1200 Calories causing "skinny fat"?

Options

Replies

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    hi amberlyn. I am praying for you to reach your goals. seems like you have a good attitude. it's all about attitude and lifestyle at the end of the day. i was skinny most of my life. early, it was just youth and genes. but i also was very active. later, i had to work at it and did. my lifestyle changed a few year ago, and weight gain came with it. redirecting my lifestyle to get back to a good weight. mainly i would say to you...pray to God for dedication, focus, and a will to work hard. i didnt see that you are exercising. you should add that in if you are not. but other than that, you sound like you are doing the right thing. take care.

p.s. a good story. i met a lady about a year ago. she was in her 70s and very small. she said she had been overweight her entire life but at 50 decided to make a change. she exercised, changed her diet and lost over 100 pounds. she said she walks an hours and half every evening.

I do actually walk everyday. I don't log it, because I don't think that it should be added to it honestly. I do work out about 3-4 times a week. I log it sometimes, I forget other times. But I will try to be better with logging the workouts, like I am with my food. I go to the gym, and I also do Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. I don't do it every single day tho, I just do it when I feel like i need to get some sort of workout in, and I just don't have the time to go to the gym, so I can just do it in my living room, with my daughter, and we have fun doing it together! My gym doesn't provide childcare while I work out, so I do have to do the in home stuff occasionally, but I can't really use that as an excuse, I have made new goals this week, I typically make a new goal every week, to keep my focus and such. And I am going to be going to the gym more now, than I was before, and I'll be sure to log it in more often. Even if I have to wake up at three am to go, because I'm already up at five getting ready for work!
    Why dont you log it? I usually burn several hundred cals on a walk. Someone larger would burn even more
  • SexyBoomer
    SexyBoomer Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    As someone who was anorexic many years ago, I can spot the warning signs in others... Girlfriend. You are beautiful, as you are you at 118. You want to look healthy, not emaciated.. your body is trying to tell you something. Just concentrate on life and filling it with exercise and joy and you will stay beautiful.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    I need help on this subject as well, and would love for people to message me and help me with it. I have put myself to a goal of losing 2lbs per week, and it has given me a 1285 cal a day. I have not had a problem with it either. I think that I am eating well, but someone could go to my food diary and give me suggestions to see if there is anything I should change, or shouldn't do. I know I do eat somethings that aren't necessarily the best for me, but I have been told that if it's in moderation it's okay, which I am trying to do. But I am now only eating when I start to feel a little hungry, I also drink a lot of water. But typically 1200 calories hasn't been making me feel like I'm starving. IDK what I should be doing!
    Typically crap in moderation is a lot of crap if your only eating 1200. I suggest going to your doctor and if you want to eat that little do so via them. At least it well be supervised. I usually aim for 4 digit numbers that start with 2. Oh and I am 5'7 and usually hit 118 lbs on my low days
  • amberlynyeager
    Options
    I don't log the walks because I walked before I went on this journey.. So I believe that it's just a usual thing... For example, you know that food servers walk a lot in a restaurant all day at work right. Would they count that as exercise? I doubt it... So I really don't think that it would be beneficial for me to log walking when I was already doing it at a much larger size, and never lost any weight while doing it. The weight loss started after I started to eat less, go to the gym & doing my work out dvds, & eating much healthier food.
  • debbiestine
    debbiestine Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I eat around1200-1300 calories a day and what made a big difference for me was the foods I was eating. My diary is public (yours isn't) so go ahead and see how much I eat- try to eat clean most of the time. when I put my protein to 100 and dropped my carbs also to 100- I lost fat and now I look small and muscular. I'm 5ft2 110 ( I was 130 when I started in Jan and then plateaued at 118lbs like you- before I changed to more protein, less carb.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    I don't log the walks because I walked before I went on this journey.. So I believe that it's just a usual thing... For example, you know that food servers walk a lot in a restaurant all day at work right. Would they count that as exercise? I doubt it... So I really don't think that it would be beneficial for me to log walking when I was already doing it at a much larger size, and never lost any weight while doing it. The weight loss started after I started to eat less, go to the gym & doing my work out dvds, & eating much healthier food.
    If you go to a doctor and get your tdee checked yes you would see it absolutely counts as exercise. People dont just stop burning calories because you think so. Everyone estimating their tdee should absolutely not say they have a desk job when they are on their feet all day...unless they are like you and trying to be as inaccurate as possible. Weight loss is full of math and science. It doesnt change just because you choose to ignore it.
  • future_runner
    future_runner Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    It would be good to see your diary. You say you have bad eating habits but that could mean you just think eating a few large meals to hit your calories is bad, but it's not inherently bad and works for a lot of people. When I hear bad habits I take that to mean you get your 1200 calories from bad sources, like 2 slices of pizza, a salad with ranch, and a coke. If that's the case your problem has nothing to do with how many calories you are eating and everything to do with how you are getting them.

