Eating Clean?!

Options
i have been looking into "eating clean". Any thoughts or advice?! TIA

Replies

• LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    My advice is to start small. It took me a while to transition into clean eating. Start with little changes, like replacing white rice with brown and regular bread with whole wheat, etc. Slowly start to incorporate more fruits and veggies into your diet. Learn lots of new clean recipes. Finally, cut out the processed stuff. It's actually a lot easier than you'd think!
  • jandk09
    jandk09 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    what exactly is that??
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It's not a bad idea. You can avoid a lot of chemicals, processing, and unknowns. You don't have to eat clean 100% of the time. You can just lean toward clean choices when possible. Sometimes eating clean people turn into fanatics. Please don't be one of these people :)
  • mamaclose
    mamaclose Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Read labels, go slow. I used Tosca Reno's website to start and have 2 of her books, "Just the Rules" and one of her cookbooks.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Check out this article, do some other research, then make your own decisions.

http://jcdfitness.com/2010/09/clean-eating-is-a-scam-and-why-you-should-abandon-it/

Some people think that "eating clean" is the only way to go. It all depends on how you define "clean" really.
  • jeffpettis
    Options
    It's not a bad idea. You can avoid a lot of chemicals, processing, and unknowns. You don't have to eat clean 100% of the time. You can just lean toward clean choices when possible. Sometimes eating clean people turn into fanatics. Please don't be one of these people :)

I agree! ^^^^^^^^^^
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    This is how I eat. It has been the easiest way of eating to stick to for me. I love it. I recommend getting the Eating Clean book and the Abs Diet book. They are both full of great advice and recipes!
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Give up processed foods and sodas. Absolutely give up aspartame. It is EVIL. Splenda isn't much better. Saccharin is ok, but Stevia is the best. I am not much of a carb person but brown rice and real whole wheat bread and pasta is better than the alternative. Tuna has mercury so try to avoid it. Any toxins in your foods are going to slow down you weight loss. Read label. If you can't pronounce it, don't eat it.

Oh, did I say, aspartame is evil? It gave me cataracts.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options

http://jcdfitness.com/2010/09/clean-eating-is-a-scam-and-why-you-should-abandon-it/

Some people think that "eating clean" is the only way to go. It all depends on how you define "clean" really.

I didn't read the article, I'll admit, because all I had to do was look at the URL. How on earth is clean eating a "scam"? I know there are a lot of books out there geared towards clean eating, but you don't have to buy any of them. I eat clean and I never bought a single thing to help me out. Since eating clean my stomach has leaned out and I feel so much better on a daily basis. Literally no one is benefiting from me eating clean but me. How is that a scam, again?

I do agree that it depends on how you define clean, though. I call myself a clean eater, but I do follow the 80/20 rule. Clean 80% of the time, "normal" 20% of the time. I've heard this is common for clean eaters. For example, I do buy whole wheat bread but it also has stuff I can't pronounce on the label. That's the best they have at my grocery store, and it's the best I can do right now. In my opinion it's better than nothing.
  • jeffpettis
    Options

I didn't read the article, I'll admit, because all I had to do was look at the URL. How on earth is clean eating a "scam"? I know there are a lot of books out there geared towards clean eating, but you don't have to buy any of them. I eat clean and I never bought a single thing to help me out. Since eating clean my stomach has leaned out and I feel so much better on a daily basis. Literally no one is benefiting from me eating clean but me. How is that a scam, again?

I do agree that it depends on how you define clean, though. I call myself a clean eater, but I do follow the 80/20 rule. Clean 80% of the time, "normal" 20% of the time. I've heard this is common for clean eaters. For example, I do buy whole wheat bread but it also has stuff I can't pronounce on the label. That's the best they have at my grocery store, and it's the best I can do right now. In my opinion it's better than nothing.

LOL! :laugh: I knew this would happen. Just read the article. He explains it a lot better than I can. But really, you can't use the excuse that there are a lot of books on the subject, there are a lot of infomercials on T.V. selling the "secret" to weight loss, or "you can go from 300lbs. to a six pack in 5 days" that doesn't mean it's true. Also you didn't "lean out" because you were eating clean, you leaned out because you ate at a deficit and lost fat. Like I told the OP, do some research, make your own decision on what you think is best.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Give up processed foods and sodas. Absolutely give up aspartame. It is EVIL. Splenda isn't much better. Saccharin is ok, but Stevia is the best. I am not much of a carb person but brown rice and real whole wheat bread and pasta is better than the alternative. Tuna has mercury so try to avoid it. Any toxins in your foods are going to slow down you weight loss. Read label. If you can't pronounce it, don't eat it.

This is one of those fanatic-statements.

What makes you think aspartame is responsible for your cataracts. I never drank diet or ate diet anything with aspartame, and I had cataracts. That's just silly.
  • cultofpersonality
    Options
    I'd say I'm 80-90% clean. To be honest, clean eating is what came first for me; it was my priority over weight loss. The more I got into eating clean, the more I got into losing weight and getting into shape. And it's been great for me! I don't find it difficult at all, especially considering I used to eat awfully. More fruit & vegetables; more whole grains; more lean meats and fish and so on. It's just making smarter choices and avoiding things that are pretty much just full of crap. A lot more home-cooking too, which is great for me personally! It's quite a challenge, but easing into it slowly is a good idea. The most crappy food I eat is most likely store bought bread, but apart from that, my diet is pretty basic. I'd definitely recommend it.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Sometimes eating clean people turn into fanatics

. . . . . . . . .
    Absolutely give up aspartame. It is EVIL.

Any toxins in your foods are going to slow down you weight loss

See?
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    \ Since eating clean my stomach has leaned out\

So you ate a deficit and your dropped BF%. Or are you saying your were eating something you may of had an allergy to, and now that your not eating it inflammation has gone down?

either way great work!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    I can pronounce Mercury. And Aspartame, for that matter.
  • Colofit
    Colofit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Didn't know it had a name for it...I think it's just common sense!! Give your body what it wants so you can exercise well and get to the weight your body should be at which happens to make you feel and look great. Chemicals and processed crap doesn't really have a place! 80/20 makes sense as we are human and I sure like some wine or chocolate in my life!!! Wish I would have thought to write a book about eating real food...damn.......
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    wine and chocolate is not "clean"? who said that
  • sdoldsMD2013
    sdoldsMD2013 Posts: 128
    Options
    Well, I do hope you do what's best for you and your lifestyle. But for me, I found that limiting intake of certain foods set me up for failure, each and every time. This time around, I count calories. I do try to incorporate fresh fruits and veggies, but there is nothing that is off limits for me nutritionally. Of course, I eat in moderation paying close attention to my caloric intake, but I don't limit any foods, if i want a fried pork-chop, I may pair it with fresh steamed broccoli, rice, or a baked potato, or mac and cheese, or anything that I want for that matter. To me eating different things and trying new recipes is a wonderful experience, and I never want to have an unhealthy relationship with food again. This time around, I'm seeing the results that I always wanted to see, and it's not a diet, it is a lifestyle that I can maintain forever. :-)
  • bobeena81
    bobeena81 Posts: 10
    Options
    Fight nice everybody......lol

I am not able to eat lactose so I am trying to find a nutrition plan that is healthy as well as being able to help aid me down my weight loss path.
  • bobeena81
    bobeena81 Posts: 10
    Options
    Only thing I am fanatic about is life ;)