Need some Support :(

Options
amunet07
amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
I've been weighing myself every morning when my cat wakes me up about 4:30am. This morning she woke me up at 3:30 am, when I weighed myself it said I had gained a pound. Am feeling frustrated and my parents will be coming into town for the next two days and we will be atttending a community festival. I am worried that I will gain the 3 lbs I had lost back.

Replies

• BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Do NOT weigh every day! Once a week is enough to know if you're on track or not. Daily, even hourly fluctuations of weight are not unusual and will drive you crazy.
  • itsafrappe
    itsafrappe Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    first of all i would suggest that you only weigh once a week. your body naturally fluctuates from day to day just from water weight. no reason to be down on yourself for that one lb. weigh yourself one week from today. this gives you some time to see the results you are working for
  • angelpie36426
    angelpie36426 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Only weigh yourself once a week. If you stay under your calorie goal and exercise most days you should be fine. Don't worry! An occasional treat is good.
  • polly_lops
    polly_lops Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Although I am a daily-weigher so totally see the appeal, it's not always the most motivating thing to do because your weight fluctuates. If I were you, I'd try and cut that back to every other day at first and then keep spacing it out. Is there a reason you get up so early? Are you getting enough sleep? I've read somewhere that not getting enough sleep doesn't help weight loss at all.

How long are your parents in town for? I would say, just try and make healthy choices and if you gain a bit, it'll soon come off again. It's all about the long term - yes you may gain a pound or two for a couple of days (but if you're not weighing everyday then you won't realise) but if you keep making healthy choices and exercising, you will lose weight.

Hope that helps a bit :smile:
  • Grimlock69
    Grimlock69 Posts: 197
    Options
    Community festival? Sounds interesting. My advice is to workout hard and eat very reasonable. You don't have to go overboard. Feel free to add me if you like.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    This is a crucial place in your journey.
    Most people don't make it past that initial phase, and of the few that do, most of those lose heart and quit.
    Maybe you will gain the 3 pounds. Maybe not.
    Right now you have a choice. At the end of the day success is always our choice.
    Go have a fabulous time with your folks.
    Bring your own snacks, and wear walking shoes. Enjoy yourself and your folks as well as the other people around.
    And do not eat junk food:flowerforyou:
    Stick with all the MFP recommendations, and no matter what happens, just keep punching; never quit.
    It's your choice. Good luck to you.
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    First, as others have said, stop weighing every day. Particularly for women, weight can fluctuate between 1 & 2 pounds (more for some folks) just based on hydration (aka "water retention"). You can't track weight loss on a daily basis because there's too much error in the measurement. The most often you should weigh yourself is once weekly.

Second, why does this visit (and the three pounds) matter so much? The goal is a happier, healthier, thinner you. It's hard sometimes to keep your eyes on the really meaningful prize, but if you can, it helps.

Your food diary shows a lot of processed foods. These are usually high in salt which impacts weight loss - and water retention. Given the amount of sodium you're consuming that's probably your weight fluctuation right there. Recommend adding vegetables (fresh, not canned) - salads are easy to put together. And particularly given the amount of salt that's in your diet, drink alot of water to flush it out.
  • Nikoah
    Nikoah Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My suggestion for the festival - make a plan. Either work to continue to loose, allow yourself to stay the same, or plan to gain a pound back. This early on I would try to not gain, but not be upset if I did not loose this week. Take healthy snacks with you if you can. Choose what you REALLY want to eat before you go, and walk a lot, stand when you can. Standing and talking burns way more calories than sitting. Don't let yourself feel deprived or you will binge later. Also, sometimes if your body is in a starvation state eating over your planned calorie amounts can actually help your body release fat it is holding if it thinks you cannot get food, not that you are choosing not to eat as much. But don't go way overboard.

Add me as a friend if you need any more support. I will encourage, and be honest with you if you try to lie to yourself. I know I need that sometimes, I am lucky to have a husband who does.

Nikoah
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Take the scale and bring it up to the highest point in your house or if your in an apartment bring it up to the roof. Then toss the ****er out the window! Get off the scale!

Concentrate on inches...you have become obsessed with the scale and this will hurt you!

Marcello
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Weigh once a week! I used to do the same thing, now I am down to one to two weigh ins a week. I do it after I wake up and go to the toilet.. plus I weigh in in only a shirt and underwear. Don't be discouraged! You are doing great.
  • spoonful
    spoonful Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    You'll drive yourself crazy if you weigh yourself every day. Your weight fluctuates a lot. I try to not weigh myself more than every two weeks.
  • amunet07
    Options
    Thanks all. :)

The festival is called Bite of Bend (my town is called Bend) part of this festival and why my dad is coming to town is that he signed me up for The Beer Run, a 5k that we will walk but there is beer at the water stations and we are given a growler to fill and a coupon for after.

The sleep thing might be a factor. That is when my cat wakes me up for her medical diet canned cat food and I have trouble going back to sleep after.

Unfortunately, I forgot to take my measurements prior to starting this diet.

Am doing the South Beach Diet in Phase I
  • amunet07
    Options
    I did go back and compare yesterday's body fat & water recording to todays... my body fat went down but my water went up.
  • RES2333
    RES2333 Posts: 36
    Options
    I understand the rationale behind weighing once a week, as opposed to daily due to the fluctuations you will see due to water weight. However I do weigh in every day at the same time (upon waking up) and log it down. While I can see if fluctuate day to day, I know the range that is reasonable for my body and over time it gives me a way to see trends. If I did it once a week I feel I am just getting a snapshot and may not see any upward trend that I need to correct.

To each their own, whatever works the best. But I wouldn't get too hung up on a fluctuation from one day to the next. It is a trend in the wrong direction that you should worry about and when you see that, adjust accordingly be it via modifiying diet, exercise or both.

As for the festival...go enjoy it. Isn't like you are going to become a gypsy and follow carnivals or festivals around the country are you? Enjoy it and get back to your game plan.