Where do you go?

What do you think of when you are working out? I have to kinda zone out so I am not aware of my boredom. I usually imagine myself in a band playing the song I am listening to. I will do anything to take myself out of the workout setting. Weights are one thing, as you are constantly stopping and starting, but cardio is sooooooo boring! 15 minutes on the elliptical feels like 8 years. Anyone have any adivce on how not to be bored?

Replies

• Violet1980
    Violet1980 Posts: 54
    What do you think of when you are working out? I have to kinda zone out so I am not aware of my boredom. I usually imagine myself in a band playing the song I am listening to. I will do anything to take myself out of the workout setting. Weights are one thing, as you are constantly stopping and starting, but cardio is sooooooo boring! 15 minutes on the elliptical feels like 8 years. Anyone have any adivce on how not to be bored?
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    I can only do cardio stuff in front of a t.v. I'm like you, otherwise it's just too mind-numbingly boring....:sick: :sick:
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    I can't work out at a gym on an elliptical if there isn't a television. I just zone out and watch t.v. and before I know it, I've gone for an hour. If not, a book on tape or CD might help you have something to at least listen to. Pick a special book that you've been wanting to read that they have on CD and listen to that instead of music, and keep it as your "special gym CD" so then you'll have something to look forward to on the elliptical.
  • blondeheat
    blondeheat Posts: 254 Member
    I try to get outside when possible with running, rollerblading, cycling or walking. Next choice is a class and only as a last resort I use the exercise machines and watch TV. Those things are terribly boring! :grumble: Of course bottom line is exercise is critical to success so I put the image of me in a bikini in my mind when I think of skipping!

Good luck!
  • missktuga
    missktuga Posts: 21
    I imagine I'm all dolled up and in a club dancing with some hot guy to the song thats playin.... either that or I imagine I'm performing it :)
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Guess I am in good company - I am a TV watcher too. The good news is that I know more about the upcoming election and the candidates than I ever thought i wanted to know!!!!!

If I cannot watch TV or I am outdoors - I sing with the music and talk myself through the workout (just make it to the next tree, now just make it to the next house....)
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    When I'm on the elliptical, I imagine myself in a cute little outfit. When running, I don't really think about anything, other than having to watch for dog and geese poop, I feel pretty free.

:flowerforyou:
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    I imagine I'm all dolled up and in a club dancing with some hot guy to the song thats playin.... either that or I imagine I'm performing it :)

Me too! :blushing:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    I think about my wedding plans LOL, I listen to slow music on my ipod and picture the song playing at my wedding, we havnt picked our song yet, lol
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    I have specific playlists for specific moods. Sometimes. . . I solve problems thinking things out. . .sometimes I go to "superhero land" where I am chasing villains (what can I say. . .I'm a dork)

I like to mix my playlists so that I can play around with the settings on the machine (elliptical, usually) So, I'll have a slower tempo song where I max the resistance, followed by a faster song where I lower the resistance and up my strides per minute. This helps to mix things up.

Another thing I do for cardio is break it up. 15 minutes on the rowing machine, 15 minutes on the cross trainer, 15 minutes on the stationary bike, etc. This really helps with the boredom factor.:flowerforyou:
  • Violet1980
    Violet1980 Posts: 54

Oh, i need to try that!
  • kimmerlyjo
    kimmerlyjo Posts: 134 Member
    I download tv shows to the Ipod and watch them. Last year it was all about HEROES (man that made time fly by) and lately i've been watching season one of Army Wives.
  • BlazinEmerald
    BlazinEmerald Posts: 842
    well I keep my hands stationary while on the elliptical , lol I dunno moving them throws me off balance, yeah Im wierd. So I have mastered holding on with one hand and holding a book in the other. My hubby laughs. Told ya I'd rather read than anything else though. If not that My hubby made me a music mix with a program called Mix Meistro it is one mix that plays for my entire workout, all pump it up and kick your *kitten* songs, and I just concentrate on the words. and since I hate when people talk to me when Im exercising , I turn it up to ear splitting lol :tongue: