Emotional Eating NSV

Options
montana_girl
montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
I am an emotional eater. And even with all the weight I’ve lost, I’m still not good at separating food from emotions.

Lately when I get emotional, I still binge but it’s on lesser amounts and healthier options (helps that I don’t really have junk food handy anymore). So I figured I was making strides in my emotional eating. But today was a big leap forward for me.

Right before lunch I was hit with some family drama and had to leave work (and cancel my lunch time walk date). After an hour of stress, panic, and anger, I headed back to work. As relieved as I was to have the issue resolved, I was left with one feeling… the urge to eat. My thoughts were on fast food and/or ice cream.

On the drive back to work I had to pass a Burger King, Wendy’s, McDonald’s, KFC, A&W, Dairy Queen, and Taco John’s. As tempted as I was to pull into a drive thru of one these places, I kept reminding myself that eating was not going to erase my emotions. It would not make me feel better. And it would mess up my eating plan for the day (which I had carefully worked out this morning since I know I’m going out to dinner tonight).

So, with white knuckles on the steering wheel, I drove back to work. I then had to face the smell of pizza from our building’s cafeteria. I sat at my desk and realized that if I tried to eat my lunch at that moment, I would devour my lunch and want to continue eating. I grabbed a bottle of water and walked to a co-worker’s office, vented to her about my family drama, and returned my own office calmer and more clear-headed. I gave myself another 5 to 10 minutes to calm down, and then ate my lunch I brought with me. The only thing I ate that I had not planned for the day was a 100 calorie bag of Cheez-Its.

For me, this is a huge victory. I have been working on my weight loss and maintenance for over 8 years and this is the first time I can remember NOT giving into the urge to eat because of my emotions.

I can only hope that I will remember this feeling the next time I am fighting with my emotions. Because at this moment I have feel like I have the power over food and not the other way around.

Replies

• hfzimmerman
    hfzimmerman Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Amazing!!! And way to go!!! I'm an emotional eater as well my brain shuts off and I just eat. This is inspiring that maybe one day I too will be able to have control!
  • messicamae
    messicamae Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Great job!! I did not realize I was an emotional eater until I lost my Dad 10 months ago. About 2 months ago I realized that I had gained 20lbs and I did not know how or even why. Since this puts my loss back to the holidays I knew that I had no eaten pies and cakes but what did I have, how did thi shppen, why did I allow myself to do this.. Its awful when you wake up and realize you had control and drove yourself right where you did not want to go. Your story is inspiring to me and your weight tracker is wonderful!! Keep up the hard work and effort you are doing a wonderful job and it has paid off!! Good for you!
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    You did fantastic. I know those same temptations for similar reasons and you realized early on that eating that junk was not going to make the problems any better and you'd feel like crap after you ate it.

Kudos to your smart level headed thinking when it was so easy to say **** it . Great for sticking to your guns and hopefully the rest of your day will go as planned and you'll enjoy your planned dinner tonite.
  • adbohls
    adbohls Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! How victorious you must feel!!!! Next time you think you want to eat based on emotions, take the time to read this to remind youself how good it did feel.
  • kcoburn327
    kcoburn327 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Such a big step!!! That is just fantastic! Keep up the great work.
  • bethhyg
    bethhyg Posts: 209
    Options
    Such a big break thru for you today. I am proud that you had the will to not just give in to food. Because I know that would have only caused GUILT. So here's a big YIPEEEE for you today. :happy:
  • 3ofmine
    3ofmine Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Right there with ya girl. I have the same problem it's if I am bored, stressed, sad, mad...I just wanted to eat. The other day I was sitting in my living room and it was right before the kids were getting out of school(they had a week left) and they weren't home yet all the sudden I was SO HUNGRY. I had just ate lunch so I grabbed a water and went for a walk. I walked for about 20mins and came back inside and wasn't hungry anymore. I realized at that moment "OMG! I do have control and I can do this." It was an amazing feeling and I don't even think I told anyone it was just a self revelation that made me so much more happy than the number on the scale even.

Congrats,
    Angel :)
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!

Not giving in to the emotional 'need' to binge is amazing.
    And it sounds like you handled that well. Great ideas on how to try to get away from the temptation.

The pic in your tracker bar looks like its from near where I live.
  • Promqueen_74932
    Promqueen_74932 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Great job honey! Keep up the awesome work!

Sara :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!