I'm not sure what you mean about your work schedule either. Do you mean you find out that morning when you work? Like when you wake up? You can plan for it if you even know a day in advance. I would say though you need some fruit, hummus, hard boiled eggs, baby carrots, and some sort of whole grain mini bagels or crackers. Every week you put these snacks in containers for each day to take to work with you. You get breaks at work. If you don't do not bother telling me that, call a lawyer and the local BBB. You take the things I mentioned to work to snack on during your breaks. Eat fruit first thing when you wake up, have a meal with veggies and proteins a little later, then veggie, protein and carbs for dinner. Don't forget healthy fats like nuts and avocados. You can eat better with your schedule, it will just take some work.
  • amberlynyeager
    Options
    smh I am not here to argue with anyone, we're all different, and all of our bodies work differently. I appreciate your advice and opinion, and I'll do with it as I please. I do in fact work at a desk every single day... So being "inaccurate" about what I do, isn't necessarily the correct term. But regardless, I am not here to argue with anyone. This is to better myself, and not allow someone else get my panties in a bunch. So have a wonderful day :-) I wish all the best for you, and that you achieve all of your goals.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    smh I am not here to argue with anyone, we're all different, and all of our bodies work differently.

a) who's arguing?
    b) You are not different http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    The best ways to avoid "skinny fat" (which is when you lose a lot of muscle with your fat leaving you at your goal weight but with little muscle and remaining fat) are to eat enough protein (1 gram per pound of lean body mass), lift weights, and maintain a small to moderate calorie deficit.
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    i feel better now.. i weigh more than 100 lbs more than you and am on 1500 a day and i am starving with headaches.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    i am managing fine on 1200 calories and exercise normally about 500 extra calories a day and rarely eat them all back, think peoples bodies react differently and you should try different levels til you find something you are comfortable at. i am still losing weight this way.

Sounds like you're on the anorexia plan. That means ' youre getting about 600 NET calories a day.
    Unless you had bariatric in the last month and need to lose 100+ pounds you really should rethink this.
    I'm not even going to go into all the reasons why and this kind of post just make me want scream.
  • inagaddadavegan
    inagaddadavegan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're super sensitive to something in your diet?
    We're complex beings in a 21st century world of food that mostly isn't natural for us.
    /.../

This could be... I can really tell when I get too many processed grains, really trying to eliminate them completely. I feel fine when I'm eating lots of complex carbs though.

You mentioned dairy, it's interesting I had all kinds of digestive problems and was run through many (expensive) medical tests... no one ever thought to suggest that I was lactose intolerant. When I eliminated dairy for other reasons, turns out, my digestive problems went away.

