help!? eating 1200/day but no results!

Options

Replies

• Laurakbg
    Laurakbg Posts: 66
    Options
    Can you open up your diary? Often the diary holds the key!
  • Teirza
    Teirza Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to your dr? Have you had bloodwork run? I am of the opinion that thyroid screening should be a regular test for all women. I would suggest if you truly are being very strict with your diet and exercise and seeing no results that perhaps it's time to speak to your dr about what could be preventing loss.
  • ItsPheebs
    ItsPheebs Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    check your BMR #s and dont eat lower than that...some might even suggest eating b/w BMR and TDEE...here is a website calculator to help you figure it out

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Please don't listen to this kind of advice. There's a popular misconception that if you eat less than some magic number of calories your body will somehow stop burning any, causing your weight to stay the same. It's silly and incorrect. Your body will not go in to "starvation mode" (i.e., burning your muscles f or energy) until it has used up your fat stores first. When you eat less, your metabolism will decrease somewhat but if you are eating 1200 calories per day that should still be a plenty large enough calorie deficit to lose weight.

Here is a good link: http://fitnessblackbook.com/main/starvation-mode-why-you-probably-never-need-to-worry-about-it/

Actually, it's not a misconception at all, and you will burn muscle. 1200 is a random number and it doesn't have anything to do with your actual body. I have never, ever, eaten that low for any length of time. When I do, I don't lose weight. Every one is different, and starvation mode is a real thing. You have to take into account what your activity level is and how your body best responds. Your BMR ... what you need just to breathe and not even get out of bed ... is most likely around 1200 (maybe higher). If you're eating that and you are working out, you're putting your body in starvation mode. Check out the group Eat More To Weigh Less.
  • lizzieliladunst
    Options
    i'm having the same exact problem.

i'm 5'7", 147 pounds, i eat the right amount of calories (eating back calories and all) and i work out over 12 hours a week.

however, i've been doing this for three weeks and haven't seen the scale budge.

anyone know what could be up with that?

or any advice? no one has really helped with this, so i'm in it blind and any help would be nice.
  • Teirza
    Teirza Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    check your BMR #s and dont eat lower than that...some might even suggest eating b/w BMR and TDEE...here is a website calculator to help you figure it out

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Please don't listen to this kind of advice. There's a popular misconception that if you eat less than some magic number of calories your body will somehow stop burning any, causing your weight to stay the same. It's silly and incorrect. Your body will not go in to "starvation mode" (i.e., burning your muscles f or energy) until it has used up your fat stores first. When you eat less, your metabolism will decrease somewhat but if you are eating 1200 calories per day that should still be a plenty large enough calorie deficit to lose weight.

Here is a good link: http://fitnessblackbook.com/main/starvation-mode-why-you-probably-never-need-to-worry-about-it/

Actually, it's not a misconception at all, and you will burn muscle. 1200 is a random number and it doesn't have anything to do with your actual body. I have never, ever, eaten that low for any length of time. When I do, I don't lose weight. Every one is different, and starvation mode is a real thing. You have to take into account what your activity level is and how your body best responds. Your BMR ... what you need just to breathe and not even get out of bed ... is most likely around 1200 (maybe higher). If you're eating that and you are working out, you're putting your body in starvation mode. Check out the group Eat More To Weigh Less.

I ate about 800 calories a day for about 10 months. During that time I worked out 4-5 days a week for no less than an hour but usually 2 hours at a time. I lost 8 pounds in the first month. I lost 0 pounds after that. Not a single one. And as soon as I stopped that I gained the 8 back plus more because I didn't have any idea of how to eat right.
  • TRISTAR
    TRISTAR Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Same here. I'm on day 25 and would have expected to have lost, but no.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    lizzie- You're at a healthy BMI now so it's going to take meticulous counting and patience. If you're new to your exercise level or intensity, ditch the scale. It's not telling you what's going on.

Starvation mode is a myth and "don't eat below your BMR" is something you will not see ever from any authority.
  • lkpta
    lkpta Posts: 6
    Options
    To the three ladies who are struggling...try bumping up your calories by 100 to 200 and also bump up the intensity of your exercise. This back and forth about the BMR is silly, but yes, it definitely does exist as does "starvation mode". When this happens to your body, you WILL still lose weight (I mean, look at anorexics...they don't eat hardly at all and they lose weight obviously) but it will be VERY slow and not the good, healthy weight loss you are looking for. And yes, your body will burn muscle and fat simultaneously (not all muscle and not all fat, some of both) if you very strictly cut your calories without doing strength training. Muscles is what I spent two years studying, I know all about building them and how they break down. It's what I do for a living every day and they pay me good money to know what I'm talking about. :) If the thought of eating 1300-1400 calories terrifies you since you are use to eating 1200, eat wholesome foods like veggies and fruit as your extra snacks or extra serving at your meal. That way you know you are adding nutrition to your diet not just calories. Also, if you start hitting the weights hard, add a protein shake as a snack. Jillian Michaels makes a protein powder that is just 100 calories for 1 scoop and has around 15 grams of protein. That is an appropriate amout for a female who is lifting for exercise/muscle maintenance and not to build bulk.
  • LouisaMoo
    LouisaMoo Posts: 11
    Options
    I don't understand how people can think that the BMR is a myth. Obviously your body needs energy to just exist! Your heart has to beat, your lungs have to inflate and deflate, you think and move even if you're not exercising, and that needs fuel. You wouldn't try to run a car with an empty gas tank.

