Think I should include Dayquil and Nyquil into my diary?

Options
I am sick with step throat and per doctors orders take some dayquil or nyquil whenever I need and ibuprofen and my antibiotics... I found out that Dayquil has 93 calories per dose and that is really harsh since you can take it every four hours and I pretty much have to take it to eat?

Replies

• p_barron
    p_barron Posts: 63
    Options
    BUMP
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I don't know really, but if it were me I would. I'm just kind of anal that way in tracking my cals....my vitamins/fish oil etc all have cals and I put them in.
  • kasebrad
    kasebrad Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Why not just take Dayquil/Nyquil pills? I'm pretty sure those are calorie free, unlike the syrup.
  • p_barron
    Options
    I need the syrup to coat my throat that is the whole point.... I have tried other cough medicines but they don't coat as well
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should worry about your calorie intake while you're that sick! Take care of your strep throat, don't eat crazy, and get back to tracking when you feel better.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    93 calories is a lot...especially if your strep throat is not preventing you from eating real food too. I would track it.
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    If it has that many calories, then yeah you should track it, if it was like 5-10, I would, but that wouldn't be totally necessary.
  • ivikatasha
    ivikatasha Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have a cold right now and I am not bothering to log the Halls cough drops.... I am sick so my metabolism will be increased anyway, which hopefully negates the cough drops. Honestly, I just wouldn't worry about it, because you will need extra calories anyway to help you get better,
  • comogirl
    comogirl Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I would log them but be aware that the body burns more calories when it has to heal itself (or in your case rid it of infection) so I wouldnt stress about the extra intake.
  • new318
    new318 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I would
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Check and see how many calories they are. If not much, I wouldn't worry unless you are downing half the bottle a day. Also, you are sick, so you will burn more calories, too. So I don't know if I would worry about it too much.

Feel better soon.
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I wish I never read this :(
  • b0t23
    b0t23 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    When I was sick and taking nyquil I logged my calories.

of course, I would worry more about feeling better than anything else. but I did log them.

just eat/drink lots of soup. soup is usually low calorie.

drink TONS of water.

sip cups of chicken broth.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Unless you take it daily, there is no point. Even if taken in a week, you will not have a problem. If you're attributing weight gain to Dayquill/Nyquill, I suggest you recheck your nutrition plan.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't. b/c if i were that sick, i wouldn't be on MFP at all.
  • p_barron
    Options
    Unless you take it daily, there is no point. Even if taken in a week, you will not have a problem. If you're attributing weight gain to Dayquill/Nyquill, I suggest you recheck your nutrition plan.

I'm not really that worried about it I was just wondering I don't think it really has anything due to weight gain considering in the last three days I lost four pounds..... I was just wondering
  • starla5881
    starla5881 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Why not take a break from logging while you're sick, and just focus on eating healthy foods when you're hungry? Your body has different needs when it's working on healing, and if you're sacrificing eating real food to account for the DayQuil calories, then you're doing yourself a disservice.
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't, you need to give your body a chance to recover so this is not the time to be restricting calories. Once you are back to full health you can restart your food diary. Hope you feel better soon.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I like to log everything just so I have a record of it. But I wouldn't worry about sticking to a calorie limit while sick.

You have nothing in your diary for Thursday, and yesterday it's a poptart and some ramen. If that's all you ate, Nyquil is clearly not going to put you over your limit. And if you're diary isn't accurate, then why would you care about logging medicine?

But if you're asking the question of whether it "counts" towards weight loss, then yes, all calories count.
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I've had strep 3 times within the last 8 months and I never logged any medicine. Shoot, I barely logged what little I was able to eat! I wouldn't worry about it. You're cals/weight are gonna be off until you resume a normal eating/workout routine again. Just focus on getting better.

Hope you feel better soon. I know how much strep sucks!!