This is just not possible.....

Options
I am a big fella....& I'm 42 and concerned about my health. I feel great but weigh 265 (6 foot ish). I have a friend who has been very successful using MFP so I came to the site two days ago & put in my info. 1890 calories a day????

I eat like a horse & am having trouble conceiving I can lose weight eating this much. My guess is beer is my downfall. When I drink beer....I drink at least a 12 pack....probably more. If I knock out beer drinking....add some resistance training....eat those calories back, will this really work? I'm astounded at some of the success stories. I'd like to drop 70 pounds btw.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Replies

• Kcarroll01
    Kcarroll01 Posts: 18
    Options
    Oh yes....if you can cut down on the beer, you will see a big difference for sure.
  • RLDeShazo
    RLDeShazo Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I started this last month. it has my calories set at a little over 2000. I usually eat below that by a few hundred calories. I go to the gym about 4 days a week and do what I can on the treadmill, the bike, and some strength training. I've managed to lose 11 pounds eating that much. You can do it.
  • _HeyMommy_
    _HeyMommy_ Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    My husband is 41.. 6ft tall and weighed close to 295. He quit drinking and stopped having more
    then one helping of food at meals.. thats it. As of Jan of this year, he weighs about 265. Im sure adding
    exercise will help lose more quickly.. but just cutting out beer and alcohol (w/pop)..worked wonders.
    So it's def. doable... good luck!
  • danimal5867
    danimal5867 Posts: 390
    Options
    Yes. It is possible. It can work. I'm 45, 5'9" and I was 262 when I started this in April. Today I weighed in under 220 for the first time since the '80s. As far as exercise is concerned, I recommend lots of cardio work to start. Elliptical, treadmill, stationary bike, anything that will get your heart pumping for 30 - 60 minutes. I send you a friend request so you can see what has been working for me.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    You can eat much more then that and still lose. If you put in to lose 1 lb per week it will knock off 500 cals a day. The us and canada usually recommend a diet of 2500 cals a day for the average male. I hate the way mfp takes so many cals away. It set me up for 1200 a day and I am 5' 7 and was never over weight. I then calculated my tdee and set my 1200 to 1650 plus exercise cals and lost a lb a week. For more info
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/637094-cinderella-s-weight-loss-knowledge
  • YvonneWilson21
    Options
    Cut out all that alcohol! Not only is it not good for you're body but it's a major waste of calories. To keep things slow and realistic, you might try a light beer to replace whatever the type is you are currently drinking. Start slow and reduce the amount you consume over days. For example: 5 cans of beer for a week, then staring the next week only consume 4. It's a lot easier to do if it's gradual and realistic. Once you get rid of all those empty calories you are taking in from the beer, you will no doubt have an easier time meeting the calorie goal. You can definitely do it! :)
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    You can do it. I am 40, 5' 11"...used to weigh 250, I now weigh 231..and dropping. I used to love to drink beer, but now I enjoy the feeling of baggy clothes more. Once you see a few lbs come off, it will motivate you to keep going. You have to decide what's more important for you.
  • rockytophigh
    Options
    Guys/Girls I can't thank you enough for the positive encouragement. Coder....where were you when I was struggling to pass university level algebra? lol. Amazing link & wow....are you not only Cinderella........you're seriously smart!

I wasn't sure opening up about the beer drinking was the right thing to do...but I figured I could take the heat if people wanted to fuss at me. It is the internet after all & if nothing else, I could come sit on them :0) Thanks for being so open and understanding ya'll.

I really hope this works.....to be honest I want to be around for my son....I've tried low carb, vegan, etc. and while I have short term success with them.....I always return to eating poorly in addition to the beer. Some nights....I've drank more than 20 Bud Lights.....geez.
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    This is funny to me. You think it's a lot of calories until you start inputting, and realize, holy COW, I must have been eating about 4000+ calories a day before. I have a friend who weighs 300, and he definitely had that moment the 1st day! It will work, you will lose. There are tons & tons of people on here to prove it. Log EVERYTHING and be honest.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I am a big fella....& I'm 42 and concerned about my health. I feel great but weigh 265 (6 foot ish). I have a friend who has been very successful using MFP so I came to the site two days ago & put in my info. 1890 calories a day????

I'm 43, six feet, and weighed 235 five months ago and 175 today. I averaged about 1600 calories per day not including my exercise calories. I DO eat my exercise calories for the most part. This means...if I am allowed 1600 calories a day and then I exercise and burn 1600 more, I can basically eat 3200 calories a day and still lose weight. Just eat healthy food.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    Guys/Girls I can't thank you enough for the positive encouragement. Coder....where were you when I was struggling to pass university level algebra? lol. Amazing link & wow....are you not only Cinderella........you're seriously smart!

I wasn't sure opening up about the beer drinking was the right thing to do...but I figured I could take the heat if people wanted to fuss at me. It is the internet after all & if nothing else, I could come sit on them :0) Thanks for being so open and understanding ya'll.

I really hope this works.....to be honest I want to be around for my son....I've tried low carb, vegan, etc. and while I have short term success with them.....I always return to eating poorly in addition to the beer. Some nights....I've drank more than 20 Bud Lights.....geez.

those quick fix diets where you focus on carbs, or fat, or cabbage, or WHATEVER usually work in the beginning and then fail. many of us have been there.
    eating at a deficit and working out are the keys to success i believe. i have been doing this with dedication for roughly 2 months and have dropped 32 pounds. i havent eliminated ANYTHING from my diet....when i want ice cream, i'll have a damn ice cream...i'll just factor that into my day. another HUGE key to this for me was WATER. before this, i NEVER drank water....seriously...never. i peed once in the morning, and once at night. i was a diet soda or crystal light or ice tea with a million splendas in it....now im WATER. i push to drink between 100-128oz a day. i feel that has really helped too.
    this is a great site full of knowledge and support. stick around, LOG EVERYTHING, DRINK YOUR WATER, and KICK *kitten*!
  • Mistie072
    Mistie072 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP in March and already have lost 53 pounds. Being honest with the program will honestly show quick results. Good Luck!!!
  • caiialily
    caiialily Posts: 28
    Options
    Here's some fun numbers. In general, to lose a pound, you need to create a deficit of 3500 calories. You can do this by eating less, exercising more, or a combo of the two. That's really your call.

Assuming a can of Bud Light is about 110 calories, a twelve pack will set you back about 1320 calories. If you skipped your regular twelve pack of beer just three times, that would add up to 3960 calories - more than the amount needed to lose a pound. And you've done nothing except take a pass on the beer!

Assuming you don't make any other changes (like replacing beer with snacks or sugary beverages), you should certainly see some results. Now, if you also add in that exercise, your results will be even quicker. And if you begin to also monitor your food intake, you could really see something amazing.

It really is possible! You can do this!! Best of luck to you.