how do i get back ?

Options
Hi Everyone,

I am scared to go back to working out. Everyday I miss working out but it has been 5 months since I had a hard core work out session. I used to work out 1.5 hour a day 3-4 days a week and now I've got nothing. I simply am scared to see how much of a out of shape I am. I notice I am hiding from the mirrors too. I've gained 7 pounds last 5 months and I am trying to put my act together.

How do you get yourself motivated or get yourself out of this denial.

I don't want to discourage myself either. I am not sure if I can handle 1.5 hours a day for 3 days a week at the moment.

What baby steps would you recommend to get into shape again. Is 5 months too long not to work out ?

I stopped end of june because I had my wedding in September and the stress took over. It's mid November...

Please advice.

Thank you for your time in advance.

cheers

Replies

• kksam
    kksam Posts: 38
    Options
    put one foot in front of the other and get started. I too, had been away for quite awhile, but meet a friend and we decided to help each other out. We make sure we get 4/5 days in a week at the local center. See if you can find someone to join you......otherwise just start yourself. You may meet some one to work with you there. Just don't expect to start at the level you left. Work up to it. Good luck
    Karen
  • Cynder
    Cynder Posts: 79
    Options
    Just start with 20 minutes a day, and work up as you can.

There is no way I can see myself doing 90 minutes a day without going :explode:
  • melisay
    melisay Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the support guys.. All of the above it gets to me and I feel like a failure. I will start tonight or tomorrow morning 20 min a day.

Cheered me up already.

Thank you !
  • gwainwright
    gwainwright Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi,

make sure you just do small amounts of cardio and gradually build up. Start with a goal of say 2-3 mins on machnies you enjoy, and build up as you go on. Remember to stretch loads too, so you don't ache in the morning and hot baths in the evening if you think you are going to ache!

Good luck
  • brwnsgr
    Options
    Melisay, you are not alone in this, I'm going through the same thing you are going through. I had lost the weight and is well on my way to gaining it back. I don't want to, but I'm just not as motivated as I was. I really need the support, someone to hold me accountable, because I can't do it on my own.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Like everyone says, we've all been there--for me, more times than I can count. Because I have experienced a number of injuries and, over 30+ years, have experienced innumerable life events that have disrupted my routine, I have learned not to be too discouraged about longer layoffs.

I will only add that, although you will not be able to go back to what you were doing before, just getting back and doing something again feels SO good, it has a huge positive impact.
  • weaverc
    weaverc Posts: 158
    Options
    Start slow and work your way up to where you want/need to be. I constantly have to remind myself that I am still building and am not going to be able to run a mile overnight.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Put a song on that gets your excited and happy!
    Put those workout clothes on!
    Tie those sneakers!

Just GET UP AND GO!

Tell yourself you'll do a 10 minute workout. After 10 minutes, I'm sure you'll feel like staying. The hardest part is just getting there!

Interval training will be your best friend! Go a steady pace for 3-5 minutes and then a fast pace for 1-2 minutes.

YOU CAN DO IT! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: