Low Calorie High Protein Bars

riascott
riascott Posts: 17 Member
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can tell me the best protein bars as far as calories/protein ratio.

I really like the PHD diet bars - Ive only tried the Cookie Dough ones and they are 180 calories with 20g of Protein. For a lower calorie snack the Bio Synergy Skinny bars are also ok. They are around 90 calories for 8g of protein (approx - I cant remember)

Does anyone know any other protein bars which are relatively low calorie but a big protein hit?

Id prefer bars to shakes as I often have them to snack on while I am out and about or at work and making up a shake at 3pm is not always easy.

Many thanks

Ria

Replies

• janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    I'm interested to hear peoples suggestions, especially if it's a product I can buy here in the UK.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    I haven't seen any that aren't chock full o' sugar. If anyone knows of some good ones please let us know
  • Quest bars are great. They actually don't taste like card board.
    When you look at the carbs, don't freak out. You have to take the fiber grams away from the carbs. For instance most of them have about 24 carbs and 17 fiber which gives you 7 net carbs. High protein value and low fat.
    Best I've found.
    Also look at Ostrim beef and ostrich jerkey. High protein and low fat snacks. Also very good in my opinion.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Pure Protein.
  • wahchile
    wahchile Posts: 19
    I'd second the quest bars. They are the real deal. Very few ingredients compared to most other protein bars.
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    ~ Detour has a low sugar bar ... pretty darn good if I say so myself ! 15 g Protein at 180 cals. But I regularly choose the " Premier " bar that gives me 30 grams of Protein at 280 cals.

Those calories are worth that protein ... at least for me they are !
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    #1 in terms of nutritional value

QUEST Bars

Pure Protein Meal Replacement Bars
  • i know this was already said...but QUEST bars so just AMAZINGLY awesome and delish! i talk about them allll the time to my friends (= once you buy them, microwave for 8 seconds, like the fudge brownie bar...or cinnamon roll..you are in for a very awesome treat
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Maybe you could look into some homemade protein bars if you don't like shakes? :) That way you can control what goes into them. I've seen a couple of recipes here on MFP, including no bake ones! :D
  • sarafer1
    sarafer1 Posts: 27 Member
    The best I've found are the Pure Protein bars. They do have sugar alchohol's in them and I can taste that in certain flavors, but really, really like them othewise. 20 grams of protein and I think around 180-200 cals per full size bar.
  • texastango
    texastango Posts: 309
    QUEST BARS _ But...just realize they are great for dieting...but have lots and lots of fiber.....not something you want "PRE" 2 hours before - workout......but several of the bars are really good...some especially so when you put them in the microwave for 13 seconds (Chocolate Brownie bar, Cinnimon Roll, Apple Pie) to name a few. Strawberry Cheesecake and Cocconut Almond I eat right out of the wrapper. Just FYI: They average 160-170 cals with Protein 20 grams and Fiber 17 to 19 grams and 2 to 6 net carbs. They use Stevia, or sucralose, or sugar alcohol depending on the bar.

iphone008.jpg

iphone009.jpg

8443442.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    The Kroger here has the Pure Protein bars 10 for 10 all the time. It's a no-brainer for me.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Awesome Quest or Pure Protein I will try and hunt these down today.
  • kfitzpa
    kfitzpa Posts: 326
    I recently discovered Muscle Milk Light Bars. They're around 170 calories a bar I think with 15g of protein. They're super filling and really good :)
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    bumping for later.....

The only one I've tried so far is the Snackwell's peanut butter...140 calories, 5g fat, 8g protein, 17g of carb and they use 6 of sugar and 3g of sugar alcohol.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    I'm interested to hear peoples suggestions, especially if it's a product I can buy here in the UK.

Funily enough I was just doing a spreadsheet on protein/calories for my favourite bars. I won't bother trying to paste it all but here is a selection. Fist number is calories per bar, 2nd is protein, third is calories per gram of protein. The Maximuscle Promax meal bar was best

Maximuscle - Promax Meal Bar - Dark Chocolate (S), 60 g
    208 22 9

Powerbar Proteinplus - Protein Bar Chocolate 55g, 1 bar 55g
    189 17 11

Powerbar Protein Plus - Vanilla-Coconut Flavour, 55 g
    190 17 11

Multipower Body - Strawberry-Yoghurt L-Carnitine Bar, 35 g
    113 9 13

Weider - 32% Protein Bar - Banana - 60g, 1 Barr
    239 19 13

Biggest Loser - Choc Mint Fudge Flavour Meal Replacement Bar
    206 16 13

Multipower Muscle - Banana Protein Bar, 42 grams
    165 11 15

Slimfast 321 Plan - Meal Bar Chocolate Peanut, 60 g
    210 13 16

I'm from UK by the way and you can get these at GNC, Tesco, Asda
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    I love the think thin bars and cliff bars
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    QUEST QUEST QUEST QUEST.

Coconut Cashew. Srsly.

They're also like 2-6g active carbs only, if you care about that.
  • I really like Luna Protein Bars....gluten free (a plus for me!) , around 170-180 calories, and 12g of protein. They are have a healthy dose of Iron, which I like since I am anemic!
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    The Simply bar if you can find it. It's Canadian.
    Barely has any sugar in it at all. They have a soy variety and a Whey one. I love it but too pricy for me.
    FYI do not confuse it with Simple. It is called The Simply Bar (with a Y at the end). I make a point because they look a lot alike but their nutrition is nothing alike!!!