sick of low carb!!!

Options
IM ALREADY SICK OF LOW CARB!!! I consulted with a dietitian and he put me on no more than 120 carbs per day. Ok, no problem. But then I was so carb conscience that I was way under eating my calories. Then I upped my calories and go over carbs. stupid vicious cycle. AND I MISS FRUIT! i mean I cant have a whole apple or banana? Or even half a frickin cup of grapes without going over my carbs?

sorry. gotta vent. at home alone now today and going crazy lol do you think its ok if I go over carbs?? since this whole life change is way more than the dietitian ever even asked for? I just want to do whats right and most efficient for weight loss. Help :(

Replies

• eatthepudding
    Options
    Why can't you have fruit? In terms of net carbs, an apple has about 15-20g, a medium banana has 20-25g and a half cup of grapes has around 15g. All well within your 120g allowance.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Why can't you have fruit? In terms of net carbs, an apple has about 15-20g, a medium banana has 20-25g and a half cup of grapes has around 15g. All well within your 120g allowance.

^ This. I keep my carbs just a little higher and I eat fruit every day. I am not a big bread and potato person. That helps. I glanced at your diary and your carbs are way lower than 120. Even factoring in your exercise calories they are below 80 for the last 2 days.
  • SpydrMnky27
    SpydrMnky27 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    That's still a good chunk of carbs you can eat. I try to keep mine under 100g and I eat fruit daily.
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    120g carbs? You definitely have room for fruit.
  • mmarlow61
    mmarlow61 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Don't forget when counting carbs you deduct your fiber from them.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I understand feeling restricted. I don't typically eat more than 120 carbs and I'm not even trying to be "low carb" that much. I have lots of fruit (eating a banana, strawberry and yogurt smoothie for lunch right now) and I eat potatoes quite often (had a baked potato for dinner last night). Eating fewer than 120 g carb might mean that you don't eat bread with every meal or a big bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, and a sandwich for lunch, AND pasta for dinner, but it doesn't mean you can't have some fruit.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    hm. You can have fruit. Try eliminating bread, pasta, rice. That will help alot. Take away corn, even better. You'll feel lots better. You may need to increase your fats to make up for the kcals.

My Macros are set at 30%Carbs/45%Fat/25%Protein. That puts me at 128 Carbs for a 1700 cal plan. I rarely hit that many carbs, and I eat potatoes and dairy. It's the grains, fruit and sugar that gets ya.
  • AudreyMac48
    AudreyMac48 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear this. The dietician seems extreme and is not setting you up for longterm healthy nutrition. Whole grains and tons of veggies and 2 to three fruits a day is really appropriate. I hope it works out for you. Your frustration is absolutely valid. I blended my daily nutrition from Dr. Oz's suggestions from "You on a Diet" and "Eat to Live" (this doc is a total vegan which would have the "low carbers" up in arms. Are you on low carb because of an illness like diabetes?
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Sorry to hear this. The dietician seems extreme and is not setting you up for longterm healthy nutrition. Whole grains and tons of veggies and 2 to three fruits a day is really appropriate. I hope it works out for you. Your frustration is absolutely valid. I blended my daily nutrition from Dr. Oz's suggestions from "You on a Diet" and "Eat to Live" (this doc is a total vegan which would have the "low carbers" up in arms. Are you on low carb because of an illness like diabetes?

"Dr." Oz, if you want to call him that, I'm sure doesn't have all the info about this lady that her dietician has. Grains are not a necessary part of a normal diet. They won't hurt you in the long run, but you don't need a lot of them. One or two portions of bread and one serving of fruit is plenty.

[/b]
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I could not make low carb work for me LONG TERM. I gained back everything I lost and then some.

Think - Can I eat this way for the REST OF MY LIFE?

If the answer is no, then I humbly suggest looking into a different strategy.

All diets work for weight loss - on a temporary basis. The question is, can I do this for the rest of my life?

Find out what a healthy fit you can eat and how they move. Begin to do that NOW. Eventually you will become that person. Simple? Yes. Easy? No, but WAY doable... And the weight comes off in a healthy manner.

Won't sell very many diet books, however. Oh well...

Good luck!
  • questionablemethods
    Options

120 g carb is extreme?

Could you clarify why grains are necessary?
  • imissbagels
    imissbagels Posts: 166 Member
    Options

I dont know what that means :-(
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options

Fiber isn't digestible, and won't cause a rise in blood sugar.

On a nutrition label, under 'carbohydrate', it's broken into 'fiber' and sugars'

You can safely deduct the 'fiber' number from the carbs listed..it doesn't count.

and 120 grams isn't really low carb at all..you can eat fruit :)
  • cmriverside
    Options

It means if you have say, 100g of carbs in your day, but you've eaten 20 grams of fiber, you can deduct the 20 from the 100, leaving you with a Net Carb of 80.
  • CountryMom03
    CountryMom03 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I feel ya!:) I am also trying to keep my carbs to 100g a day and its TUFF!!! BUT...that being said, the reason why its tuff on me is because I love breads, pastas, sugar so much. You just have to really cut back on that type of stuff. You can have fruit, just have to factor in what you want to eat each day and prioritize what you want to eat most. I too used to have a problem reaching my cals without going over on carbs but the way to solve that is to include stuff like meats and cheeses, fish, etc. Those are items that have no carbs (most of them) and lots of cals. Also...sugar is in just about everything and each tsp of sugar is 4g of carbs!!! So watch your sugar!:)
  • imissbagels
    imissbagels Posts: 166 Member
    Options

I have metabolic syndrome and high LDLs. The dietitian put me on this because my sister and I were on our way to being diabetic if we didn't change how we live.
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    I could not make low carb work for me LONG TERM.
    120 g carb might be lowER carb than the standard American diet.... but look where that is getting most people. It is certainly not "low carb." That's about what I get a day and I don't even try to go low carb. I just concentrate on nutrient-dense foods and not filler foods like breads and sugar. Doesn't mean I never eat them, but they don't give me anything besides a short-term "fix," so they aren't a major part of my diet. I still am around 120-140g carbs a day--including potatoes with breakfast, lots of fruit, and some chocolate after dinner.