Ate WAYYYY over )':

Options
Or, I believe I did. This month losing weight has been a battle from battling depression and stress. And today I over ate a lot. I had a homemade omelet (not too bad), a taco salad (pretty bad), and an ENTIRE 12" sub from Harris Teeter. I gained 2lbs since Monday when I weighted myself on Wed, so after that I'd been good. I just feel bad /: Any advice? I know you shouldn't beat yourself up, but I feel like I'm regressing..):

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    First off, know that your gain is most likely water weight. It's just not possible to gain two pounds of muscle or fat that quickly.

Second, give yourself some room to indulge. I'm breastfeeding right now, but when I was losing I always took 1-2 days off from counting calories and being "good" with my food. I ate out, had junk food, whatever I wanted. It never stopped me from losing and it definitely helped keep me on track. As the months went by, I found I was eating healthier on those days off because my body just didn't want junk anymore. But, I always had that freedom and that kept me from giving up.

Third, don't worry too much about today. Just do better tomorrow.
  • Kenhabes
    Kenhabes Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Remember, to gain two pounds of fat, you would have had to have eaten roughly 3500 * 2 = 7,000 calories OVER what you burn from daily activities and exercise. I highly doubt you did that, but you would know better.

More likely, you had a sodium overload and are retaining water. Eat plenty of low-sodium, potassium-rich foods like avocados, apricots and bananas; drink plenty of water; exercise as much as you can (which should also relieve stress and liven your mood). Give it some time. I'll bet those two pounds will come off.

With that said, I'm not an expert, but that's what *I* would do. Your mileage may vary.

I hope your spirits pick up soon!
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    You cant put the food back on the plate.
    Move on.
    Do better tomorrow. Go for a walk. Burn up the calories. Be healthy.
  • MandiS80
    MandiS80 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    42 Pounds lost! That's great, don't beat yourself up. What I do when I have a bit too much to eat is have a good workout, the guilt isn't as bad or that way. I also give myself one "cheat" day a week so that I can have a bit more of the naughty stuff guilt free.
  • maryfern2
    maryfern2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You are doing amazing - 42 pounds gone???? Wow so keep that in perspective. It's tough to avoid emotional eating but I think the important thing is you recognize it and can start fresh right this minute.

I weigh myself every day and it's a big reinforcement in not getting too attached to results, up or down. I can easily be 2 pounds up one day, down 3 the next, up 1. I only count and record every Friday's weight which I think tells the real story.

Good luck - be good to yourself!!!
  • joconnor09
    joconnor09 Posts: 124
    Options
    don't worry so much. just make sure you stay on track the rest of the week! your body looks at calories more long-term- it considers calorie intakes in weeks, not days like we do. so as long as you stay on track for your overall calorie goal for the week, you should be ok. and remember, it's ok to indulge every once in a while! as long as it's not every day, or even several times a week, you'll be just fine. the weight gain you experienced is just your body being a body- your weight can change up to two pounds in a DAY! it all depends on when you weigh yourself- did you just eat, have you not eaten for a while, morning or night. there are a lot of factors that go into what you weigh at any given time. it's good that you recognized a bad habit and want to correct it though- start worrying when you no longer care about those habits! but for now, know that you had an unplanned cheat day, maybe work out a little more this week, and move on knowing that you're getting better and stronger every day!
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much. I didn't think about it being water weight. I suppose tomorrow morning I'll just press on like I always do. Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred is something I'm going to start in the morning. I WILL NOT REGRESS.