Body getting used to the same exercise?

Options
Hi!
I have been doing the same workout for about a month now, I usually do 30 - 60 minutes on my exercise bike. If I only do 30 minutes on the bike, then I walk 30 minutes. I try one way or another to get 60 minutes of exercise in a day.
I am staying under my calories, but for the past couple of days the scale is going up.
Can it be that my body is used to that exercise and that is why the scale is going up?

Thanks!

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    You can become more efficient at a particular activity as you become conditioned, but I doubt it has anything to do with what you are seeing on the scale.
  • BarbBlue
    BarbBlue Posts: 251
    Options
    Thanks, that is true because I noticed I can use my bike for longer periods of times and can go up a level.
  • diabolotry
    diabolotry Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you're staying under your calories? Do you weigh your food, log in EVERYTHING? Are you following any particular diet program? What are your numbers (cals/carbs/fats/protein)?

And... the biggie: Are you eating your exercise calories? If so, you might want to ask yourself if you're burning as many calories as you think you are.

If you're 100% on your diet and nutrition, then go see your doctor. There might be something else going on that you're not aware of.
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    but for the past couple of days the scale is going up.
    Can it be that my body is used to that exercise and that is why the scale is going up?

Thanks!

3500 caloires is about = to 1 pound. So if the last couple of days you have eaten that much more then maybe.

probably water weight, or your scale not being perfectly accurate.

you will become conditioned to the same thing. increase the resistance periodically, maybe do intervals where you go really fast for a time then slow down and repeat
  • Reignofmongo
    Reignofmongo Posts: 137
    Options
    Muscles have this funny lil thing called muscle memory... It can be a pain because it can be so inconvenient, It is for me. It's best to switch up your workout, There's a reason there are so many different cardio machines and ways to work each muscle group. Mix it up and You'll be right back on track. ;) Ever heard of P90X, lol? It's all based upon muscle "confusion." Just like you get complacent doing something for too long, so does your body to a degree.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Muscles have this funny lil thing called muscle memory... It can be a pain because it can be so inconvenient, It is for me. It's best to switch up your workout, There's a reason there are so many different cardio machines and ways to work each muscle group. Mix it up and You'll be right back on track. ;) Ever heard of P90X, lol? It's all based upon muscle "confusion." Just like you get complacent doing something for too long, so does your body to a degree.

ngbbs414b1e5c9c255.gif
  • Dayna5K
    Dayna5K Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Plus muscle weighs more than fat, so maybe this is why you are gainin?. Like the previous post stated, contact your health care provider if the weight gain continues....could be related to something more serious.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Your body will get used to it. This is called getting fitter, stronger, more efficient. Just increase the intensity and/or time.
  • Reignofmongo
    Options

ngbbs414b1e5c9c255.gif

Care to elaborate my friend..
  • jppd47
    Options
    muscle confusion is a marketing scheme for them....

to "confuse" your muscles is a simple as adding another pound to your lift. your muscles/bones will now adapt to the new pound. If you keep the same weight your muscles have no need to adapt so they stay the same, if you increase rep's then they don't need to get stronger, they will just develop more oxidative enzymes (and/or more mitochondria in type 1 muscles) for endurance.
    SAID principle
  • Reignofmongo
    Options
    muscle confusion is a marketing scheme for them....

to "confuse" your muscles is a simple as adding another pound to your lift. your muscles/bones will now adapt to the new pound. If you keep the same weight your muscles have no need to adapt so they stay the same, if you increase rep's then they don't need to get stronger, they will just develop more oxidative enzymes (and/or more mitochondria in type 1 muscles) for endurance.
    SAID principle

Yes, I do agree with you here. But at the same time I believe it's beneficial to switch motions up as well. Hits the muscle fibers differently. For example, doing barbell bench one week and then switching to dumbbell bench will allow your muscles to build more efficiently. But to each their own, I'm not trying to force my ideals on anyone, just giving my perspective.
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Ever heard of P90X, lol? It's all based upon muscle "confusion."

b47u3m.jpg
  • GaidenJade
    GaidenJade Posts: 171
    Options

b47u3m.jpg

Wow. Hysterical :yawn:

Changing it up is proven to work. What they call it doesn't matter.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

b47u3m.jpg

Excellent! I'm glad I looked at the details first.........:wink:
  • jppd47
    Options

Yes, I do agree with you here. But at the same time I believe it's beneficial to switch motions up as well. Hits the muscle fibers differently. For example, doing barbell bench one week and then switching to dumbbell bench will allow your muscles to build more efficiently. But to each their own, I'm not trying to force my ideals on anyone, just giving my perspective.

I agree with you.

semantics
  • LizHowerton
    LizHowerton Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Mix it up some, make sure you are drinking half your body weight in ounces of water and give it a little time.

My scale can go up and down three pounds in a week. Could be hormones, salt intake etc.