Everyone's talking about eating lots of protein but I'd like to just throw this out - excessive protein can really tax the kidneys, and there is a respectable amount of research showing that over time, this can seriously damage your kidneys. Protein isn't like Vitamin C, you actually can get too much of a good thing. Sustainable weight loss should be healthy - so be careful not to lose the weight by doing something that you can't do for the rest of your life ;)

It's also easy to oversimplify by calling everything "calories" but they're not all created equal. You're better off eating 300 Cal in avocado than half as many in Twinkies.
  • 4alison4
    4alison4 Posts: 54
    Options
    My advice would be to lift heavily (as much weight as you can put up) and eat back at least some of your exercise calories.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    We're complex beings in a 21st century world of food that mostly isn't natural for us.
    /.../

Everyone's talking about eating lots of protein but I'd like to just throw this out - excessive protein can really tax the kidneys, and there is a respectable amount of research showing that over time, this can seriously damage your kidneys.

The only research of which I am aware says that high protein diets can accelerate the progression of ongoing or underlying renal disease. High protein increases GFR and, in animal models, at least, can lead to renal hypertrophy, but it doesn't seem to induce disease or impair function. The only study I know where protein was toxic to healthy kidneys is a rat study where females of one particular strain of rats sustained kidney damage from being fed a diet high in a certain bacterial protein. Do you have a link to any other human (or even animal) studies that show dietary protein as a causative agent of kidney disease in previously healthy individuals with no underlying renal issues?
  • inagaddadavegan
    Options
    i am managing fine on 1200 calories and exercise normally about 500 extra calories a day and rarely eat them all back, think peoples bodies react differently and you should try different levels til you find something you are comfortable at. i am still losing weight this way.

Sounds like you're on the anorexia plan. That means ' youre getting about 600 NET calories a day.
    Unless you had bariatric in the last month and need to lose 100+ pounds you really should rethink this.
    I'm not even going to go into all the reasons why and this kind of post just make me want scream.

I lost weight like crazy when I was exercising like that and eating it back, or sometimes drinking it back in beer - LOL beer doesn't make you fat. Sitting on a bar stool drinking beer makes you fat, right? These days I'm behind a desk again, logging those 10 miles a week I get from walking a mile each way between my office and the train ;P I have to remind myself to eat at least some of the calories back.
  • inagaddadavegan
    Options
    /.../

Everyone's talking about eating lots of protein but I'd like to just throw this out - excessive protein can really tax the kidneys, and there is a respectable amount of research showing that over time, this can seriously damage your kidneys.

The only research of which I am aware says that high protein diets can accelerate the progression of ongoing or underlying renal disease. High protein increases GFR and, in animal models, at least, can lead to renal hypertrophy, but it doesn't seem to induce disease or impair function. The only study I know where protein was toxic to healthy kidneys is a rat study where females of one particular strain of rats sustained kidney damage from being fed a diet high in a certain bacterial protein. Do you have a link to any other human (or even animal) studies that show dietary protein as a causative agent of kidney disease in previously healthy individuals with no underlying renal issues?

Well if your body has to work the kidneys extra hard to remove the protein, it makes sense to me that perhaps there is a place of diminishing returns with it. Your body must not need that much if the kidneys have to remove it, right? I'm not convinced that over-taxed hypertrophied kidneys is a beneficial thing.

Be that as it may, and again, I'm just throwing this out there -- we don't always know if we have an underlying renal issue. We could walk around on a regular diet getting the RDA of protein and not experience any problems until we start getting too much protein. So ... just a caution.

EDIT to add - this actually happened to my mom, her kidneys functioned very well on a moderate protein intake but she started having problems after increasing it. I know that's not the scientific link you asked for but at least for me, I have seen it can happen.
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    First of all, I agree with most of the other posters who think you need to eat more. Find out what your BMR (basal metabolic rate) is, and you can always tweak your plan from there. There is a BMR calculator here on MFP under Tools.

Secondly, make sure your plan includes a lot of good quality proteins. Protein is what is going to help you build muscle while losing the fat.

Lastly, what kind of exercise do you do? If it is only cardio, add some weightlifting in. Cardio will make you look smaller, and help with endurance, but will not build as much muscle as weights. That could be contributing to what you see as "skinny fat".