Anyone have some good "campfood" to suggest ?

Options
I am doing some "beach" camping next week in NC. I'm looking for some new stuff to add to my grocery list. What do you all bring camping?

Replies

• Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    "hot dogs," "cider" to "heat up" at night, granola for in the "morning."
  • blair_bear
    blair_bear Posts: 165
    Options
    Cider is a great idea!
  • theblackbirdtree
    Options
    I can't wait to nom on some banana boats on my next camping trip!

http://thewhitedish.wordpress.com/2012/02/20/the-pioneer-womans-camp-fire-banana-boats-made-healthy-yummy-and-you-kids-will-love-it-too/

P.S. I hear they're better than s'mores!
  • cm7571
    cm7571 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    We have eaten chicken, pork chops, corn on the cob, and squash and zuchini on the grill. Premade pork bbq and spaghetti and just warm up on the grill or microwave.
  • Heidi64
    Heidi64 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Boyscout hamburgers are always a fave and hobo pizzas!
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Pudgie pies!!

Snakes on a stick......crescent rolls wrapped around a hot dog poker or stick brushed with melted butter and cinnamon...over fire.

Omelet in a bag....
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    oats, pb, eggs (for hard-boiling), sweet potatoes (just wrap in foil and toss in the fire), sausages, crusty bread, cheese. beer, whiskey.
  • schpanks
    schpanks Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    My wife can't live without her steak. I usually have grapes and bananas for quick snacks. I like to wrap potatoes in foil and cook them in the embers of the fire, but it is a time commitment.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    fat free hotdogs......4 are the same calories as one regular most brands
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend always talks about the hobo dinners they would make when he was out backpacks. Ground beef, potatoes, onion, and carrots I think, wrapped in foil and cooked in the flame. I'm sure you can google search it for more specifics.

I've personally been dying to try campfire cones though. Waffle cones fill with chocolate chips, dried fruit, nuts, butterscotch pieces, etc, wrapped in foil and cooked over the flames. YUM.
  • Reignofmongo
    Reignofmongo Posts: 137
    Options
    I'm seeing a lot of great suggestions... My personal opinion, give yourself a cheat day, and enjoy your camping. ;) A cheat day can revitalize the metabolism, help jump start it. :)
  • deb6463
    deb6463 Posts: 2
    Options
    what is hobo pizza?
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    It's not healthy but I've had some good philly cheesesteaks while camping. Depending on what you do, you may burn it off anyhow.

If I'm trying to be a little healthy I'll take raw veggies to snack on (aside from the burgers, hot dogs, or whatever substantial that you are taking)
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of soup. There's usually some in the big yogurt containers in the freezer. If we're car camping, I make sure to bring some of those as they act as ice cooling down everything else and you can eat them after heating over the camp fire.

The rest of my possible suggestions are related to the camping we do, which is very aware of the possibility of bears. I'd never go through hiking with meat. Ground beef needs refrigeration and ice is heavy. Beef jerky smells so yummy to me and to bears. And yeah, there's bear poles and stuff, but still, no need to tempt fate. Actually, hubs just came back in the room and told a story of his dad's about a bear coming through camp and tearing up the place, including the tent because someone left an unrinsed empty can of beans on the ground. [as a side note, the father is going to go to Alaska to fish for salmon. His last time there they saw LOTS of grizzlies. Believe me, they will be surgical in their precision about keeping the smell of food far from their tents.] If we're car camping, maybe there's canned chicken that gets added to one of those packets of noodles and sauce along with some broccoli (my hubs' favorite thing), but that stuff gets eaten the first night and thrown away in the bear proof dumpster over there by the shower building, not left in a bag at the campsite.

The rest of the food is light. I have a bunch of food I dehydrated and assembled sitting in a backpack across from me right now for a canoe trip we're taking. Lots of cooked then dried noodles, beans, vegetables, spaghetti sauce, salsa, etc. We'll have big greasy burgers and milkshakes and pie when we come out of the woods having eaten that for 5 days. I made some "marathon cookies" for snacks and we're bringing several cliff bars and GORP (Good Ol' Raisins and Peanuts with pretzels and m&m's for us).

Doesn't sound like there's bears where you're going, and you'll be near your car, and you have ice chests. Totally bring the food you love to eat. Especially the stuff you can grill. Hot dogs on a fork over the fire all unevenly cooked are the best things ever. Bring some hot chocolate mix. Best stuff is the homemade kind that you make with nonfat dry milk, non-dairy creamer, cocoa and powdered sugar. Google it. Its SOOOO good. And you can add it to oatmeal along with peanut butter on a chilly morning in camp and sit and listen to the birds and stare at the mist and wait for everyone else to wake up. Its the best.

I hope you have a great time!
  • Heidi64
    Heidi64 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    what is hobo pizza?

Same concept as hobo pies. You take those cast iron bread shaped things (aka "hobo pie makers) they sell in sporting goods stores in the camping section, open it up, butter one side of bread, place so that buttered side is down on the cast iron, slather on pizza sauce and all your favorite pizza ingredients, place another buttered piece of bread over that (butter side out), close the "hobo pie maker" and toast over coals. Can be used to make french toast or just regular toast as well.
  • lengirl75
    lengirl75 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    bump