protein shakes

Options
cwjett
cwjett Posts: 189 Member
I wanted to get everyone's opinion of protein powder.
I normally get smoothies from smoothie king a couple times a week for breakfast but at $5 a pop its all adding up! I have decided i can save alot of money if i can just make them at home.

Does anyone have any reccomendations on a good vanilla or chocolate protein powder that will fill me up(i drink them as my breakfast) low calories and will give me some energy or get my metabolism going!

There are so many choices out there and they are too expensive to buy and not like it.
I would love any input from all of you!

Replies

• cwjett
    Options
    I wanted to get everyone's opinion of protein powder.
    I normally get smoothies from smoothie king a couple times a week for breakfast but at $5 a pop its all adding up! I have decided i can save alot of money if i can just make them at home.

Does anyone have any reccomendations on a good vanilla or chocolate protein powder that will fill me up(i drink them as my breakfast) low calories and will give me some energy or get my metabolism going!

There are so many choices out there and they are too expensive to buy and not like it.
    I would love any input from all of you!

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I swear by Jay Robb's protein powders (states only, health food stores or whole foods should have them) I use the egg white vanilla. They have few ingredients for a protein powder (some of them get awfully "chemically" for my taste) and I have dairy issues, so can't have whey protein. At my old health food store before I moved, it was available in economy size jugs, but also in individual packets.

A lot of the brands come in single serve packets, which might be a way to try a few and see what you like.

:flowerforyou:
  • mrucci
    mrucci Posts: 8
    Options
    I am not sure about Vanilla or Chocolate. However, I recently tried a protein called "Beneprotein" that you can add to just about anything to up the protein content. It is tasteless and can be added to just about anything. I have been putting it in my yogurt to up the protein content 2 times a day. It is kind of hard to find; I found it in the drug store (not the health food store).

Also, there are a lot of protein powders in the health food store as well. You could ask which one is the best tasting and try that as well. Good luck! :)
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I've ordered "Wonder Slim" vanilla shakes ($10/for 7 packets) & blend with 8 oz. fat free milk and blueberries (or fruit of your choice). Soooooo good! :love:

I couldn't stick with $5 shake for too long either! :noway:
  • chiefiron
    chiefiron Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    You need to decide which you want. Protien powder or a Meal Replacement powder (MRP).

I curently use Metrex MRP for breakfast its ok tasting and not overly expensive.

Protien powder i use 3 times a day one before workouts and one after and as my last meal/snack.
    my current favorite is BSN Mochaccino supper yummy and less than a $1 per scoop if ordered through bodybuilding.com.

like i said figure out which you want and remember most protien powders and MRP are not "Diet" products and will say so on their lables.

Tim
  • cwjett
    Options
    thanks Tim, I guess I am looking for a meal replacement. I dont need tons of protein, just a little.
    I just like smoothies that have all the vitamins in it and i can drink it on my way to work.
    that mochaccino sounds really good!! lol so that is a protein powder not meal replacement?
  • chiefiron
    chiefiron Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Yeah protien powder. but lots of good stuff and really good tasting. I always use ice cold milk and its almost sinful......as far as protien powders go.

Tim
  • gonezobean
    gonezobean Posts: 154
    Options
    I use body fortress chocolate whey protein.

I love it.

I have a 1/2 scoop in the morning with 1/4 cup Dannon Light & Fit vanilla yogurt, 1/4 cup lowfat vanilla soymilk, 1/2 banana, 1/4 cup blueberries and 1 tbsp Trader joes golden Flaxseed.

Let me tell you it is delightful.

I buy my fruit frozen and throw in all sorts of twists...mango chunks, pinapple ect