In a RUT! Help me out please/Phentermine

Options
I have been slacking....I was going to the gym five days a week ...this week I only went three times and did not work out nearly as long as I normally do. Prior to that, I hit a plateau. Not losing weight, nor gaining...thank goodness. I was recently prescribed Phentermine. I have started taking it in the hopes that I can boost my weight loss.
Two things: Any one else ever used Phentermine? AND How do I get out of this RUT??
Thanks!

Replies

• ReneeElizabeth26
    Options
    its like speen in a pill...made me super nutty. Wouldnt suggest it.. :(
  • VanishaDawn
    Options
    I was just prescribed Phentermine on Thursday, and I took my first pill yesterday along with the food plan the doctor gave me. She also gave me a B12 shot. I felt great all day, I didn't doze off at work like I usually do and I wasn't hungry until late last night. Instead of eating, I drank a couple cups of water and went to bed. This morning, I took the second pill and ate breakfast (bran cereal, skim milk, tea, and fruit) and the only side effect I feel is a little dizziness. I hope this works, for the both of us, keep us posted! Good Luck!
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I've used it before and have considered using it again, but so far have not bothered. (There's a half empty bottle sitting here on my desk as I type this.) When I did take it, it did work as an appetite suppressant and I didn't have any side effects to speak of, but as you'll gather from other posts, everyone's different and some can't tolerate it.

As I was pondering whether or not to add it back to what I'm doing now, I realized something... I don't really need an appetite suppressant. MFP self-imposes calorie restrictions and I've been too full most days to even eat all my calories I'm allotted. Simply put, for me there's nothing needing suppressing right now!

On the other hand, If you find yourself starving all the time, maybe it would work for you?
  • Amybcb
    Amybcb Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Wish my doctor would give me Phentermine. I could use the appetite suppressant part right now!! Never tried it but heard wonderful things about it. Cordianet - I'm jealous!! I get 1200 calories and though some days it seems enough (if I eat mostly fruit and veggies) other days I feel like I'm starving all day which totally sucks! :(
  • constantchaos05
    constantchaos05 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Just start mine on Monday...and for the past 2 days only sleeping 4 hours...anyone else get this? Will it go away?
  • kattp07
    kattp07 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've taken Phentermine 3 times most recentley 6 months ago.The first time I lost 10lbs,the 2nd and 3rd only7-8? I stopped taking it the last time half way through because I was having horrible heartburn and burping constantly!I felt like it stopped working after a couple of weeks anyway.I don't know why I took it 3 times!I guess I was desperate.:smile: I had horrible mood swings also.Some days I would forget to eat breakfast or lunch, and some nights I couldn't sleep more than a couple of hours!The sleeping did get better after a couple of weeks but I was exausted and found myself taking a pill early in the morning just to keep me awake durning the day.I started to have chest pains with the heartburn and my Dr. told me to stop taking it,it made me wonder if it was really safe?It does affect everyone differently,just be careful and listen to your body!
  • BigWin20
    BigWin20 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I took Phentermine in 07 for a couple of months while also doing Nutrisystem. I wasn't counting my calories, but was religious with the nutrisystem diet and was running 2-3 miles 4-5 times per week. I started with half a pill, then went up to a whole one, and never experienced any sleep issues. I lost over 50 pounds in 2 months. I don't know if it was the drug, the diet, the exercising, or more than likely a combination of the 3. I lost a ton of weight, but it burned EVERYTHING. Fat and muscle came off indiscriminantly. My wife also took it and had good results, but nothing like I had. So.........it worked for me at the time, but I don't know if it works the same for everyone. I can't say anything really negative about it other than that.
  • VanishaDawn
    Options
    UPDATE: I'm rounding out my first week on Phentermine and I'm still a little skeptical. I have been following the diet given to me loosely...mainly because I am simply not hungry at all! Last night, it was 8:30pm before I realized that I hadn't had a complete meal. Even during the day, I had a snack parfait and a cookie (just because it was there). I ate 1/2 a bowl of bran cereal and a banana, that's it. I wasn't starving this morning but I ate a grapefruit and had a glass of milk, anyway. I don't know how much weight I've dropped this week, but I don't feel any different. Oh, and as far as side effects, I have experienced a little dizziness and restlessness at night. I sleep about 5 hours and I'm pretty refreshed during the day.
  • labellavitaxo
    Options
    I'm currently on a doctor-supervised weight loss program using Phentermine 37.5mg once a day and a once-a-week b12 shot. I did this several years back and lost 40 lbs within 2 1/2 months. I then moved in with my bf and gained it all back because I decided eating what he eats was easier than eating healthy (that didn't go very well, obviously). This time, I'm just a little over a month and I've lost 15 lbs. I do get heartburn occasionally, and at times i feel quite tired at the end of the day, but I mostly chalk that up to the low-carb (under 20g/day) diet that I'm doing along with the Phentermine. Just make sure you drink a LOT LOT LOT of water and stay hydrated, otherwise you will definitely have negative side effects. The Phentermine absolutely helps cravings, and has helped me to be content eating considerably less than I did pre-Phentermine. I did a light walking workout the first time, just 30 mins a day 4-5 days a week and the weight came off rapidly. You just gotta be very careful after coming off the phentermine, as the pounds will pile back on quickly if you resume your former eating habits.
  • LelaYang
    LelaYang Posts: 43
    Options
    I don't know anything about Phentermine, but I know what you mean about being in a "rut". I'm in a rut right now and am realizing that I am the only person that can get me out of it. I've been thinking a lot about this body that I've been given. Treat it like a temple because you only get 1. Embrace your curves and strive to live a healthier leaner lifestyle. The moment I start thinking about numbers, is when I go downhill the most. It's not about how much you weigh, it's about how you feel!!! Losing weight, inches, etc. will all follow if you start treating your body with respect/love. You can do it!!!!