how to prevent blisters and chafing

c2sky
c2sky Posts: 487 Member
I have posted this before, but I think I will again because iti's so simple. If you want to eliminate blisters on your feet,, and chafing sores, try following this tip I learned from an elite runner.

Put antipersperant all over your feet, and as best you can in between your toes. You can also put in areas where your clothing rubs, like waistbands, inner thighs, bra lines, and armholes.

As an added protection, wear wool socks. Go to a sporting goods or outdoors store. There are wonderful, comfortable, washable wool socks for all kinds of hiking and running. Those socks are well worth the $10-15 you will pay.

Stop messing with Vaseline, tape, and gooey expensive body glides. Use your favorite anti-persperant, and get out there!

have a great summer everyone!

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Piping up to say thanks, and give an endorsement....this method really does work. The anti-perspirant, IDK about wool socks....
  • c2sky
    Piping up to say thanks, and give an endorsement....this method really does work. The anti-perspirant, IDK about wool socks....

Thanks for backing it up. The wool socks are cushiony, insulating, and very dry wicking. Wool is the perfect natural fiber for sweaty feet that, and also fighting the weather elements. I wore them today running in cold rain...yes, it's raining in Washington today, in the 50's....but I digress. The wool socks ABSOLUTELY kept my feet dry.

I know wool sounds scratchy, but good wool socks are not scratchy at all. They are very comfortable, and cushiony. And they last a long time!

Try them.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    I second the wool socks. I use Smartwool Phd's and never get blisters. I thought wool would be too hot in the summer but it is not at all, and I overheat easily.
  • icerafta
    icerafta Posts: 38
    My arms just near my armpits get chaffed when I use my arms during my aqua aerobics sessions. They rub on the side of my suit and now I have rough patches (painful ones) under my arms. I work out quite aggressively. Would the technique work to decrease the friction from my suit? The effected skin feels like an old suitcase and it's totally gross!!!
  • c2sky
    My arms just near my armpits get chaffed when I use my arms during my aqua aerobics sessions. They rub on the side of my suit and now I have rough patches (painful ones) under my arms. I work out quite aggressively. Would the technique work to decrease the friction from my suit? The effected skin feels like an old suitcase and it's totally gross!!!

That's a toughy. Because I don't know how it would work in the water. As far as restoring your skin, a visit to your dermatologist might be the trick. I had an exzema type problem with my eyelids this last fall, and everyone kept telling me what to try. Someone even suggested I might have shingles. I only have catastrophic health insurance, so I avoided getting to a dermatologist. But I finally did. It was SOO worth it. I got a perscription that was the only thing out of about 10 things I tried.

One suggestion she made to me, which might help you, is to use safflower oil or lanolin after it is healed.

But you could certainly try the secret during your aqua class. I just don't know how it will hold up in the water, or how to restore your skin. I'm just saying in sweaty situations, it works great!
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Put antipersperant all over your feet, and as best you can in between your toes. You can also put in areas where your clothing rubs, like waistbands, inner thighs, bra lines, and armholes.

Roll on or solid?
  • piesbd
    piesbd Posts: 196 Member
    I use solid.
  • c2sky
    I use a stick or I guess you might say solid. I actually use Secret unscented.
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Thank you! Wish I'd read this before I went hiking today! :D
  • lorettaasmith
    lorettaasmith Posts: 418 Member
    It also works to put in on the inside of your thighs to help prevent "chub rub". However, I find that it wears off before the end of a long run! How long will it stay effective on your feet?
  • Body Glide is your friend.
  • Melonpaul
    Melonpaul Posts: 323 Member
    It sounds like a great idea, but personally I use CVS brand foot powder, any brand will do, but that helps with blisters on my feet.
  • angelicarubi
    angelicarubi Posts: 148 Member
    bump
  • emrys1976
    emrys1976 Posts: 213 Member
    i use it as well - I use certain dry roll-on. Works like a charm!
  • c2sky
    It also works to put in on the inside of your thighs to help prevent "chub rub". However, I find that it wears off before the end of a long run! How long will it stay effective on your feet?
    I used it on a hike, in the heat, and was out there for 11 miles, with lots of side trips, so it was all day. I think the wool socks helped a great deal too.

I have also done a couple 1/2 marathons, and got no thigh chafing at all, when I used it. Maybe some brands are better than others.
  • c2sky
    Also, I went backpacking with some very seasoned backpackers, who put in easily 50 mile plus weeks of hiking. They had never heard of it. They used mine, and they admitted it worked really well.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Okay, I'll try the antiperspirant on my long run tomorrow. However, wool socks??? It's 90+ degrees now in SC, so I'll have to pass on the wool socks:noway: !!
  • c2sky
    I second the wool socks. I use Smartwool Phd's and never get blisters. I thought wool would be too hot in the summer but it is not at all, and I overheat easily.

nwhitley, read this. He is one of my pals and lives in a very hot humid climate. It really does help insulate against heat, and pull sweat from body.

Check these out. These are what I wear. They won't be too hot, I promise.
    http://www.rei.com/gear/feature/search/Google/Wigwam running socks/?s_kwcid=TC|13029|wigwam%20running%20socks||S|e|13088005805&cm_mmc=ps_google_OW-_-Category%20-%20Footwear-_-Footwear_Socks_Brand_Wigwam-_-wigwam%20running%20socks&gclid=CIjYmdal5bACFaYaQgodw1c14g
  • c2sky
    Okay, I'll try the antiperspirant on my long run tomorrow. However, wool socks??? It's 90+ degrees now in SC, so I'll have to pass on the wool socks:noway: !!

And here's another example, as my friend was saying he uses. http://www.amazon.com/Smartwool-PhD-Running-Micro-Socks/dp/B004L48VZC
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Better yet, 2 Toms products...Blister Shield sock powder and Sport Shield roll-on. An ultra runner turned me on to these products.