No website can calculate your personal fuel requirements, but you can work it out for yourself using sites like this as a guideline. Try eating a bit more for a couple of weeks (like 100 or 200 calories more each day) and see what happens. The worst that can happen is that you might gain a pound. If that happens, go back down again. There's no point following a rule that isn't working.
  • amnski
    amnski Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    To the OP - try changing up your exercise routine, amount you eat, and the foods you eat. What you eat makes a huge difference, especially how much and what kinds. Are you measuring or estimating? If you are measuring and eating so little, try upping your calories with more nutritionally dense food. If you are estimating and not logging everything, you may be eating more than you think. Exercise can help change things up, add strength training and cardio can be a girl's best friend.

Other posters gave great BMR links...

i'm having the same exact problem.

i'm 5'7", 147 pounds, i eat the right amount of calories (eating back calories and all) and i work out over 12 hours a week.

however, i've been doing this for three weeks and haven't seen the scale budge.

anyone know what could be up with that?

or any advice? no one has really helped with this, so i'm in it blind and any help would be nice.

This....over-training is my first thought. I have no idea what exercises you are doing, but it seems that 12 hours a week is a bit much. What does your plan look like? How are you tracking calories burned and what type of foods are you eating (and how much?)
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Please open your diary, and make sure you are logging everything correctly.

Provide more details on how long you have been maintaining your diet, etc. The more info the better.

Three weeks is not a lot of time, and weight fluctuates. Try to avoid looking at the scale more than once per week. Take good measurements of yourself now, as well, as they are a better indicator of loss in my opinion. I had weeks were my weight stayed the same but I had to tighten my belt....

Avoid pop suggestions that are based on little or no scientific research. You're definitely not in starvation mode, so long as the few details you have provided are correct.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Can you open up your diary? Often the diary holds the key!

This ^^^. Folks can really help you then. Also always drink at least the 8 cups of water. Walk all you can. Walking is what did it for me.
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    DEFINITELY eat your BMR, plus more if you're working out! I never believed anyone on that, but I'm in recovery for an eating disorder and have slowly been increasing my calories from 800/day-1600/day. I haven't lost weight, but my goals are to reduce body fat and increase muscle mass. I have maintained my size nicely, and my muscle definition is much more pronounced.
  • MrsODriscoll
    MrsODriscoll Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat - am 5'1 and 159lbs. I have steadily gained weight over the past six months and no matter what I do I can't seem to shift it again. When I eat 1200, I stay the same or gain. When I eat more, I gain. I never seem to lose no matter what I do! Very frustrating!!
  • jfwarman
    jfwarman Posts: 6
    Options
    Open up your diary... You might be getting your calories the wrong way?!

I'm not really allowed to exercise so I can do 30 mins walking a day, all of my weight loss is from pure, calorie controlled diet, no treats and no alcohol... I read about a lot of people stating this and that and then you look at what they are eating and their calories are coming from fat and not protein and good carbs.

For all those in starvation mode on 800 calories good luck with losing any weight for a prolonged period... It will all go straight back on after you stop starving yourself.. You need calories to burn calories... Be patient and it will work...
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I've now lost around 45 pounds in 4 months. It was actually quite easy (sorry). It didn't involve anything complex, or any detailed calculations, and it certainly didn't involve eating *more*.... I simply changed my diet. I ate three good meals a day, and avoided snacking. I exercised. After I joined MFP, I met my daily calorie goals religiously. And that was that.

If you are logging your calories correctly (this is critical, no cheating and be thorough!) and meeting your daily goals, based on the MFP calculation, you will lose weight. Exercising will help a lot, too, and be sure to eat back those calories. But be forewarned that MFP seems to overestimate the calories you are losing from exercise, so be a bit conservative on how you log this.

Most of all, be patient and stay the course.
  • mcarter99
    Options
    I don't understand how people can think that the BMR is a myth. Obviously your body needs energy to just exist! Your heart has to beat, your lungs have to inflate and deflate, you think and move even if you're not exercising, and that needs fuel. You wouldn't try to run a car with an empty gas tank.

No website can calculate your personal fuel requirements, but you can work it out for yourself using sites like this as a guideline. Try eating a bit more for a couple of weeks (like 100 or 200 calories more each day) and see what happens. The worst that can happen is that you might gain a pound. If that happens, go back down again. There's no point following a rule that isn't working.

No one's saying BMR is a myth. We're saying that 'overweight people need to eat above their BMR number' is a myth. Think about it. Research it. Our bodies don't have a timer on calories. They don't have to use today's food for today's lung activity. Our 'gas tank' is our entire store of body fat. If accessing that to fuel our bodies is dangerous, that means weight loss is dangerous.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

No one's saying BMR is a myth. We're saying that 'overweight people need to eat above their BMR number' is a myth. Think about it. Research it. Our bodies don't have a timer on calories. They don't have to use today's food for today's lung activity. Our 'gas tank' is our entire store of body fat. If accessing that to fuel our bodies is dangerous, that means weight loss is dangerous.

I think some of the previous posters did say it "is a myth", literally.
  • mcarter99
    Options

I think some of the previous posters did say it "is a myth", literally.

I can't find anyone saying that BMR is a myth. Can you point it out?
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Don't know if anyone has said it yet but I plugged your details into the BMR calculator on here and got....

Your estimated BMR is: 1,429 calories/day*

*BMR based on the Mifflin - St. Jeor equations. Please remember that even the best BMR calculators provide only a best guess and should be used as a guide only.

That was using...
    Female
    160lbs
    24 years old
    5ft 2 inches

So...why are you eating 1200? *confused*