Fake Sugars, are they worth it?

Options
Hey Everyone,

I had a question.

I'm doing the "heart healthy" oatmeal thing daily. And I was using 6 tsp sugar (I know, it's bad, 90 cals).

I switched over to Sun Crystals (it's a Stevia mixed sugar), 4 packets, 20 cals.

So, I'm saving 70 cals.

My question is, besides saving more calories, is there any health benefit what so ever?

Is the only pro of using Stevia is saving the calories?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I usually use Splenda, I really like it, and it saves calories, but I don't know if there are any "other" health benefits from it.
  • sweetgl
    sweetgl Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    There are no other health benefits from it but its sure is alot better to use than regular sugar. I'm def a suga substitue girl myself. :smile:
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    Stevia isn't a fake sugar. Stevia is an herb. Splenda is basically sugar bleach... sugar that's been molecularly-altered in a test tube. Sucralose (splenda), aspartame (equal), sacchrine (sweet & low) etc are all fake, artificial, manmade substances. Stevia, as an herb, has antioxidants which reduce free radicals in your body helping to prevent cancer and slow aging in general. There are studies which point to stevia being helpful in treating hypertension and diabetes, but not enough to be conclusive. Do a google search for benefits of stevia for more info. But yes, if you're going to sweeten something, most definitely use raw sugar, stevia, agave necter, or honey. Go natural. :bigsmile:
  • bikinibrooke123
    Options
    splenda,sweet'n'low,or equal.

thats what i use:wink:
  • estherguas
    estherguas Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm a Splenda girl myself.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    But yes, if you're going to sweeten something, most definitely use raw sugar, stevia, agave necter, or honey. Go natural. :bigsmile:

I use the same things. I love using raw sugar or honey. I'm not a huge fan of stevia (I personally don't like the taste) but my hubby loves it. It's worth a try and it's much better for you than processed sugar or fake sugar substitutes.
  • verifire
    Options
    i also advocate natural sweeteners. chemicals are not worthwhile.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    i also advocate natural sweeteners. chemicals are not worthwhile.
    Everything is a chemical, or made up of chemicals, even Stevia. You are confusing "chemicals" with "man-made substances". They are not the same thing at all.
  • candessb
    candessb Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'd just like to add that I use Stevia as well and it DOES have healthy benefits. :happy: Splenda was not approved by the FDA until the then surgeon general passed it...who now works for Splenda. EHEM!:noway:
  • alepublicity
    alepublicity Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love splenda!
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid "fake" sugars. Can you get by with less than 6 teaspoons of sugar? That seems like a lot for one bowl of oatmeal.

Or substitute honey??
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I love Splenda - tastes good and no calories. I posted the following info in another post about splenda being "dangerous":

Over 100 studies showed no signs of carcinogenicity, reproductive toxicology, neurotoxicology, or genetic toxicology as a result of sucralose administration over all clinical study parameters. The only signs that sucralose can cause problems occured when amounts much much higher than normal daily amounts a human would consume were administered to test animals.

See the link below - it's a great academic review of Sucralose (Splenda) with lots of references. This is where I got the information I just stated from.

http://www.kon.org/urc/frank.html
  • Samantha1987
    Options
    I just miss the taste of reg ol' oatmeal, lol (I know I'm not eating for taste anymore, I try to look at it as energy now).

But yeah, I guess I'll stick with Stevia. I looked up what the daily recommended intake for sugar was, and it's says 12 teaspoons, just for one meal I was meeting HALF of that.

I think I'll use reg sugar 1x a week, so I don't get burnt out on the taste.

For anyone wondering how Sun Crystals works with oatmeal, it DOES sweeten it, but the taste is a bit different, BUT NOT bad. I don't notice an after taste (like you'd expect from Sweet N' Low-Pink).

I just tried some with iced tea, I'd probably still reach for the "pink" sugar for iced tea, 1 packet for 8 oz. Sun Crystals, probably 2.

Thanks for posting guys.
  • Samantha1987
    Options
    I'm going to test Splenda for oatmeal, next time I go to the store, I'll pick up some. I'll see if I can actually get that "reg sugar" taste.

I'll report back here, lol.

Thanks again!
  • heatherscalf
    Options
    I love splenda there are many different things you can use it for and now that it can have fiber in it. You can help get your daily grams of fiber as well. Splenda also won't mess with your blood glucose levels (that's why it's ok for diabetics). I tryed stevia but it just tastes funny to me. I prefer splenda plus if you like your tea sweet at restuarants, you can usually get splenda.:happy:
  • jenners22
    Options
    Hey Everyone,

I had a question.

I'm doing the "heart healthy" oatmeal thing daily. And I was using 6 tsp sugar (I know, it's bad, 90 cals).

I switched over to Sun Crystals (it's a Stevia mixed sugar), 4 packets, 20 cals.

So, I'm saving 70 cals.

My question is, besides saving more calories, is there any health benefit what so ever?

Is the only pro of using Stevia is saving the calories?

Thanks in advance!

NOOOOOO! :noway: OMG....please don't use fake sugars. If you need sugar, use regular sugar. Those fake sugars are so processed with many carcinogenic ingrediants. I mean, they are all the rage, but too many are linked to cancer. Oh, please anyone reading this...don't sacrifice your body's shape to save a few calories...it's not worth risking cancer.

I may be crazy, but all the diet drugs (alli included)...are linked to cancer causing agents. Love your body..keep it natural.
  • Advengirl
    Advengirl Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    (I know I'm not eating for taste anymore, I try to look at it as energy now).

Good stuff can taste good! You just need some good recipes :)
    Yes...food is energy, but if you don't enjoy it- well- what's going to keep you from splurging on the stuff that you DO enjoy once you've lost all your weight and get comfortable again?

Okay okay--- I'm a 'foodie.'

But I totally understand what you mean about missing the taste of the yummy oatmeal my Mom used to make.
  • doogie1117
    Options
    I use Splenda and feel that it is just another chemical that is not good for you ?
  • doogie1117
    Options
    Oatmeal is a carb that makes me hungrier ? I need some protein for satiety.
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I just miss the taste of reg ol' oatmeal, lol (I know I'm not eating for taste anymore, I try to look at it as energy now).

Ever consider mixing a scoop of protein powder in with your oatmeal?? it will sweeten it up plenty and add some quality protein to your meal. It will add some cals thou, roughly 100 and change. But thats not much more then the sugar you were using. The health benefits to subbing out sugar is your not consuming sugar.