Bicycle purchase help!

Options
Lupiemomma30
Lupiemomma30 Posts: 140 Member
I really want to purchase a bicycle. For years I have used mountain bikes because I wasn't aware of all of the types out there. Right now, I'm trying to figure out if I should get a cyclo-cross bike or a road bike. Also, I would like to attach a trailer to it to bring my daughter along.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with either of these? Please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• JamesThiel
    JamesThiel Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I went to a loal bike shop and the sales guy said they are the bike of the future, ....but pretty expensive......ugh minimally $800+ new
  • Lupiemomma30
    Lupiemomma30 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I went to a loal bike shop and the sales guy said they are the bike of the future, ....but pretty expensive......ugh minimally $800+ new

What kind of bike is that in your profile pic?
  • JamesThiel
    JamesThiel Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Mine is a Specialized city /path bike...around $200.00
  • F__7
    F__7 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    A light weight bike somewhat on the high price and used would be my recommendation. I had one carbon fiber TREK mountain bike... loved it.. makes a HUUUUGE difference to enjoy the ride.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Road bikes are great for just around town, and you won't need gears if its relatively flat. A little on the pricey side, but they go so much faster than other bikes. Of course, I'm a college student always running late for class so that's probably more important to me than most people. Otherwise, just look for something relatively light. I had a hybrid for a while that worked decently on both trails and roads, but was too heavy to go at a speed I wanted and to put in the car and stuff. You can find them on craigslist, especially near colleges, for a decent price. Also, if you're looking into locks, U-locks are much more secure than cable locks.

Oh, and stay away from Walmart. My roomie bought two bikes from there-both broke.
  • H8T3D
    H8T3D Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have a Felt Dispatch Single speed..
    http://2009.feltracing.com/09-catalog/urban-alternative/fixie-series/09-dispatch.aspx

I bike at lest 16 miles or so 3 times a week...