Insanity Question

Options
I have a question for those of you that have used the Insanity Program. Please do not flame me too much for this but I notice that most of the users and infommercial testimonials are people theirr 20's to early 30s and down to the last 20-30 lbs. I used to be pretty athletic until life, injuries etc packed on the pounds. Would you recommend it to a female who is in her mid 40's with 70 lbs to loose? Keep in mind I was 60 lbs heavier when I started Karate a few years ago and it kicked my *kitten* but this one looks amazingly tough! I didnt see any testimonials of women in their "seasoned" years or with over 40lbs to lose..which makes me wonder if its the best one to use now or when I get more of this comfort fat off of me! Please keep in mind I am not trying to be sexist or ageist. Just noticing after a couple weeks on here the amazing results of many but most in their 20-30's. Would like some perspective from the older set that now have to deal with hormones and an obnoxiously slow, hard to jump start metabolism!

Replies

• siliisobel
    siliisobel Posts: 49
    Options
    Hi there, granted I am in my thirties (33) and im on week 3 of insanity. This may not give you the end results you want by the end of the program ie, ripped and as fit as all the people in the video, but this is gonna kick your *kitten* and burn some serious calories. Its as good as any other fitness program and im sure will give you some pretty amazing results no matter what your size and fitness level at the moment. Im only at the beginning of week 3 and im seeing results in my cardio fitness and muscle tone. Go for it, you will not regret it. Im here for support if you need it! Good Luck!
  • robinskv
    robinskv Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am in my late 30s with about 50 to lose and I loved it. Having said that, I had to quit because it really did a number on my knees. It is pretty hig impact and even getting new shoes, a mat to jump around on, ice, ibuprofin, etc. didn't help in the end. I would lose weight first and then go at it.
  • karaks
    karaks Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I will be turning 41 in a few weeks and am in my 7th week of Insanity. I'm 5'8" and have about 40 lbs to lose. I absolutely love Insanity. LOVE. It is by far the hardest, most challenging workout I have ever done, but I am totally addicted to it. In fact, I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do when I finish this round because other DVDs I have that were hard before just seem too easy now.

I should say that I have had 2 knee surgeries and am not allowed to do anything high impact, so I do all of that stuff on a mini trampoline (which is still very challenging) and then move down to the floor for the push ups, etc. It is very, very high impact. But, like any other workout, you can modify. Google or Youtube Insanity and Shaun T. I've seen several videos where he talks about what to do if you need to modify any of the moves.

Anyway, I would recommend it to anyone....as long as you take your time and GO AT YOUR OWN PACE! Do not try to keep up with the people in the video. Each exercise is timed, so I usually look to see what the exercise will be and then don't look back at the tv until Shaun T tells me to stop. That way, I'm going at my own pace and not overdoing it. You might want to invest in a heart rate monitor so you can make sure you aren't overdoing it.

Also, depending on your shape, don't expect too much as far as results regarding the scale. At first, I thought I'd lose tons of weight, but the scale has hardly moved. Luckily, I took all my measurements before I started and that's where I'm seeing results. I've lost 9 inches total so far and I'm down one pants size. I know that might not sound like much, but I'm also seeing and feeling muscles that I never knew I had. I do lift weights now 3 days a week, so I'm sure that has something to do with it, but I was seeing results in my muscles and the way I felt before I started lifting.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Good luck! :)
  • 7nthsign
    7nthsign Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone for the input. I might wait awhile before I start this. Maybe when I get down to the 40lb mark. I have a bum wrist from boxing, and my knees sound like bags of chips walking up and down the steps. Gotta love getting older. So if I do start this program I will keep in mind the modifications recommended. Thank you so much!