How can I strengthen my ankles???

Options
I do allot of walking for my exercise but I'm having pain in my one ankle. What can I do to strengthen it.

Replies

• diabolotry
    diabolotry Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Balancing exercises. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/balance-exercises/SM00049

In the meantime, wear a brace. It will strengthen on its own as you walk and this will help reduce undo strain. Also, if it's hurting, rest it. Take shorter walks more frequently.
  • Seokie
    Seokie Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    You also might need better supportive shoes for walking :)
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    bodyweight lunges, calf raises, maybe jump roping?
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Try kt tape pro.
  • abetterjune
    abetterjune Posts: 219
    Options

I'd caution you on doing any jumping or lunges as that can cause more strain if you're dealing with an injury. see a doctor or chiropractor asap. I say that because it's only one ankle, not both, so I think it's unlikely to be a strength issue. You might have stress fractures or a sprain?

Like someone above said: wear a brace. Also balancing exercises. :)
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Sooo many things...
    - Sit, and pretend you are making letters of the alphabet with your foot, do the whole alphabet with each foot, and work up to many times each day.
    - Stand on one foot, when you get good at it, close your eyes. Hold it for as long as you can. This is an amazing ankle/foot exercise.
    - Run down a field, kind of moving left, right, left, right as you run. (pretend there are 2 parallel lines running straight in front of you about 2' apart, and you have to land your feet outside the lines.
    - Any kind of barefoot running / strides / plyometrics
    - Running in sand, or on trails.
    Good luck!
  • danabromley
    danabromley Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the information, it'll all come in handy. Once again thank thank you all.:smile:
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options

I'd caution you on doing any jumping or lunges as that can cause more strain if you're dealing with an injury. see a doctor or chiropractor asap. I say that because it's only one ankle, not both, so I think it's unlikely to be a strength issue. You might have stress fractures or a sprain?

Like someone above said: wear a brace. Also balancing exercises. :)

I must of blanked out the part you said you have pain. I agree with what she said ^ pain and jumping probably won't get along to well. talk to a doc if the pain does not subside or keeps reoccurring