Body Pump Pain

Options
I did Body Pump (60 mins weights based class) for the first time on Wednesday night, only just today, Saturday morning, do I feel semi OK again.

I have had horrendous aching and pains in my Pecs, biceps and Triceps, to the point have even struggled to dress myself!
Is this normal? I have heard of no pain no gain but this is beyond that LOL
I have had to take 2 days to recover before returning to exercise!

I was hoping to go to another pump class but am very apprehensive now, as I know it will hurt again :(

Has anyone else experienced this? did you just 'get back on the horse' - so to speak?

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I was exactly the same. I couldn't move for days. Did uou use the lightest weights?
  • tnorth82
    tnorth82 Posts: 186
    Options
    yeah I told the instructior I had never done it before so she set me up, she was fab, really helpful and showed me form and stance etc.

I find individual hand weights easier than the bar, its hard to centre and balance it!
  • kfitzpa
    kfitzpa Posts: 326
    Options
    Yes! I had the same exact experience the first time. I guess I bit off more than I could chew with the amount of weight I was lifting but by the end of the class (and for a few days after) I could hardly walk, I couldnt lift my arms above my waist, I would shake like a leaf when trying to put make up on. It was agonizing lol. Try lighter weights next time and work your way up.
  • hlouisej
    hlouisej Posts: 45
    Options
    I do Body Pump regularly 1-2 per week and it's a pretty intense workout especially for arms. When you start out it's important to use the lightest weights and to make sure you get a good stretch at the end. It's worth it though once you get past that phase, if you stick at it you'll see results pretty quickly.
  • megsaroo
    megsaroo Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    That class is offered at my gym and I've been thinking about trying it, so this advice is really helpful. Other than being sore, did you all like the class? Do you just do reps the whole time? If anyone has other information about the class, I would love to hear it!
  • tnorth82
    Options
    I enjoyed the class, I love Les Mills classes, workouts to music are a great motivator for me

It was good, the whole class is reps but there are choreographed to music and 1 track will be biceps, 1 track is back etc

Im going again on Monday, see how I go this time.
    I have been trying to re-aasure myself that I was like this when I started Spinning Classes but now I go every week
  • gigglediva
    gigglediva Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Was this your first time lifting weights or just doing pump? It's usually the most painful the first time and gets less and less as you continue. You will find that you get stronger very quickly. I teach Body Pump and always tell people to use light weight to start out with and focus on form. Your instructor should give cues on how to move safely and correctly. Listen to her and always check in with yourself even if you are sure you are doing it correctly. Good form makes for a more effective workout. If anything causes actual pain (besides muscle soreness) ask for advice. Have fun!
  • Pascua_j
    Pascua_j Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE stick with it!
    BP is an amazing workout. I have had great results with it and it is the 1st time in my life I enjoy working out. I kind of think it should be on an infomercial....except it actually works!
  • Xniecex
    Xniecex Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I love love LOVE Body pump. It gets me going :)

But i remember those first few days. AYYYYYEEE. i could barely walk. But its the acid built up in your muscles just sitting there. It will hurt until you flush it out.... try using the foam rollers (looks like a funNOODLE kids use in the pool, only much bigger). its called myofascial release or something. youTUBE it. You wouldnt believe the difference!

The first time i was introduced to such a thing, a trainer used a baking rolling pin. YES, A ROLLING PIN!!! Hurt like all heck when he got to the knots but afterwards..... i had my flexibility back! Now, i roll on the foam rollers and.... AHHHHHHH :O)
  • tnorth82
    Options
    well I went again, I only used the lightest weights and it was still quite hard in places, but I dont feel as bad today, although I do still ache.

Back again wednesday! This is now part of my weekly workout! :bigsmile: