An NSV

Options
mdsjmom98
mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
I began this journey back in January, but the motivation behind it was last August 2011. I found myself in the cardiac unit of the hospital, wired, and having to undergo every test possible to make sure I hadn't had a heart attack. I had just turned 45, and at the time was sure I was doomed to walk in my father's footsteps who had his first heart attack at 45. As it turned out it wasn't a heart attack, but it certainly was the wake up call I needed. I swore to my friend while in the cardiac unit that if I "got out alive" I was going to change my lifestyle.
While I started reducing my intake, I never began an exercise routine, then comes the holidays, birthdays, anniversary, blah blah. (more excuses) Then I schedule a doctor appointment in February. While I had lost about 9 lbs from August to February, she then told me another harsh reality: I was borderline diabetic. (yet another fate of my family..) She told me she would give me 4 months to take care of it on my own, or I would get put on medicine. Then my determination kicked in. I began walking a cold day in February, just around the dealership I work at, for 10 minutes, every day, twice a day. The weight started coming off, people started noticing, and I was eating healthier than ever before, cut out caffeine completely, and my endurance was getting built up.
Then comes the magic 4 month mark. I go into the doctor, kinda keeping a low profile, not bragging about the weight loss, having a hard time keeping from blurting out "I'VE LOST 37 LBS!!" She looked at my numbers, smiles, and says "well done" and high fives me!! She still wanted to do the bloodwork, which I did the next day. I got the follow up phone call the next day. I was sure it was bad news since it was a real phone call. The nurse said the doctor instructed her to call me personally because she wanted to say that my results were, and I quote: "AHHHH-maaaazing!!!" She said I dropped my sugar levels almost 40 points, and am no longer in the danger zone. She told the nurse to tell me I was doing a great job, and to keep doing what I was doing.
I got off the phone, almost in tears, because I've dodged not just one, but two bullets in less than 10 months.
Health is something we often take for granted, and when it's threatened, it is amazing how things can turn around.
Thanks for reading friends. Blessings to you all, and best of luck on all of your journeys. We're in this together!!

Replies

• sjschewlakow
    sjschewlakow Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!!!
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    This made me a bit emotional. What an amazing NSV - you should be very proud of yourself!
  • muffinwench
    muffinwench Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Great work!! I had a physical/blood work done in January before I started this journey. I look forward to my next one (whenever that may be?) I hope to have results like yours!!
  • thenotoriousmrspye
    thenotoriousmrspye Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This definitely made me tear up. Congratulations and keep it up! You are AHHH-mmaaazzingg!!!!
  • kimpossible471
    kimpossible471 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    You, my dear, are totally inspiring. Nice job!
  • lil_bear0811
    Options
    You just brought tears to my eyes. Congratulations on a very hard job... very well done! Always remember you are worth every pain staking step!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! Keep it up for a long, healthy and happy life! I wish you well!
  • AEB_WV
    AEB_WV Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Congratualations! Awesome story of taking control of your health : )
  • FiercelyBeautiful
    FiercelyBeautiful Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I began this journey back in January, but the motivation behind it was last August 2011. I found myself in the cardiac unit of the hospital, wired, and having to undergo every test possible to make sure I hadn't had a heart attack. I had just turned 45, and at the time was sure I was doomed to walk in my father's footsteps who had his first heart attack at 45. As it turned out it wasn't a heart attack, but it certainly was the wake up call I needed. I swore to my friend while in the cardiac unit that if I "got out alive" I was going to change my lifestyle.
    While I started reducing my intake, I never began an exercise routine, then comes the holidays, birthdays, anniversary, blah blah. (more excuses) Then I schedule a doctor appointment in February. While I had lost about 9 lbs from August to February, she then told me another harsh reality: I was borderline diabetic. (yet another fate of my family..) She told me she would give me 4 months to take care of it on my own, or I would get put on medicine. Then my determination kicked in. I began walking a cold day in February, just around the dealership I work at, for 10 minutes, every day, twice a day. The weight started coming off, people started noticing, and I was eating healthier than ever before, cut out caffeine completely, and my endurance was getting built up.
    Then comes the magic 4 month mark. I go into the doctor, kinda keeping a low profile, not bragging about the weight loss, having a hard time keeping from blurting out "I'VE LOST 37 LBS!!" She looked at my numbers, smiles, and says "well done" and high fives me!! She still wanted to do the bloodwork, which I did the next day. I got the follow up phone call the next day. I was sure it was bad news since it was a real phone call. The nurse said the doctor instructed her to call me personally because she wanted to say that my results were, and I quote: "AHHHH-maaaazing!!!" She said I dropped my sugar levels almost 40 points, and am no longer in the danger zone. She told the nurse to tell me I was doing a great job, and to keep doing what I was doing.
    I got off the phone, almost in tears, because I've dodged not just one, but two bullets in less than 10 months.
    Health is something we often take for granted, and when it's threatened, it is amazing how things can turn around.
    Thanks for reading friends. Blessings to you all, and best of luck on all of your journeys. We're in this together!!

You should be so proud for taking action that's awesome!!! Good job!!!
  • stephsteph76
    stephsteph76 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    That is GREAT!!! Way to change your life for the long run.
  • loribenfield
    loribenfield Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Some times we need that reality check to get us going. You are an inspiration!
  • Aurora76
    Aurora76 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    What an awesome NSV! I'm sure you and your doctor are doing a happy dance right now. Congrats!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Congratulations that is wonderful!!
  • lorettaasmith
    lorettaasmith Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I teared up over this one (happy tears!)! Way to go! Keep that train a rollin'!
  • Ayirela
    Ayirela Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    That is excellent!!!! I can only imagine how delighted you were to hear that the numbers went down!! Grats!!
  • bookfaery
    bookfaery Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    This is a HUGE reality check that sometimes our journey has nothing to do with fitting into a pair of skinny jeans, looking hot for a high school reunion, or even being able to ride a roller coaster with our kids. It's about getting healthy, turning around diagnoses like borderline diabetes, like high blood pressure and heart disease, like high cholesterol, and extending our lives. Not to mention greatly improving the quality of the lives we live while we are here!

YOU ... are a true inspiration! Congrats and hugs to you, and keep up the good work!

Lisa
  • DGK12
    DGK12 Posts: 117
    Options
    One of the best NSV's ever, thanks for sharing, and congrats on your progress!
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    ".......she then told me another harsh reality: I was borderline diabetic. (yet another fate of my family..) She told me she would give me 4 months to take care of it on my own, or I would get put on medicine. "

Congrats!!!! Fantastic news, definitely a great NSV... I wish my Dr would have given me that head's up warning, as now I'm on Metformin 2x daily.
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone! You're all making me tear up from all the amazing support!! We CAN do this!!!
  • dobberloon
    dobberloon Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Your story is an example of why I read the Success Stories and why they keep me going on my own journey. I am so proud of you! Congratulations!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!