a week, and she is hardcore. I would say if you are a yoga beginner to learn the basics before taking the plunge.
  • Bridge_CG
    Bridge_CG Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Start off with the gentle heat classes and work your way into the full heat. I did my first round of Bikram a month or so ago, and I almost died. Work your way into it!!!!! It's a lot of fun, super intense and relaxing!
  • Tracey0013
    Tracey0013 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have done yoga on and off for the last 10 years of my life but don't know if the heat would kill me.
  • Chantal34
    Chantal34 Posts: 128
    Options
    I have done it and it is serious business!!! One session can burn 900+ calories.
  • SomeMorr
    SomeMorr Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I did Bikram twice, in a full heat room. Some of the "mild" classes are 85 degrees. The first time I felt like I was going to black out, but at the end when they bring you the ice cold washcloth... it feels amazing. You sweat out a ton of water weight (I mean 90 straight minutes of 105 degrees will do that). You should give it a try at least once, but don't let them talk you in to the "better deal" of paying for 10 or 20 classes in advance. I got suckered into that.

edit: I have done yoga off and on for 10 years.... Bikram is a nice change of pace but I couldnt do it for an extended period of time
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I had no experience and jumped into a hot yoga class (not bikram, but same idea) and LOVED IT!! The only reason I don't still do it is because I moved and got a new job and haven't quite worked it into my schedule yet. Just go for it, stay really hydrated, and respect and listen to your body. It's fab.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    At first the heat will really get to you. Stop and rest when you need. After a couple sessions (give it at least 3-4 before judging it...it's usually not love at first sight) you'll be used to it. Take a yoga towel, or really big beach towel, to cover your mat. Also take room temperature water, ice water is discouraged because of how it affects the body while in the heat. You'll also want to have eaten but, not within an hour or so of yoga.

I never went more than 3 times a week but, you'll feel what is right for you.

Enjoy!
  • JenSuperGirl
    JenSuperGirl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It will take you at least 1/2 classes to get used to the heat. Bikram has 26 poses and they are repeated twice through.If you have never practised yoga before I would recommend you have a go at some routines on youtube (yogatic is great)

Bikram is no walk in the park, its very challenging yet very invigorating. Love or Hate.

I wish you all best on your yoga journey! :)
  • Chantal34
    Chantal34 Posts: 128
    Options
    The heat really isn't that bad...then again I'm from Texas. I'm used to it.:laugh:
  • konalove3
    konalove3 Posts: 79
    Options
    def just start with hot yoga and see how you like it. then try bikram and take it easy and make sure you hydrate before and after!
  • KendraLoveless
    Options
    I had no real yoga experience to speak of, tried Bikram, and Loved it! They knew I was new, and kept reminding me, and everyone else, to only do as much as I could... They were very respectful of each individual's level. and of course, they really pushed those in the class who were hard core. If you can find a class that is respectful of each individual, you can't go wrong. Unless you have a medical condition that would contraindicate hot yoga.
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I hated my first class but sucked it up to try it one more time..and fell in love! I found that it did more for my mind than my body but I only went once a week for a few months. I took a break and am hoping to get back into it and start going more often (2x a week). A lot depends on the teacher. I had a hilarious instructor and it was a blast. It helps when you have nearly 60 people in there sweating it out with you!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    I have done it and it is serious business!!! One session can burn 900+ calories.
    Exaggerated. This is a misconception because of more sweating. Sweat isn't the best indication of calorie expenditure. You can sweat sitting in a sauna.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Exaggerated. This is a misconception because of more sweating. Sweat isn't the best indication of calorie expenditure. You can sweat sitting in a sauna.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I love Bikram yoga. The heat actually becomes welcome after one or 2 sessions. You will want to heat. If you continue going, you will go for the intangible benefits rather than the weight loss benefits.

When I was near a bikram studio and went on a regular basis, I would average approx 400-450 calories for a 90 minute class.
    It is addicting but can be a bit expensive.
  • luchien
    luchien Posts: 15
    Options
    Anyone can learn to love the heat, you just have to give yourself time to get used to it. My first few times I layed down for prob 15min out of the 90min class. You will feel dizzy, etc and its best to just take a break then get back into it when your heart rate has slowed. After a few classes you will be participating most of the class and not having to take breaks.

When I am really into it and have the time I go 3-4 days a week, otherwise at least once/twice a week to see any benefits. You will sweat, get a cardio workout and get the best stretch of your life.

Also, I have done Barkan, Moksha, and Bikram methods. By far Moksha or Barkan were the best. If you have any studios offering those methods instead I reccomend them over Bikram.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    do some poses outside(if it is warm where you live) and see how you feel.
  • Tracey0013
    Tracey0013 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Also, I have done Barkan, Moksha, and Bikram methods. By far Moksha or Barkan were the best. If you have any studios offering those methods instead I reccomend them over Bikram.
    [/quote]

Thanks for the info what makes the other two better?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    do some poses outside(if it is warm where you live) and see how you feel.

this isnt a bad idea but in no way will it give you a feel for what its like in a bikram studio with soft or little lighting, quiet instruction and the synergy that happens when you and a group are focused on just breathing and getting deeper into the pose

this may sound a bit strange, but something mystical/magical happens in a good bikram class
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I hated my first class but sucked it up to try it one more time..and fell in love! I found that it did more for my mind than my body but I only went once a week for a few months. I took a break and am hoping to get back into it and start going more often (2x a week). A lot depends on the teacher. I had a hilarious instructor and it was a blast. It helps when you have nearly 60 people in there sweating it out with you!